Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1600+ clubman racing class for next season

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
Good idea Dave! Every time I heard mention of 1600 class I thought someone could just turn up in a Buggy/Rail/Formula Vee an a steel bodied car wouldn't stand a chance!
As long as no-one starts spending silly money on Doherty style Vee engines it should be good.
Body mods would have to be thought out but at the same time Ravens Rod is at no more of an advantage than Tetnus.

Would it be too much to have this class street legal? Possibly harder for Uk/NI cars, but have them run working lights just to make it fairer on those who do have to drive to the event. Perhaps a street eliminator road trip in the morning.
Also are you going to state pump gas only?

I would also like to see regs drawn up for all classes before Drag Day 2 just so people have time to build a car to suit a specific class. Nothing as detailed as this class but basic Body type , Bus, Bug or other an engine size, similar to this years classes. They worked well.

With the interest from this years event I hope there would be no need for people to drive water cooled cars as spaces will fill up fast.

I don't think street legal would be a requirement , this would put off people just pulling a dub out of a barn, dump it on a trailer and having a go .
I would say having a full pan , working brakes , seat and belts would be enough .

having no headlamps or wiper motor wont give anyone that much of an edge .
a good shite just before you race ,would be about the same lol

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
I would also like to see regs drawn up for all classes before Drag Day 2 just so people have time to build a car to suit a specific class. Nothing as detailed as this class but basic Body type , Bus, Bug or other an engine size, similar to this years classes. They worked well.

With the interest from this years event I hope there would be no need for people to drive water cooled cars as spaces will fill up fast.

I think drag day 2 will be much the same as this year competition was not the aim, just everyone having fun with what they drove. they could drive as hard of gentle as they wanted, but with the aid of a timing system for encouragement.

having a few water-cooled cars at drag day only highlighted how quick a lot of the air cooled cars were ,and gave us a good benchmark for comparison.

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
I may be a bit one side of the norm but I want to try to make my car street legal. But I'm thinking of 2 sets of everything, like lexan windows , a second set of gutted doors, new Brazilian light weight wings, lighten brakes which will require a beam change, race seat. I think if I do it right it will take about 2/3's of a day for me to swap everything out to make the car more competitive from a street bug. I also want to be able to swap in a larger engine trans combo if I have one so all fittings will be a quick disconnect style, all engines and trans will have same fittings.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Dave I did what you suggested above just before my first run on Saturday an I don't think it helped!
As far as road legal I was only thinking about working lights, easy to check, keeps the look of a stock car. There's no MOT in the south so we don't need floors or channels anyway. Fair enough, there's probably the weight difference of a set of lights between me an my Dad.

Britt, I plan on doing similar with my 72, 2 sets of wings an doors, an different rear valance. Street legal set up for classic rallies an light weight for drag/ hillclimbs an track use. I'd leave the beam in the back of I can get a good scratch resistant one, just glass in the heavy doors. Motors are easy swap, I think I'd leave the beam adjustable an see if I can get away with it. At the moment with the dropped spindles it still sits high as its so light an shock are probably too long.

jonwhite

Club Member
Club Member
July 13, 2009
castledermot
Dave asked me to put some prices together for a 1641cc Kit, I can do all the below for €370 including the VAT. This is normally £379 (Sterling) which would be around €450. This is a cheap way of getting some extra power and some fun racing down a strip.

parts included in a bundle deal

Barrel & piston kit 1641cc, 87mm, repro.

Camshaft, engle 120,

Cam gear,bolt-on,helical (Includes Bolts)

Cam followers, EMPI 28mm light weight, SET of 8

Valve spring, h/duty, set of 8,

Rocker shafts, bolt up,

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
Dave asked me to put some prices together for a 1641cc Kit, I can do all the below for €370 including the VAT. This is normally £379 (Sterling) which would be around €450. This is a cheap way of getting some extra power and some fun racing down a strip.

parts included in a bundle deal

Barrel & piston kit 1641cc, 87mm, repro.

Camshaft, engle 120,

Cam gear,bolt-on,helical (Includes Bolts)

Cam followers, EMPI 28mm light weight, SET of 8

Valve spring, h/duty, set of 8,

Rocker shafts, bolt up,

jons sorting this kit out at cost , so in fairness we would want you to run his logo on your car.

something like an 8x 4" sticker in the rear quarter windows .

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
out of interest, what figures would that conbination put out on the dyno and how would it compare to a bone-stock 1600?

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
out of interest, what figures would that conbination put out on the dyno and how would it compare to a bone-stock 1600?

a stock 1600 engine would produce about 45 BHP at the flywheel.
fitted in a stock beetle would run the quarter mile in about 20-21 seconds .

the 1641 kit with engle 120cam a bit of head porting a set of twin carbs and a merged exhaust header will see 16.5-17.5 second quarters.
we don't have dyno figures for the 1641 kit but at drag day cars running 17seconds were dyno'ed at about 70-75bhp.

I think lorcans 1303 cabriolet is 1641 with engle 120, twin carbs and made 70+bhp on the dyno , his best quarter was 18.3 seconds in a car that's 200kg heavier than a standard beetle.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Thats a killer deal John, i hope you get some racer uptake, i may have to build one myself at this rate lol.

Tony

Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2012
Arklow
Jon from the little research I have done that sounds like a great deal. I wish I didn't have me money tied up in other projects. I could do with rebuilding the engine for the me hightop. I wonder what it would take to get it under 20 seconds. Someone else driving i'd image:lol:

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
In an ideal world i would have been working for the last 3 months :(, works only just started picking up, no cash in the coffers, have to see what my 40th brings LOL.

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Right lads,I'm soon gonna be buying a rebuild kit/longblock for the bug.Just wondering if anyone is building or intends to race in this class next year.
The reason I'm asking is if there isn't much interest I'll get something a bit bigger than a 1641.But if a few guys intend to race in this class I'll build something for this.
Any chance of the ban on headwork being lifted? because I want something nippy for the street as well