Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Because Racecar.........! Team Eircooled Drag Project.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
LOL
@ Ross - it was mentioned by someone that it didn't look much worse the your car when it was stripped back.

@ Dave - I don't actually think its that bad, if I can get a section of gutter I think we're good to go as far as out of the ordinary repairs. The rest is the usual 6 inches an it's actually really good in other parts like windows an luggage compartment.

I'm not going for concours race car, just a learning process for all of us to see what's involved. It will possibly have a 6point weld in cage so safety won't be a issue an if it get totalled or bent the who cares, it's didn't cost me much only time. Currently I'm of the opinion that driving up the country to collect another shell that has to be to stripped again an probably need the lower six inches anyway would be a waste the time that would have the roof repair an some other done.

I have a pair of cheap heater channels an a cheap pan half in stock that I bought for an old project that i dis end up scrapping an I wouldn't use them in my 62 that I'll stick into this, all I need then is the other pan half.

Oh well......

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
evidently, I've been living under a virtual rock this past while. Will someone explain the "because racecar" reference to me please?

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
Does it really need good gutters or gutters at all? The main point of this car is that it be structurally safe, complies with whatever racing regs apply and goes fast. By all means weld in patches to keep the structure strong but why worry too much about appearances? It'd be easier to make a virtue of its patched nature than to try and make it look nice.

What's the deadline again?

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
evidently, I've been living under a virtual rock this past while. Will someone explain the "because racecar" reference to me please?

It's from an old advert on posted on Jalopnik I think.... Used a lot on VZi.

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Yeah, Jalopnik from a Craigslist advert.

Untitled.png

https://www.google.ie/search?q=beca..._4HQBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1492&bih=927

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
LOL
@ Ross - it was mentioned by someone that it didn't look much worse the your car when it was stripped back.

That qualifies my statement! My car was a shitbox and if I was to do it all over again I'd start out with a much better car to begin with. But then the thing is I had an attachment to my car after owning it for a while and didn't feel right about scrapping it, and I get the impression the same is going on with this car.

duts

Club Member
Club Member
January 31, 2010
Laois
Sorry duts i don't dislike the sentiments its just that fuckin keep calm crap is far too over done.

The keep calm bit is only a by product couldn't find anything with just "save that piece of shit" but ye get the idea!!!!

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Yeah maybe that 'Keep Calm' stuff is over done, a bit like the 'Because Racecar'. I did think it was overdone but it's kinda stuck in my head from magazines an forums.

@Ross, without sentiment there'd be alot beetles about. There's loads of 70's bugs in similar condition underneath if you go poking so we might as well stick with the one we have.

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
aah, I'll just crawl back under my rock.

Because neanderthal.

I didn't have a f#%king notion what the title referred to either, I must have been away from the Internet that day...

Truth be told, I only have a faint idea what a meme is too...