Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

The Drag day #2 Thread.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Ok so weve been busy taking entries and numbers are looking great!!!

Its been fairly quite with any news and information whilst weve been busy getting things together in the background.

So its now time to start hitting you up with some news. And this ones a biggie!!!!

10313745_667357009980879_4992721534231689895_n_zpsf2ec9fd8.jpg

My buddy Matt Keene at Airkraft rang some time ago to say he would love to be involved in some way with our Drag Day, A seasoned 9 second racer who is super talented. He has spent over 20 years making volkswagens not only go fast but look beautiful too.
So in his words " I would like to give something back to the guys at grass roots level " He is totally behind what the Drag Day is all about, and with this in mind will be sponsoring "THE QUICKEST AIRCOOLED OF THE EVENT", he has made an AWESOME trophy which will blow you away, but not only that, has thrown €50 into the prize fund too, so not only do you get an amazing hand crafted trophy, you also get your entry fee covered too.
I hope you guys are as blown away as me, a fantastic gesture from one of the uk's finest talents.

Check out Matts facebook page here.
https://www.facebook.com/aikraftvw?ref=ts&fref=ts
And once again Matt, we cant thank you enough for being involved.

And just to confirm, neither myself or dave will be entered into any of the competition standings, there is a hotbed of fast vw's being built at the minute, and those guys will all be in the mix come the day.

Good luck.

Last edited:

EvilMonkley

Club Member
Club Member
June 19, 2010
Geneva
I was about to say I bet you or Dave win it and then I read your last sentence. Surely you lads deserve it just as much. The winner wouldn't feel like a true winner unless they whipped two seasoned pros

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
I was about to say I bet you or Dave win it and then I read your last sentence. Surely you lads deserve it just as much. The winner wouldn't feel like a true winner unless they whipped two seasoned pros

Me and Dave get out racing all through the year, as last year, our cars were withdrawn from the competition standings, the event is about you guys, not us, and by no means do i mean any disrespect by doing so, yes we like to put on a show if we can and thats good enough for me, my enjoyment comes from seeing you guys battling it out and going home with the silverware. I would like to think that anyone who wins the prize does so on their own merit and feels they earned it, there will be a ton of cars out there who will be in contention, they will have to work hard to get their hands on it, i think they will certainly feel like a true winner.
This is not a prize for the group(s) winner (more on that to come later)

This is solely a prize for the aircooled entry that punched in the quickest E.T of the day. And by my reckoning youll have to be knocking on the 13 second door to be in with a shout.

Last edited:

58Panel-Youny

Club Member
Club Member
November 26, 2009
wicklow
Class! You guys really are pulling out all the stops again....

(...now how re hell am I going to make the van run 13's? :p)

Cf10

Club Member
Club Member
July 20, 2012
Louth
www.twitter.com
Love to see a van take that prize! Some savage vans on the list by the looks of it.....can't wait! Have you organised the weather yet??

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Ok so i just cant resist, Its not 100% finished but heres the trophy Matt has done.

IMG_3920_zps764d84e9.jpg

Who's gonna be top gun?!!!!!!!

colin

Club Member
Club Member
January 10, 2008
Monaghan
That's a wicked trophy! Thanks for all the hard work you're putting in behind the scenes to pull this all together.
You the Man!

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
How much is entry to watch on the day? I'm bringing my kids and a few of their friends in our '72 camper :)

if your in an air-cooled VW then come along and enter the show and shine ,

advance entry £5 car plus driver and £5 per passenger.

paypal acdragday@yahoo.co.uk with drivers name ,passengers names, car registration, car make, car type, .

or on the day - gate entry £10 per person .

also contact turlough on here http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/member.php?63-Turlough if your entering the show and shine as he is organising the show for us this year.

Last edited:

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
I got a parcel in the post today, and what a parcel it was!!!!!!
True to his promise, this wonderful trophy has arrived from Matt Keene at Airkraft.
This is for one of you guys!!!

To win it you will have to be the quickest AIRCOOLED of the event!!!
There is a stack of newcomers all with big engines ready to do battle, someone has already laid down an early marker ( Podsy) of what it might take to walk home with the goods from Matt, this will be an interesting and hard fought competition.
Thanks again to Matt for supporting the Air Cooled Drag Day.
How COOL!!!!?

10423639_10152105267161644_5003442093589857367_n_zps17f9c92f.jpg

10450900_10152105267281644_110530669932902154_n_zps6a196ca0.jpg

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
More news!!!
We are running a new format for 2014, in the morning session you will be qualifying!!!!!

In each group there will be an 8 car ladder final, so in simple terms, there will be 8 places up for grabs to get you into the finals. If you are position number 8 in qualifying you are on the "BUMP SPOT" so you better have your game face on as your place could be snatched by a quicker time!!!!!
Qualifying will end when we break for lunch, the finals will be held straight after, if you didn't make the finals, don't worry, we estimate we can get these done and dusted within an hour, this gives you all a chance to get on the banking and watch the quick 8 in each group battle for top honours, heads up!!!!!!

Not only does this give the racers something to shoot for, it will also highlight the drivers who are on it. Just because you qualified 8th, doesnt mean your not going to make the final, nerves, red lights, holeshots will all come into play here, you know, like real drag racing :)
Straight after the finals it will be an "Open Drag" session for the remainder of the day.

Bumpspot_zps54a20999.jpg

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
So it'll give us boys in the 1600 class a rest for an hour or so??

there are currently 12 cars in the 1600 class , so the fastest 8 qualifiers will go into the quarters finals, the 4 winners then into the semi finals and the 2 winners of the final.

this will be the same for the other 3 classes.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
No Duts, not the ones who qualify anyway.
Each category will have 8 ladder finals.

Beetles up to 1641

Vans

Beetles up to 2000cc & stock h2o

Beetles over 2000cc & modified h2o

All will have an 8 car/bus field for the final.

This will take around an hour to get through, we think holding the finals after lunch is a better way of doing it as most folk want to be on their way home if you leave it until the end of play.
There will still be plenty of track time for those that didnt make it onto the ladder in their group.
This has been done to promote and educate everyone about a heads up full round which is line with what you would see at a proper race event. It also gives people the opportunity to have a good natter, and soak up the excitement of what will be a hotly contested round.