Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Dublin Meeting

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
Ya, if I turn if off, it'll start up straight after I turn it off. But If I walk away and come back an hour later or even just half an hour and try to start it, it wont always restart. The battery warning light will come on and it wont crank over or anythin, it is completely dead! And then once I put in my new batt I assumed it'd start first time round but I had to jump it? I must check my fuses also while I'm at it, its been a little while since I checked them out But I suppose if there was something wrong with 1 of the fuses a jump wouldn't sort that out!

I'd wonder if its a starter motor problem - that its sticking when hot.... The extra current of the jump might be enough to get it turning

Does it start normally once the car has cooled down?

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I'd wonder if its a starter motor problem - that its sticking when hot.... The extra current of the jump might be enough to get it turning

Does sound like a sticky solenoid or possibly even a loose solenoid wire!

banaltra

Club Member
Club Member
June 25, 2008
Dublin
Any chance you could swap out the battery with a known good one and run it for a few days just to eliminate a dud battery as a possibility?

Its the 2nd battery its done it to so I can rule out the dud battery. One that has a 3 year warranty and is always in use and only a year and a half old, and the other is brand new.

Right, possible starter motor. I suppose I'll start with ruling out the easier possible problems, such as the fusing, and work my way to the starter motor or loose wiring in the solenoid!

BRENDANGOBRIEN

Club Member
Club Member
November 11, 2008
clare

That exactly what I was thinking about, maybe its the starter, My Dad had the same problem, the car would start when it was cold but after driving it for a while,turned it off and no way would it start again.The bushing in the starter were relpaced and now it starts every time. Might be worth a look at also.

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
Alice, you've mentioned that you have a disk changer in the car. That must mean you have a modern player too and new players store the pre-programmed radio stations. This means your radio is always on standby. That might be the cause. I'd suggest you just remove the wire going into the back of the player next time you leave your car and see if it starts the next time you try it.

keithincork

Club Member
Club Member
September 12, 2009
Just Chilling
:respect: Just wanted to say a big thanks for a very enjoyable night, really had a great time, great to have met such a friendly bunch, and was made to feel very welcome by all, all the cars and buses that showed up were all absolutely stunning, i had taken some photos but i can't upload them as it keeps saying the files are too large, even though i used a stantard digital camera, i had no problems the last time i uploaded photos, any ideas.
Cheers again

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
:respect: Just wanted to say a big thanks for a very enjoyable night, really had a great time, great to have met such a friendly bunch, and was made to feel very welcome by all, all the cars and buses that showed up were all absolutely stunning, i had taken some photos but i can't upload them as it keeps saying the files are too large, even though i used a stantard digital camera, i had no problems the last time i uploaded photos, any ideas.
Cheers again

Shrink your pics or upload them to photobucket and link to them on here.

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
i had taken some photos but i can't upload them as it keeps saying the files are too large, even though i used a stantard digital camera, i had no problems the last time i uploaded photos, any ideas.
Cheers again

Google ImageResizer - that'll take care of them

Gritz

Club Member
Club Member
January 10, 2008
Tipperary
you can resize them when you are uploading them to photobucket.
click on "more options" below the "upload" button, then choose your size.

keithincork

Club Member
Club Member
September 12, 2009
Just Chilling
I think someone mentioned something about an I O U, good job i had a big lunch, possibly they were related to my future sister- in-law as i got nought of her either (foodwise that is) lol, sure the hunger was well gone by the time we got fed. Same as it was great to have met you all. Hope to make the next one.

:lol:

beetlebug

Club Member
Club Member
January 1, 2010
celbridge
great pictures keith, nice to have met you and all the others. didnt get to speak to everyone, downside of so many turning up, but looking forward to next month already. ( ross will probably have decided on a new engine by then ;) )

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
OR Dun Laoirghe, both are good. I think a main thing that should be chosen is where to eat?
Considering last month's was so good and popular, it would be lovely to get somewhere that could fit ten or more, comfortly together.
And as somebody said, theirs only so many Eddie Rocket's burgers you can eat.

But I think we need to meet up at Eddie R as hopefully it'll be known that First Wed Aircooled car meet.

banaltra

Club Member
Club Member
June 25, 2008
Dublin
Ya, well i suggest the queens pub in dalkey to eat. It has nice food and plenty of areas in the pub where a good crowd can sit together! I'd be cool if the vico road is open but sure I can check that out closer to the time :)

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Ya, well i suggest the queens pub in dalkey to eat. It has nice food and plenty of areas in the pub where a good crowd can sit together! I'd be cool if the vico road is open but sure I can check that out closer to the time :)

So does that mean your Clutch Cable is installed Alice? :D

The Queens pub is a nice spot. I was out by Vico road last week and it was still closed.