Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1964 Beetle.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
Hello all!
i'm going to have another attempt at doing a thread for my Beetle.i tried a few times before,but had loads of bother trying to upload pictures,because of really slow internet here,and i'm not to handy with the computer either..
heres a few pictures from the ad on Eircooled where i saw the car first..
64ad.jpg
64ad2.jpg

64ad4.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
well that was three or four years ago now.i rang the owner,Barry(baz 76,on here)and went to view it.i was just what i was looking for,so i put a deposit on it,and my brother trailored it home from Wexford to galway the next week.it was a kind of an unfinished project.it came with an unfitted 2.1 engine,Rancho pro street gearbox,Webber40's,CSP wide 5 disk brake kit,and loads of other lovely bits and pieces.i was happy out!

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
heres a pic of the engine as i got it.i painted up some tin ware for it,fitted an external oil filter anp pump cover,solid pushrods,bolt together rocker shafts,petronix ignition,and bugpack ceramic coated exhaust system
64.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
oh ya,it had a Bugpack(i think)deep sump too.
heres a picture of the engine put together and fitted-it was a bit of a squeeze!
jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn039.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i made up a few brackets from aluminium for the oil filter,oil breather thingy,and put some holes in the inner wings,to make the carbs easier to adjust(allegedly)

jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn037.jpg

jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn030.jpg

jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn031.jpg

jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn032.jpg

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
probablly not great having the oil hoses going through the bumper bracket,but i wasn't intending fitting bumpers.
big dirty heavy exhaust can now fitted too..
jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn025.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
this is the CSP wide 5 brake kit the car came with-it also had ajusters in the front beam.the rear was at standard height.
jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn014.jpg

these are the wheels the car came with.not the sexiest things on the planet!

jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn015.jpg

so i bought two new Mangle 5.5" 356 look steels for the front,and got four 7"(ish) banded steels for the back-well two spares and two for the back!

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
being a cheap-skate,i considered dickying up the origionals with bits of an old drumkit...until i had visions of small children being sliced in half if they ever fell off when i was driving..not good-so i had to splash out on e-bay.
jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn011.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
these are the bandad steels i got on e-bay.they were kind of rough,but i got them sandblasted,and with a bid of grinding/filling/painting,they looked better.
jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn006.jpg

i painted them BMW metallic purple,but was not totally happy with them.they looked much darker than i expected,whan on the car.
jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn010.jpg

two out of three cats preferr deep dish!
jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn009.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
this is how it stood at the back-so it was time totwist those trailing arms around.
jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn013.jpg

i over-did it on my first attempt- B@st*rd!. not much fun doin it twice..
jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn021.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
got dropped spindles for the front too,and it looked like this-
jhngvuidfnu9g89tyingjldfn028.jpg

front wheels rubbing thr wings on any kind of tight turn tho..

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i also got some guages from cip1 in America.oil temp,oil pressure,volts and a rev counter.made a little plate to hold the small ones in the radio opening,and the rev counter in the speaker grill on the right-no tunes for this car-suppose i'll just have to listen to the engine..

64010-1.jpg

64008-2.jpg

beetlesubaru031.jpg

Last edited:
G

ohh this brings back memories colm ! nice to see to trusty old 405 dturbo having a well earned rest in the backround, that was a bit of an epic 24 hours involved in getting the bug home from scotland ;)
64ad.jpg

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i think that 405 must be an honourary vdub at this stage Barry-i remember you callin up with it,with no passenger seats,filled to the gills with what looked like the makings of two or three beetles!

G

LOL was like that a good few times colm,including the trip back from scotland with the 64 on an A frame. justin might have a pic of it with a vw engine hanging out the back of it ! raging i got rid of that car :(

anyways sorry for the hijack, the 64 is still looking good :D

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i think it was about a year after getting the car,we fired it up(a bit too literally)for the first time.it started no problem,and was ticking over well,but hit and miss when reved up.
i was tryin to figure it out at my brothers garage.saw it took the boot much better with one carb covered.so i did what any top-notch dumass would do,a poured a little petrol down the carb-she ran much better,for a while..
was at this for a while,when the unthinkable (to me)happened-the petrol cought fire!
i threw the petrol-the petrol landed on me-i cought fire!
jumper on fire,hat on fire-i thought my face was on fire..
my brother ran for the extinguisher-and proceeded to put the CAR out!-while i was on fire-he said he "didnt see " me..six foot away,running around like a headless chicken,on fire..
well i got a dose of the extinguisher eventually-happy days!-have you ever tasted that stuff?-was coughing for a couple of days.
but only really burnt my hands(a me blue jumper),and the engine bay and carbs just needed a good clean.
cought it on cctv,and it was very scary/funny.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
the carb problem turned out to be no jets in the carbs! should have checked.so i got those and bored out the chokes of the carbs.they were Webber 40's-a bit small for a 2.1.
then decided to widen the wings.
bigwing003.jpg