Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1964 Beetle.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
this is the Kennedy Engineering flywheel.it has the bolt pattern to bolt to the subaru crank,and the vw clutch and starter work on the outside.

beetlesubaru009.jpg

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
This is very cool.I really like the direction you're going with this.
Also I must admit I had a bit of a giggle over the fire incident.I know it wasn't meant to be funny,and it certainly wasn't very amusing when happening'but it read funny.sorry..:)

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
well,i eventually got the courage to cut it.i guess some people wont like to see a beetle getting cut like that.if it was an unrestored,origional metal car,i dont think i could do it,but a lot of the car isn't origional anyway,so it didnt bother me too much.

beetlesubaru019.jpg

buggyboyshane

Club Member
Club Member
November 5, 2007
up north :)
sweeeeeeeet project, very similar to my ideas, cept youre wayyyyyyyyyyy in front :) ill stick a new thread up of mine :)

are you not gonna have to cut more room out of the firewall to enable the intercooler to sit on top?

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
the hole got bigger,to give room for the charge cooler,but on the positive side i fitted a new CSP torque bar kit,made up a rear gearbox strap that was missing,and welded in some plate to strengthen the heavy-duty gearbox mount.

64001-1.jpg

the torque bar kit comes with 6 steel tabs that have to be welded on.two welded to the gearbox mount..

115.jpg

and two each side,near the shock top mount.these two are just welded to a collar that unbolts with the shock.the longer bolts come with the kit.

116.jpg

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
sweeeeeeeet project, very similar to my ideas, cept youre wayyyyyyyyyyy in front :) ill stick a new thread up of mine :)

are you not gonna have to cut more room out of the firewall to enable the intercooler to sit on top?

thanks Shane.i'm sure yours will be to a much higher standard than this,having seen your buggy,but sure its all good fun..
ya,had to cut that hole bigger alright-didnt want to,but..

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
it looks like this fitted.those holes in the bonnet were a rush job-was driving to Sligo to bring me brother Louis to the church for his wedding,and the old motor was acting up-so out with the hole-saw.i thought the bonnet standoffs might be affecting the way it was running at speeed,so tried this instead..

64013.jpg

this is where the two pieces bolt together inside the engine bay..

64012.jpg

Last edited:

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
very nice work, the removable rear section is a great idea. My Subaru beetle is still languishing in the back of the back shed. Might see road in 2066, like Shanes ;)

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
very nice work, the removable rear section is a great idea. My Subaru beetle is still languishing in the back of the back shed. Might see road in 2066, like Shanes ;)
thanks Trev,i had been looking for pics of your car a few times-class.do you have much to do to finish it? would be great to see it on the road/track!

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I must do a retrospective build thread. it might give me a gee-up to finish it! loads of work needed. years of work...