Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1964 Beetle.

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I would recommend getting some Dye Penetrant to test for leaks. It's a much better way finding the smallest of pinholes. Pressure testing with water is messy, can deform the tank but most importantly does not always find every leak!

With the dye you apply Red to the inside and white to the outside along the weld. If there is a leak the Red dye will draw through the weld and be visible on the outside.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
thanks John.never heard of that-where could i get that stuff?might give it a try if its not too hard to get a hold of.still havn't got round to testing for leaks.

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
To be honest I have always been given it and never had to purchase it. I'll find out where my source gets it and let you know.

Bugnut

Club Member
Club Member
October 10, 2008
Meath
I had not been watching your thread for a long time Colm, so took a little time to catch up on it this morning.

Fabulous work ! much respect due.......I've just been given a 1.7 Alfa Romeo boxer engine on Delorto twin 40's that I would love to put into a 70's bug.

I have already learnt a lot from your build thread, thanks for posting.

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Fabulous work ! much respect due.......I've just been given a 1.7 Alfa Romeo boxer engine on Delorto twin 40's that I would love to put into a 70's bug.

Bugnut...I think I still have my template measurements somewhere for the adapter plate used on my Ferrari Dino build, 1.7 boxer engine mated to a beetle box. I'll see if I can find it for you. ;)

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
That would be great. Thanks . Real torque monster engine should pull very well.

Yep...and the Beetle box is not really up to it either in my opinion! The first box I had in it was destroyed fairly quickly. Easy starts off the line after that! :)

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
had the old wagon up for a track day today alright-twas a searious laugh alright!i wasn't gettin me hopes up about gettin more than a lap done without a brakedown,but she surprised me and did 20/25 before one of my podged water pipes let go.handling way better than i expected.slidy tho! .rear wheel bearing fooked by the end too.also managed to loose both my wipers,a hose clip(woops!)and one of the white wall inserts?!dont know what happened there..great craic tho-still buzzin!

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
I've heard that's he considering racing the retro stock class an Mondello might give him special dispensation to run with all the mods! Gas what you hear on a VAN forum!

i was thinking of that alright Tsar,if they did allow it,i might try get one done before the end of the year.they will consider the car i think,as long as the lap time is over 1minute? 9sec on the short track-i think i'm plenty slow enough for that alright!but the money is a bit tight at the moment-place i was working closed down+trying to start up a bit of a buisness with the brother.
would have to fork out on a new hose clip whitewall insert!!...ah,nobut it does need work.
the open pit lane track days are very relaxed tho,and much more tracktime for the money,if you dont break down..

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
theres a little bit of it in this video-Ciaran mad this from his Ferrari 360-beautiful machine,and sound man.the place was full of lovely cars,and really nice crowd of people,rom octane,or now called backroads.ie.some of me driving is a bit embarrising tho.

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Cool clips!!! She does look a little wobbly for sure, but some messing around with the suspension set-up should sort a lot of that out.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
That's cool. I love that it took the Ferrari over a minute to pass you out - he just couldn't get you even on the straights (y)

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
How do you think you'll get on with logging the car/cage. I'm hoping to eventually get the drag project car logged so I can run it in historics/hills/sprints an rally's (with my own motor) Retrospectives are easy enough to meet the regs an most likely what we'd do most. I know it's a swing axel an IRS would be better but there a guy in the uk racing historics in a 1300 60's bug an it's awesome. I just wana have a bit of craic on the cheap, if I was serious I'd build a mk1 or 2. I won't be happy going in straight lines.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
Cool clips!!! She does look a little wobbly for sure, but some messing around with the suspension set-up should sort a lot of that out.
ya,those wobbles on the two straight bits were me trying to remember which side your supposed to pull to, to let other cars to pass!i wasn't sure if Ciaran wanted to pass me or not.they have a rule which side to pass on,but i couldnt remember-right or left,so i kinda tried both!
definately need adjustment at the back-i knew it was too high,but cant really lower it untill i shorten the sump.changing the back tyres will definately help a big amount too-could really feel the 65 profile,with big wobbly thread pattern,flexing around.need stronger torsion bars.also has no antiroll bars,front or rear,and by the stage of that video,a huge amount of play in the right rear wheel!(bearing,i think)
to be honest i was very surprised how controllable it is.there were a lot more/bigger sideways moments than in the video,and after all i heard/read about rear engined cars-i just cant believe how it auctually seems easier to control than me old beemer-it doesnt seem to snap back like the beemer did.mabey thats just the shitty tyres too tho..so i'm happy out with it at the moment.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
That's cool. I love that it took the Ferrari over a minute to pass you out - he just couldn't get you even on the straights (y)
ha,ha.i'm sure he could pass any time he wanted tho-he had slowed down just at the start of that video to let me past-was chatting to him later,and he was just having a look for the craic.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
QUOTE=Dirty1;177189]How do you think you'll get on with logging the car/cage. I'm hoping to eventually get the drag project car logged so I can run it in historics/hills/sprints an rally's (with my own motor) Retrospectives are easy enough to meet the regs an most likely what we'd do most. I know it's a swing axel an IRS would be better but there a guy in the uk racing historics in a 1300 60's bug an it's awesome. I just wana have a bit of craic on the cheap, if I was serious I'd build a mk1 or 2. I won't be happy going in straight lines.[/QUOTE]
i wouldn't have much of a clue,to be honest Tsar-i was thinkin they wouldnt be so hard on the classics/future classics,for stuff like the rollcage-but im sure it would need work+money.id be happy enough just gettin another track day or two this year anyway.
that would be class Tsar-would love to see a beetle in historics-and i thing the regs aint too bad for some of the sprints either.hope it works out for you.i've seen that 1300 too-class!im sure irs has to be way better,but i heard too much grip is bad for you-theres a guy in south Africa doing mad things with racing king+link,swing axel, aircooled engined Beetle-i'll see if i can find the video-i think its amazing..

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Car looks good on the track.This is something I'd love to do with the bug eventually.What sort of speed were you hitting on the straight Colm?