Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1964 Beetle.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i wont be doing much with the loom myself Shane-i get scared just looking at it!
i snipped a few bits like lights off,and the airbag stuff and plugged it back in.
it started up and ran no problem,except the gauges and altenator didnt work.thats fixed now.kept the subaru dash for now.a friend is taking out all the bits i dont need,a going to rewire the whole thing when he has spare time.hes a bit of a genius with electronic stuff.
this is only part of the loom in the car-most of this can go eventually though;

IMG_13371.jpg

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i nearly forgot-i had to put this spacer between the chassis and the body,to allow the cam sprockets to clear the body at the back.its 5mm.loosened the floorpan bolts.it gave about 8mm extra clearance at the back of the engine,and about 2mm gap at back of floorpan-but this tightened up fine on the rubber floorpan seal.

64005-3.jpg

i copied this idea from a build i saw on Aussieveedubbers bt 'surf beetle' it worked much better than i expected.

Last edited:

brianm

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2010
Tipp
I thought this looked familiar, I've watched the youtube clips of this about 50 times. Awesome car!!!! Had a subaru forrester in NZ we drove that thing into the ground in all terrains and the only trouble it ever gave was the engine light would come on when we put in the lower octane fuel.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
I thought this looked familiar, I've watched the youtube clips of this about 50 times. Awesome car!!!! Had a subaru forrester in NZ we drove that thing into the ground in all terrains and the only trouble it ever gave was the engine light would come on when we put in the lower octane fuel.

thanks Brian.it has a long way to go yet,but suppose its gettin there.i drove this Forester for a bit too before i took the engine out+was really surprised with the handling-it looks like a jeep but it dosnt corner like one.

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Starting to really like this idea now .Just wondering if it would be possible to mount the radiator in the space behind the back seat and feed air to it by means of side scoops and/or NACA style window scoops or would you have overheating problems?I'm sorta going germanlook with the 03 so the scoops etc would suit the look.Now this is me just building castles in the air at the moment but as an option for loads of power this could be a runner.

Also the fly in the ointment...What/how do you insure such a car?

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
with the 1303 you can get an "air-con" front valance with grilles in it and put a radiator in there Johnny. I don't think the "behind the seat" radiator would get great airflow, even with naca ducts. You'd be relying on fans all the time.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
Starting to really like this idea now .Just wondering if it would be possible to mount the radiator in the space behind the back seat and feed air to it by means of side scoops and/or NACA style window scoops or would you have overheating problems?I'm sorta going germanlook with the 03 so the scoops etc would suit the look.Now this is me just building castles in the air at the moment but as an option for loads of power this could be a runner.

Also the fly in the ointment...What/how do you insure such a car?

ya,i think its like Trev was saying.any threads i've read dont recommend it,tho i think a few people have done it.
with the insurance-when mine ran out,i asked them for a quote with the 2.0l engine for the craic,though i think the turbo slipped my mind at the time:confused:-was really surprised-it only went up very slightly.i was on my brothers garage insurance for a while too-so you can do that too,or mabey the people who do kit-car insurance,or just break the bonnet latch off and leave the 1300 badge on?

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
Serious amount of work there Colm, great thread

Has your dad had the ghia out lately?

its slow going at times Michael! the ghia hasn't been out in a while.resprayed it last year,with new doors and engine lid from Roadcow.dad and the bro just put the windscreen in yeeterday-bumpers re-chromed-but loads more to do with it,including engine rebuild.i'd say he'll have it out during the year tho..

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
made tow of these black panels to hold the rad in place,and direct the air through the rad..

202.jpg

(was surprised to find a severed hand in there too!)

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
and this scoop to direct the air from underneath.its adjustable,so i can lower the car or get over massive speedbumps.i might put it on springs later,for when/if it hits stuff..

199.jpg

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
and this cover for the top.going to re-make this at some stage.it dosnt need that hump in the top anymore.that was for a differend fan.

205.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
these were all ideas i basically nicked from other peoples threads.no way would i have been able to attempt fitting the Subaru motor without other peoples threads.