Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1964 Beetle.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
bigwing002.jpg

bigwing004.jpg

took me ages to decide wheather to narrow the beam,or widen the wings,but it worked out easier for me to widen them,and eventually,i was hoping to have the car as a road legal classic race car,and i thought this would work out better for that.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
I like the wing-widening job :)

cheers trev! got the spare wings from K vinyl at a good price,and my own were a bit wreked at that stage from rubbing the wheel,so i thought i give it a try anyway-and i could paint them almost for free(thanks Dec!)

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
this is them after painting.i was happy enough with the shape/look,except the paint job went a bit pear shaped on my.i used two-pack,and the stuff we had at the time i really didnt like.got some reactions,tho they sanded out,but the shade of colour didnt turn out like the chip-was fairly pissed off.
64006-1.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i got these Spax adjustable shocks for the back too.they're a great job i think-you can order them any length,extended and compressed,so i got them in a extended length that will just barely let the rear go into positive camber at the back-thinking this will help prevent the rear 'jacking' too much.
64003-3.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i got these adjustable spring plates for the back too.they were a bastd to fit with new poly bushes,but make the rear ride height so easy to adjust.the best thing i ever bought for it i think,all the way from China!
64004-3.jpg

riggsi

Club Member
Club Member
June 12, 2008
Meath
nice work.I have been thinking about widening some front fenders will have to give it a go now.how wide are the rear wheels and any rubbing?

how much did you widen the front by?

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
nice work.I have been thinking about widening some front fenders will have to give it a go now.how wide are the rear wheels and any rubbing?

how much did you widen the front by?
thanks Riggsi.the rear wheels are 7",i pretty sure,mabey 6.5"-cant fully remember,but they dont rub at all.i'd say you could go wider than that if you wanted.
the front wings are widened by about 1.75" and the front wheels 5.5"-had no problems with them either

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
thanks knk! it hasnt been out on the road much unfortunately,but hopefully get a few miles done next year.hows the Lexibug coming on?-amazing machine!

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i drove the car like this for a while.it was a lovely smooth torquey? engine,but i was a bit frustrated with it misfiring a bit too often.checked jetting,float heights,timing,valve clearances etc a few times.had the local tuner check it-it made 90 hp and ran fine,but still gave me hassel on thr road.i wanted a bit more power too.couldnt afford a race tuned engine,or the mantainance,and about the same time came across Subaru turbo engined Beetles!
Trevs VWRX was the first one i came across,and i loved it.saw more on Aussieveedubbers,and the following video..i wanted one! so much horsepower,so cheap-and they make turbo noises!nuff said!

(i think it was the song on this video that sold it to me really)

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
well i ended up with this in the back garden anyway-

forester003-1.jpg

ej20 turbo engine.170 hp as standaed,but easy and cheap to get a lot more,if you wanted.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i looked at a few imprezas before i bought this,but a lot of the imprezas had a hard life i think.this forester sport seemed to have been well minded,and fairly low milage,and probablly more power than i wanted.
got the engine out without much bother.

beetlesubaru006.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
removing the wiring loom took a lot longer.i didnt want to cut any wires until i heard the engine running in the beetle.labeled the connections as i took it out.

64020.jpg

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
all the dash had to be stripped out too.a bit scary to see the amount of wiring that was in here.

64012-2.jpg

Last edited: