Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Team Bugbitz ( well, Ben and Dave) Goes drag racing, Straightliners Eniskillen!!!!

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Wow what a weekend, don't ask how i forgot to remind dave last week that this event was on lol.

After telling him on thursday i went over Friday and we got his engine fitted, we then hit the dyno saturday morning to break it in.

After the break in the boys did a full power pass, but it wasn't making power on cam gggrrrr, after some head scratching it was decided to shoot back to chateaux bugbitz and get a new ignition setup for it.

After a quick swap out and timing reset another power run ensued, spot on, just needed a bit of jetting, (down 1 size) and the fueling was bang on.

All in all a good result but this engine REALLY needs ida's she's all out of puff on the 44's

IMG_0037.jpg

all done and ready to roll saturday morning.
IMG_0030.jpg

on our way

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

setting up shop.

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

busy with plenty of other metal.

IMG_0051.jpg

paid and signed the woman asked us what class we want to enter, we weren't sure how quick (or slow) we were as we'd never run them up the strip so we opted for the 15.3 class.

in the pairing lane for our first run.

IMG_0044.jpg

first run off the bat netted a 14.1 for me and a 15.54 (1st pass with the motor) for dave.

well chuffed with that i then went on to run 13.98 @ 94, i was absolutely made up, i never thought there was a 13 in it.
dave went on to run 13.87 @ 97, he was also well chuffed breaking into the 13's on our 1st outing and his 1st ever time on a dragstrip in anger.

we then ran a string of low 14's , dave had gearbox issues (jumping out of gear) he asked me to pilot the car and see what i thought, i got it off the line well, it pulls harder than mine and it felt like a really good run, i got back and dave said that the guy on the tannoy said it was the cars quickest run of the day so quicker than a 13.87, but we never got a slip so who knows what i ran.

I then decided to change tactic as i wasn't really properly on cam in 4th, so i thought i'd wring it out in 3rd and see if she'd run the last 50 ft, i got off the line ok and then had clutch slip in 2nd and 3rd, i kept 3rd going across the line (she was screaming) lol, net result was a 14.1 @ 95, so without the clutch slip I'm confident that would have beaten my best of 13.98.

After that we called it a day as dave had a misfire develop and my clutch needed to get me home.

All i can say is we had a brilliant time, saw some awesome machinery and met some really friendly folk, we will definitely be back, with solid mounted transmission for dave and traction bars to eliminate the wheel tramp, hopefully that'll net a sub 2 sec 60ft.

That is quite possibly the best fun weekend i have had in a long time, and we didn't bust anything (y)

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
me vs a real nice fella in a 300bhp nissan200, he said "none of those boys want to race you as you'll piss all over em, fuck it, its only a laugh, i'll race ya" lol good lad.

[video]http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h476/elite_motor_performance/?action=view&current=4edd2ef7.mp4[/video]

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
This was Daves first ever time on a dragstrip, let alone in handful of a bug.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Me v's Dave excuse the poor quality, i didn't have much on my memory card so i turned the resolution right down.

colin

Club Member
Club Member
January 10, 2008
Monaghan
Wow! Well done on the times lads!!

I'll def make it along to the next drag day, That looked like serious craic..

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Result!!! Dave sure launches nicely. Sounded like an almost 8k rpm shift into 2nd also. He builds a hell of an engine. I really wanna come play too. :^)

he pulled over 8k in 3rd over the finish on one run to see how hard she would rev on.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
thing is britt, at the minute, it is fun!!! just that, I'm just messing about, close ratio trans and all the gubbins starts getting away from what i have always done, keeping it street and on the cheap, ish!!!! theres a £50 gearbox in my car, when it breaks ill put the other one back in. cheap fun with old shitters, i was laughing, i have a mate who has a 160bhp bug, carillo rods all nice stuff in there gearbox loaded to the hilt with ftc and erco parts, he can't get it out of the 14.3's he's probably spent 5 x on his car than i ever have.