Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Because Racecar.........! Team Eircooled Drag Project.

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
Picture 260.jpg

here's the donkey tzar.

2165cc

78mm crank - borrowed from 56 oval
lightened flywheel - borrowed from 56 oval

weber 48 IDA carbs - borrowed from kvinyl

autolinear aluminium race case.
unitech rods 5.4"
engle W125 camshaft
scat lightweight followers
scat 1.25-1 ratio rockers
manton chrome-moly pushrods
94mm piston / barrels
cb044 cylinder heads with 40mm intake 35.5 exhaust valves.
combustion chambers reduced to 56cc.
comp ratio 9.6-1
deep sump
1 5/8" fully merged header
009 distributor
kenedy stage 2 pressure plate
cushlok clutch plate
bolt on rocker covers
26mm shadek oil pump with full flow filteration
used alternator and tinware.

it was run up on a single carb to break in the camshaft

we need to strip 1 carb, blocked passages we think.
then get it on the dyno.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Went at the chassis tonight, swapped out the wheels for some that hold air so i don't have to pump them every time I need to move it. Then I started removing that last few bits like starter, pedals, heater controls, shocks, an pipes etc. It's ready to be cut now. Typically the passenger side floor is actually not that bad, only needs a patch near the rear corner at the jacking point. The side I have in stock is the passenger side, typical. Should I replace or repair? I defo need a drivers side floorpan. Chipping away at the old body gasket an sound deadening too. That's all off now.

Last edited:

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
On Saturday Graham an a new helper Kyle came round to give me a hand getting the body an pan ready for welding. They arrived at 9, awesome apprentices I have! I set them up with air chisels an regular ones an left them to attack the body an get rid of the final fiberglass an filler. I had to go off for 30mins an when I came back I was greeted with some rather disappointing news. GZR is a bigger shit heap than I though, (Ross was right). I was actually gutted after all the work I had done in getting to this point.....

P1140402.jpg

Warning:Don't let these guys loose on your car with a hammer an chisel...

After a while, once I got over the shock of how bad the shell was, I decided to crack on an get going on the pan. I cut off the floors an the guys started removing the spot welds on the lip of the spine.
545921_10151333799396651_290383099_n.jpg

It turned out great, the spine is almost ready for the new pans, a little welling in the front corners a a polish of the lip with a flap disk an I'll be welding!

Now the search begins for a body or repair section for the rear inner wing!

Last edited:

broz

Club Member
Club Member
June 8, 2011
glanmire
I'll be calling to kieran53 this week for floor pans, and I'm heading to Kilkenny next sat for a session, so if ye want parts from him, let me know.

Last edited:

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
After weight up the odds regarding bodies/repair panels/time/cost an the lack of options, myself an my Dad decided to go halves on a new donor car that turned up locally rather than persist with GZR. It was money we dont have to spend but hopefully we can offload parts like the sweet running 1200cc motor an possibly GZR's chassis an logbook to get some of our cash back.

So here it is, Drag Project Part 2......

Its a 72/3 1200 bug and although it looks like shit an the wings are rotten the body is pretty good and the pans are very good. Hopefully we'll get away with patching it rather than needing repair panels an with a bit of look we wont have to lift the body off. I drove the car home, all the light work, so do the wipers an it stops an starts. Thats got to be better/quicker than building GZR!

It must be a racecar, its got buckets, harnesses and a sport wheel!!! LOL

An its an old club member too!!!

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Kyle called over tonight an he an my Dad stripped out the interior to see what the floors an heater channels looked like.

P1140426.jpg

So far so good, the pans are solid.
P1140415.jpg

The heater channels at the front seem okay.
P1140413.jpg

P1140411.jpg

I'm amazed how good it is here.
P1140412.jpg

The only bad bit is in the rear corner on the passenger side.
P1140419.jpg

It's funny the things you find in old cars!
P1140420.jpg

An the strings still in the box.

Next will be to stick it in the lift an remove the wings an bumpers.