Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Because Racecar.........! Team Eircooled Drag Project.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
The Return of GZR...

Today saw the doors of the workshop open an the imfamous beetle GZR 560 emerged for the first in years, ready to begin its new life as an 'all killer, no filler' race car.

The Mission:

For a team of Eircooled members to construct and drag race a VW beetle alongside Team Bugbitz.

The Team:

Tsar - Dirty1 - Fabricator
Pat - LazyDayz - Motor
Graham - 58Panel-Youngy - Apprentice
Ivan - Dirtysoldman - Motor & Chassis
Mick - Mick the Digger - Fabricator
Eilish - Dilipi - Tea an Toffee Crispys!

The Car:

GZR 560 - 1976 VW Beetle, Infamous for having being the most bought an sold car among members of Eircooled.ie an also for having more fibreglass than a small boat.

The Motor:

2165cc Type 1 kindly built an loaned by Dave - Caddy - of Bugbitz.com - Irelands leading engine shop.

Lets Race!

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
I got up this morning so I could get a few things done before we started at the car. I got everything done just before lunch an as if by magic, Pat an Graham arrived just a I was heading into the house to grab a bite to eat. Once we were fed an watered we started moving stuff out of the way an eventually managed to push GZR out into the daylight. It looked alot worse than I remembered but I never really paid much attention to it when I picked it up! We started stripping every panel off an removing everything that was bolted on, right down to the headlining an stood back to assess the task ahead.

Ladies an Gentlemen, I give you GZR.".

542786_565214153509737_679600652_n.jpg

542786_565214156843070_1378500917_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lazy Dog

Club Member
Club Member
October 14, 2008
Maghermore, Wicklow.
www.lazydays.ie
Pics make it look a bit better than it really is.................... if someone had gone to the same effort of welding in some steel as they went to with their fibre-glassing it would still be a relatively solid car...........!!

My solution.......... remove body, custom floor pans, roll cage...... run as is.............. that'll learn Dave and Ben some manners................... :D

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Haha pat brilliant, good luck guys im so glad your getting stuck in with this, do you have a rough idea of how long it will take to sort out?

58Panel-Youny

Club Member
Club Member
November 26, 2009
wicklow
Good craic had yesterday wheeling out ole GZR and "de-fibreglassing" it.. I recall the sage words of "add lightness" being said more than once.. :)

I think Tsars mum needs to be made an honorary team member for the provision of lunch/tea/snacks/more tea yesterday.

Without a doubt there is work to be done to make this car solid, but with skills of the people involved (excluding myself- I'm just labour :p) it can and will be done.

riggsi

Club Member
Club Member
June 12, 2008
Meath
Cool Looking forward to this build.

Just for the record all that fiberglass was on the car when I bought it.
I did poprivet the front and rear aprons on though:blush:just before I bought my first welder.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
The lighter you can make this car the better chaps it will help you massively with your times and save you in the gearbox department, lighter car equals less stress.

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I still have a good giggle to myself when I think back on the time I arrived at Rockys to have a look at the car and Tsar had just beaten me there by about 30mins and taken it away! lol Don't remember having as much luck since that day! :)

Long Live GZR!!!

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
This was the first beetle I ever viewed when looking for one. Great to see it finally getting some love!

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
I know there's a lot of fibreglass removal talk being bandied about here but here's the thing. Fibreglass is lighter than steel and very strong when done properly, so in an effort to "add lightness" maybe procuring some fibreglass panels might not be the worst idea! Wings, bonnet, engine lid and maybe doors made of fibreglass, replace glass with perspex or polyurethane and you'd have a very light car on your hands! Fuck it, sure just see if you can get a beach buggy shell on the cheap! That with a 2165 engine would be mental fast!

By the way, are they my old wheels in the pics there? I wondered what happened to them.