Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1964 Beetle.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i put another rad in there too for the charge-cooler..

224.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
this is the charge-cooler from a Subaru Legacy.it sits near the top of the engine,to replace the intercooler,and means you dont need airflow over it like the intercooler does.the water is pumped by the electric pump from a T4 van at the moment,as the subaru one i got was fooked.they're not too easy to come by in Ireland,i think,but i'll have to llok out for one.

213.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
the exhaust worked out much easier than i expected.the origional part bolts to the turbo,a few bends from the scrap-yard,and a shortened end-can from a Suzuki GSXR 750 (thanks to Stan!)..

210.jpg

211.jpg

Last edited:
G

this is the charge-cooler from a Subaru Legacy.it sits near the top of the engine,to replace the intercooler,and means you dont need airflow over it like the intercooler does.the water is pumped by the electric pump from a T4 van at the moment,as the subaru one i got was fooked.they're not too easy to come by in Ireland,i think,but i'll have to llok out for one.

213.jpg

savage work colm can`t wait to get a spin with you when it`s back on the road. i had one of these leggys with the charge cooler rather than an intercooler, subaru still went and put a scoop on the bonnet even though all the early leggys were charge cooled, suppose it was just for looks though seen as they don`t rely on airflow for cooling ?

oh and you`re a naughty naughty boy for cutting up that poor bug :p

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
savage work colm can`t wait to get a spin with you when it`s back on the road. i had one of these leggys with the charge cooler rather than an intercooler, subaru still went and put a scoop on the bonnet even though all the early leggys were charge cooled, suppose it was just for looks though seen as they don`t rely on airflow for cooling ?

oh and you`re a naughty naughty boy for cutting up that poor bug :p[/QUOTE]

ha,ha!..ya,i feel a bit guilty about it sometimes,but nothing that can be reversed if u really wanted,i suppose.mabey someday it'll end up with an aircooled motor in there..
what model was the legacy you had Barry?some of them were 2.2 single ohc turbo,were they? was origionally looking for a sohc,but the subaru breakers said they were very rare here..
hoping to bring it to a trackday in the next few months,all going well.i want my brother to drive it to help set up the new(ish)front suspension-if they'll allow three drivers you're welcome to bring it for a few laps.i know its only an extra 10 euro for an extra driver,but not sure if theres a limit to how many can drive...

G

jesus that sounds great colm sure let us know, i`d be happy just to ride shotgun, don`t want to write off all your hard work ;) would be very interested in seeing how the double wishbone set up handles, i`ve been drooling over the eyeball and mendeola set ups for ages

only pulling you leg bout cutting it up, i`ve done much worse in my time LOL . when you own a car you can do what you like with it imo ;)

my leggy was the 2.0 dohc model, lovely cars , always loved them just found them too rich for my wallet to keep hold of it, someday i`ll have another one.
did you try the irish subaru drivers forum for the charge cooler pump ? lad in meath deals in a lot of the series 1 and 2 leggys

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
it was the day before the Eirespares show i got the car driving with the Subaru engine for the first time.
did a few easy miles-couldn't keep the stupid smile off my face every time the dump-valve went off-lovely power in the engine too.but i didn't remember the steering being this crap!
was so long since i had driven it,i wasn't sure tho.the steering was massively vague-all over the shop.i thought it might be just the extra weight of the scooby engine.
anyway,i headed for Monard in the morning,stopping every few miles to check the water.i didnt get much of a chance to bleed the 2 miles of water pipe,and had no temp.guage.
hit problems by half way there-had to get push started at least 4 times,and it finally gave up about 5 miles from the show.
turned out to be the altenator-i snipped a wrong wire near the dash.fair play to Duts and Martin Murry-they got me goin again with a new battery-stopped again about a mile from home!
it stopped the next day(fule pump)-and i was glad.didnt want to drive it again until the steering was sorted.i probablly shouldnt admit it,but it turned out- "someone":confused:...had left the arm on the steering box loose..scary sh1t!..it couldnt fall off because of the bottom tube on the axel.:blush:.lesson learned.
i didnt realise this until moths later,when i had already bought these-

64wishbone005.jpg

Last edited:

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
what's the double wishbone setup from?

are you going to use it or leave the torsion bar setup now you have the steering sorted?

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
thanks Tony.i was wondering about that myself-mabey i shouldn't post it here.is there a more suitable section to post it in Tony?

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
what's the double wishbone setup from?

are you going to use it or leave the torsion bar setup now you have the steering sorted?

there from a Locost kitcar Trev-a kind of Lotus 7 replica-the spindles are from a mk1 or2 Cortina-an aircooled one i think.
to be honest,i had a load of research type stuff done,and didnt want to turn back.i never really liked the steering boxes,and couldnt convince my self that the permanent positive camber of the king+link pin was ever going to handel great.
i know it would be more common to cut the frame head and fit a ball-joint beam,but i really didnt want to do that-the wishbone set-up is almost finished now,but a standard axel still bolts in.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
there from a Locost kitcar Trev-a kind of Lotus 7 replica-the spindles are from a mk1 or2 Cortina-an aircooled one i think.
to be honest,i had a load of research type stuff done,and didnt want to turn back.i never really liked the steering boxes,and couldnt convince my self that the permanent positive camber of the king+link pin was ever going to handel great.
i know it would be more common to cut the frame head and fit a ball-joint beam,but i really didnt want to do that-the wishbone set-up is almost finished now,but a standard axel still bolts in.

sounds good, I'd like to see pics if you have any.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
jesus that sounds great colm sure let us know, i`d be happy just to ride shotgun, don`t want to write off all your hard work ;) would be very interested in seeing how the double wishbone set up handles, i`ve been drooling over the eyeball and mendeola set ups for ages

only pulling you leg bout cutting it up, i`ve done much worse in my time LOL . when you own a car you can do what you like with it imo ;)

my leggy was the 2.0 dohc model, lovely cars , always loved them just found them too rich for my wallet to keep hold of it, someday i`ll have another one.
did you try the irish subaru drivers forum for the charge cooler pump ? lad in meath deals in a lot of the series 1 and 2 leggys

i tried a couple of subaru breahers Barry,but not sure which ones now.the one i got the cooler from is closed now.must try that forum,or yer man in Meath.any idea what part of Meath hes in?