Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Because Racecar.........! Team Eircooled Drag Project.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Tsar are you picking the engine up this week? if you are you should have it in and done in a day, racing next weekend then?

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Just a quick update. I collected the motor from Dave on Monday after Vantastival an now it's sitting in the workshop next to the car. GZR has been stripped now, beam an gearbox off an spin primed an ready to be stored. The new car is in the workshop an on the lift. Wheels, bumpers, lights , running boards an wings were stripped off lastnight an body an floor inspected. Floor is excellent but one channel is bad an theres a few other patches to sort. Power wash tomorrow an then glass out an time for the wire brush on the grinder to see what holes open up! Rear bumper hangers/engine bay is best I've seen. Such a shame to cut it off.

58Panel-Youny

Club Member
Club Member
November 26, 2009
wicklow
Just a quick update. I collected the motor from Dave on Monday after Vantastival an now it's sitting in the workshop next to the car. GZR has been stripped now, beam an gearbox off an spin primed an ready to be stored. The new car is in the workshop an on the lift. Wheels, bumpers, lights , running boards an wings were stripped off lastnight an body an floor inspected. Floor is excellent but one channel is bad an theres a few other patches to sort. Power wash tomorrow an then glass out an time for the wire brush on the grinder to see what holes open up! Rear bumper hangers/engine bay is best I've seen. Such a shame to cut it off.

Jaysus man, you are flying along with it. I take it the plan is aiming for July racing, not this weekend??..

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Back at it again yesterday, on my own with a bit of help from my Dad. I think seat time will have to reflect build time regarding 'team' members. :lol:

Getting it off the lift i decided to throw on the wheels off my old Baja project for a laugh. The the bugger would fire, something amiss with the wiring but one we sorted it, it ran out of fuel an sucked crap into the system. Once we got it running again I decided to clear it out an shake the rust loose but going for a hoon around the field. It was like being 10 again, the state of it!

189516_10151371316321651_1675855914_n.jpg

485411_10151371315726651_205896573_n.jpg

After that I got out the powerwasher an cleaned off all the old road grime an tried to knock as much paint an rust off as I could. While it was drying out I removed all the interior trim, insulation, headlining, mirror, visors, handles etc. Then I got stuck in with the twist brush at all the rust traces an filler bubbles to see what lies beneath.

The old repairs are a scary sight.

Heater channels have seen better days an should really be replaced, i might just patch them for now an replace them when I've more time.

The wirebrush took me back to the original red, the rear bumpers hangers really are solid, pity to have to run a cutting disk straight down the middle of that. This side is kinked from an old prang so needs pulling straight first.

Hole behind double skin to luggage floor. (outside)

Inside double skin.

Horrific looking old repairs but it is solid.

All wing bolt inserts are good an solid.

Drivers side inner rear corner.

Passenger side inner rear.

Front clip is in a bit of a mess, its been replaced badly an is still buckled, i/ll have to take a closer look.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
fuck me tsar, you should have just done the removable rear valance and thrown the engine in, see you in 2017:p

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
It'll be grand, sure its only a few patches, cut/weld/prime/race. Brakes need sorting an gearbox mount is fubar'd but I have a poly one in stock! Dave would rather see us with a disc brake set up so we have the beam off GZR off an getting tidied up.

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
If it's good enough to go off-roading then it's perfectly fine for straight lining! ;)

Stop looking for trouble and get it to a track-day...patch the holes between races and don't make it your priority now. Just find good metal to bolt/weld in a cage. :p

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
I was busy the last 2 days but finally got back at the car tonight. Doors, deck lid an bonnet were removed an then I took out all the glass. Tomorrow I hope to get the motor out an then I'm ready to start cutting an welding!!!!
(y)

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
I'm doing my best Dave!
@Ben. It is really solid an we're suprised how good it is. Floors need no repairs, only the hinge for the Loud pedal. There was no rust under the window rubbers or in the rear vets where 70's bugs usually go. I ground back through the paint an the trim holes have been welded, not just covered in filler. Dad was saying its a pity to be using it for a race/rally car but it does have a really bad front clip repair with a 30mm lap joint straight down the middle of the fuel tank area an another bad repair at the door pillars.

Straight forward patches, no repair panels required, heater channels should be done but no time an hopefully good enough to patch.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Yeah, John, keep it light!

Engine's out, petrol tank is out, old front clip repair is awful so I want to do it properly. Might use to one off GZR! Anyway it's time for the grinder!:D

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Good day today, we got the last bits stripped off the car an started the arduous task of scrapping all the sound deadening an glue off the inside of the shell. Before I could measure an cut the rear valence to make it removable, it needed to be pulled as it was kinked on both sides from a rear end smash. Mick made up a plate to bolt to the bumper mounts an he an Dad used a Porta-power to pull it straight an I finished it with a hammer an dolly.

Once it was straight I measured the motor an marked the side walls ready for cutting. Feck those 48's are big, I had to cut up close to the firewall to make sure the carbs would clear.

While I had the grinder out I lobbed off the front end as I couldnt look at the crap repair any longer!