Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Team Bugbitz ( well, Ben and Dave) Goes drag racing, Straightliners Eniskillen!!!!

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
IMG_0343.jpg

skip to 1 min 30 sec.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
fat and heavy is fine britt, you have about 3 times the ponies to make up for it. it would be awesome to see more people coming to the track, you don't have to break the bank to have fun either. i spent 5 years doing what i do best and talking about it, it wasn't until i went to the first event (straight liners) that i realised what i'd been missing, ill be honest, I'm properly hooked.
But what is more of a buzz, is seeing how the changes you make effect the times, thus far all good, if i can squeeze a harder launch i reckon theres a 13.6 in it, now that would be great, i started off 1st run out on a 14.1, and then squeezed a 13, after that squeezed another 13, then a string of low 14's, all my runs on sunday after fitting the traction bar and changing tyre pressures were in the 13.8's all day. tyre change is on the cards now to if it can be improved further, no big money spent but if i can go from 14.1 to 13.6 just by tuning the chassis setup then thats half a second gained by spending literally fuck all, and its proper fun doing it.
I know I'm waffling on, but i wish i'd started years ago, although i probably would have been broke a long time ago lol.

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
^ great photos, there's a real take no prisoners look to both of those bugs, hard as nails...

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Do you mess with your tyre pressures between runs guys? Tyre pressure is a big part of getting a good time in. Less is usually better! ;)

I like this photo...says it all!!! :)

0055.jpg

Last edited:

kombi.noise

Club Member
Club Member
October 20, 2010
galway
oval nut

oval nut

looks like good fun ben.
will def have to come up for a blast in mine,
will be gettin all new brakes this week[not that ill be needing em up there with ye]
and finally bolting the exhaust on properly.
ive dragged it out of the back of the shed.
hope to give it a whirl at mondello this weekend:dizzy:

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
i dropped from 30 psi down to 19 psi, didn't want to go any lower.

When I use to race at Santa Pod I would constantly be checking the tyre pressures even up to the line. An easy way to find a rough ball park is to lay down some wheel spin tyre marks. If the tyre mark left on the ground is of a constant black colour across the full width of the tyre then you are in the right PSI range.

Darker in the center and lighter on the outside - REDUCE TYRE PRESSURE
Lighter in the center and darker on the outside - ADD TYRE PRESSURE

The most important factor in getting a good time is YOU!!! Your reaction time is key so you need to be in good form and well hydrated. Drink lots of water throughout the day and you'll be amazed how much quicker you react to green-lights, gear changes etc. ;)

Last edited:

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
reaction time doesn't count for squat in your e.t, only against your competitor, i can wait for 0.5 or 5 secs (like dave) lol, my e.t will still be the same, the stopwatch starts for your e.t at the point in which your vehicle crosses the first beam, not from when the green light drops.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Nope ;-)

just checked my slips, i only got 4 printouts of the 6 runs i did.

Best r.t was 0.225

Don't ask me wether thats good or bad, i spent 20 years drunk in a field whilst everyone else was making their shit go fast.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
aaah, so like Dave, you mightn't cross the line first but you could still win the "duel"?

or there is no duel, cars are just paired up for entertainment value?