Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1600+ clubman racing class for next season

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
Right lads,I'm soon gonna be buying a rebuild kit/longblock for the bug.Just wondering if anyone is building or intends to race in this class next year.
The reason I'm asking is if there isn't much interest I'll get something a bit bigger than a 1641.But if a few guys intend to race in this class I'll build something for this.
Any chance of the ban on headwork being lifted? because I want something nippy for the street as well

pancho and his brother neil are both running 1641 next year , there is no ban on head work, a restriction to stock valve sizes only.
we have used stock heads that are ported and achieved over 100hp .

this year there was lorcan, john Kelly ,shay hodnett and mike eccles running 1641 im sure they will be back for some more action.

duts

Club Member
Club Member
January 31, 2010
Laois
Right lads,I'm soon gonna be buying a rebuild kit/longblock for the bug.Just wondering if anyone is building or intends to race in this class next year.
The reason I'm asking is if there isn't much interest I'll get something a bit bigger than a 1641.But if a few guys intend to race in this class I'll build something for this.
Any chance of the ban on headwork being lifted? because I want something nippy for the street as well

Simple solution Johnny...........................build two engines!!

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
There is no Ban on Head work, just stock valve sizes. Think of it as "Restricter Plate" racing. Port it all you want, run 12 to 1 comp. ratio, ratio rockers, etc. Your engine is a pump, the valves will limit the amount of air that you can pump.

loadsabuses

Club Member
Club Member
May 8, 2009
kerry
Is this going to take place? Ie is there any interesf

i have heard whispers of quite a few lads upgrading their engines in anticipation of the next drag day . most are keeping it hush hush.
we are looking forward to taking the Baja back to the strip to see if we can improve on the 17.8?? time it did with the 1600 lump .its now running a 1915 engine (thanks again Dave /Ben ) .the tame racing driver still hasn't taken it for a test drive yet .but we are as i said looking forward to taking it racing....

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
As of Friday morning I'm deffo going bigger;).However while I save up the pennies to put together a bigger lump,I might get the 1600 checked out to see how much damage is done.If its not too bad(ie.costly),I'll fix it up and do a few race meets next year..So I'm not committing to anything yet.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I was thinking maybe johnny had some kind of life changing experience or some kind of epiphany.

Buying a machined case would have been my next guess though.

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Stunning detective work fellas.Yeah bought Bazs' crankcase.just have to fill it with stuff now.I'll be asking a lot of questions here on what to buy as I really haven't much of a clue apart from the basics.Already looking at scat engine kits.Waste of money,I dunno,these are the questions I'll need answering.

G

there`s no replacement for displacement so they say,unless you going to boost it. remember too there`s a lot of power to be found in a good pair of heads.

what you building johnny a race engine or a fast street engine ?

Last edited:

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Fast street engine is the way I want to go.Something like graham has suggested ie 1955cc.I want a reliable engine that I can have fun with on the track and strip.Anyway I won't clog up this thread anymore with my wishes and wonderings.I'll star a thread in an appropriate section when I get a few goodies tgether..