Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Wanted: A set of 15" post 68 stock wheels for my bug

banaltra

Club Member
Club Member
June 25, 2008
Dublin
How are your fuchs held on at the moment? The original wheels are four stud, the fuchs are five so make sure you still have the ability to bolt on a four stud wheel. If you have re-drilled drums / disc then well and good, if you have porsche pattern drums / discs only fitted then you'll have a bit of cost getting that sorted out.

The disks and drums are re-drilled so that should be fine :)

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
Alice, I wouldn't go banded for the rear of your car. If I remember correctly your current wheels were almost touching the wing. I know its all down to the wheel but maybe see how originals are like first.
Personally, I'm not a fan of beauty rings. Original wheels in two-tone with white walls tyres can be stunning on their own.

banaltra

Club Member
Club Member
June 25, 2008
Dublin
Alice, I wouldn't go banded for the rear of your car. If I remember correctly your current wheels were almost touching the wing. I know its all down to the wheel but maybe see how originals are like first.
Personally, I'm not a fan of beauty rings. Original wheels in two-tone with white walls tyres can be stunning on their own.

Ok, I'm a little confused with some of this lingo. What exactly is banded. I thought it was the term used to paint the original wheels?

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
Banded is widening the stock steel wheel by splitting it on a lathe and welding in a band of steel. It gives a deeper look to the dish of the wheel. I think painting is just called "painting"!

banaltra

Club Member
Club Member
June 25, 2008
Dublin
Banded is widening the stock steel wheel by splitting it on a lathe and welding in a band of steel. It gives a deeper look to the dish of the wheel. I think painting is just called "painting"!

Ah, painted is it? :lol2: Well, the look I'm thinkin about is simply just "painted" or maybe even more exciting "sprayed", :lol2: I just like the 2 tone idea. So just the normal wheels in pretty condition would be cool if anyone has them :)

And thanks for the info on the fuchs Kobat.

Thanks rez. I love learnin somethin new every day! :)

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Something like this Alice?
23788_1366748282379_1041826573_3106.jpg

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
Re: Wanted: A set of 15" post 68 stock wheels for my bug

Coxy said:

Jasus, my life would be complete with that car in my garage... if I had a garage that is.

banaltra

Club Member
Club Member
June 25, 2008
Dublin
and to go back to post 13, Mac has a few sets :D
Was "onto" mac so we'll c if he has a set that matches.

I'm thinkin more like somethin like Keiths
norm-IMG_0384.JPG

The inside of the wheel is the same colour as the paint work on his car, which was what I was thinkin about for a while, so it was good see it in person :)

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
I love Keith's wheels, I think you should go with that idea Alice... with a whole lot of camber!

BRENDANGOBRIEN

Club Member
Club Member
November 11, 2008
clare
I think if you go with the same as Keiths and with the white walls there is goin to be too much white, may be the out side rim the same colour the same colour as the car and the inside white

banaltra

Club Member
Club Member
June 25, 2008
Dublin
I love this look with the paint matching the car, lowered with some camber of course.
Well the rear wheels are nearly rubbin against the car its so lowered and I want to lower the front also. Add to the effect little. I love Tsars beetle's stance but there is no way I could handle the idea of all the damage I could potentially do on either ramped roads of dublin, or the pot-holed roads of tipp, so I'll only lower it a little.

I think if you go with the same as Keiths and with the white walls there is goin to be too much white, may be the out side rim the same colour the same colour as the car and the inside white
That thought occurred to me Brendan. Its just somethin I've to think about I suppose!