Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Because Racecar.........! Team Eircooled Drag Project.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
No! I've attacked it with the plasma an air chisel an have adding lightness for the last few days when I got a chance. Nothing the really see in photos apart from half a wheel barrow full of seat rails, seat mounts, brackets, trim tabs an jacking points. Amazing how much you can cut off.

Found out that my spare doors are a right an a left. The doors off the car an even off GZR are far too good to cut up so the spare doors will be seeing the hole saw an plasma over the weekend.

Gzr will be donating the front clip so the plan for tomorrow is to fit the front end, make the removable rear valance brackets an start the repairs. Mick will be down so progress will be good.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
hurry up helmet, if you'd have left it alone and just thrown the motor in you could have been racing today.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
I've been finding it hard to get time on the car this week so as of yet I have not fired up the welder but last week I got busy with the plasma an air chisel cutting off unwanted metal an on Saturday, with the help of Kyle an Mick, we attacked the interior with wire wheels an degreaser to try remove all the crap, glue an underseal from inside the car.

Its starting to look respectable in there!

The dash was cut out so I can mount new dials.

Under the bonnet, everything was removed, no bracket or tabs left.

Firewall got the same treatment.

We also cut the front clip off GZR an started to trim the old crap repair ready to line up the replacement front end.

The little bit that I did do this week include taking the wirewheel to any rust bubble I found on the body an I also measured up and cut an access hole in the luggage floor to get at the starter an clutch adjuster, I'll have to

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
That shell is looking rather respectable now! A few evenings with the welder and then you'll be painting it. From there on in it will all be forward progress.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Thanks, trying to balance working on house an car at the moment. Shell is good all right, it's all ready for welding now, there is more cleaning but I will do that again, I need to get on with welding. Channels are wrecked but I'm not fitting new ones till winter, need to get the car out so I'll patch them an build it up. There'll be no paint this season till the whole car is built up a all mods are finished, tried an tested. Then I'll tear it down for paint an channels.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Just a quick update mostly for Caddy an Ben's benefit. I finally broke out the welder on Saturday an I've be working away each evening. I started with the dash, not the repairs. I'm letting in the panel for the smooth dash an it's painfully slow as I want to avoid warping it due to heat. I'm going for a smooth dash as the original was hacked to bits for radios, alarm sensors an switches. I've got some Smiths gauges so I'll be using then instead. I need a tacho, oil temp, an other stuff that's not on a bug so I figured this was the easiest/tidiest option. Between tacks I've been dollying dents in the floor an welding up holes I made when I was learning the art of removing spot welds with an air chisel. I've also started welding up small rust holes in the pan, scuttle panel, around rear windows an unwanted holes under the dash.

I'll post pics when there's some finished welding done.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Hows it going tsar, were going to be working our asses off between now and the 7th, Have to find my fuel pressure issue and a few more top end tweaks and get it back to the rollers, Dave is yet to have his motor back together as he's snowed under with customers engines (no bad complaint) But we will burn the midnight oil to get to the next event, you gonna be ready and get that engine a chance to do something this season?

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Just a quick update mostly for Caddy an Ben's benefit. I need a tacho, oil temp, an other stuff that's not on a bug so I figured this was the easiest/tidiest option

You just need an oil light, fuck the rest of it if it means you can get it to the track.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Lol, i popped up to daves today and witnessed how much he has to do with his engine before the next event , lol, youve got it easy street mate.!!!!!

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Here's pics of what I did last month before I had todo some stuff for the house/work an then leg it around Europe for 2weeks....

Cutting out rust...

Letting in sections to the heater channels.... Which will be replaced over Xmas....

Welding in the smooth dash to allow new dials to be fitted- a painfully slow job to avoid warping.

Filling aerial hole.

Filling petrol flap.

While I was at that, my Dad got stuck in an cleaned up the 1200 motor ready for sale!

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Doing what I can to get the car rolling for the drag day, I've been away for 2 weeks hols, came back to a manic week in work where I'm doing overtime everyday an I'm busy this Sunday too......

P1140910.jpg

Anyway, Saturday/Sunday I finished patching an filling all the holes in the dash area.
P1140911.jpg

Ben will love me wasting time here but I wanted to do it while the front is still off the car as it easier to get to.

P1140912.jpg

Rushing these patches buckled the perfectly smooth welded in dash, Doh, that's what I get for nit being careful, hopefully a blast of the gas torch will pop it back once it's ground down. That may wait till after the Drag Day.

P1140913.jpg

Rear passenger side to be repaired.

P1140914.jpg

Rear drivers side to be repaired, also filing the heater holes, blobby blobby. Finding out how hard it is to weld in the dark.

P1140915.jpg

Formed a raised section to match original lines. Haven't a clue what it should look like as it was rotten but will over lay a section over the top bit to make it look original an seam seal it. Lower bit will be done next when I box in the end of the heater channel.

P1140917.jpg

All welded up.

I'm working a section at a time, I've the dash/front fire wall done, one more patch in the floors an theyre done. Then it's the rear quarters. There's a bit to do on the channels but really they need replacing so it will just be a bodge. That's the car sealed a I can start on attaching the front clip......