Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Car] Price of a reasonable good Camper

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Britt's got a really well priced Bay ready to be shipped - although this is a Westy and not a tintop it's still only working out at €5,500 incl shipping. John Hickey has a ratty tintop that I'm sure he would be only too delighted to sell you.

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
Unless you're handy with a welder and/or have deep pockets then consider buying a rust free one from the USA.

Roadcow (Britt) has been mentioned above - if he doesn't have what you want then he'll find it for you. Send him a PM and he'll tell you what kind of money it'll cost (it'll be a hell of a lot less than STG 13k).

EvilMonkley

Club Member
Club Member
June 19, 2010
Geneva
Thanks lads.
Looking for something that requires no work well definitly not welding as i hope to buy round December and be on the road in Feb as i'm planning a trip round europe for a few months.
Working abroad at the minute so i can't be looking at any thing till then just wanted to put out some feelers.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
If you're thinking of looking for something in Dec then it will take 2 months or so to get the container in so my advice to you is to buy online. We've all done it and the great thing is that Britt is a member of the club as opposed to a random business connection we have there. He is over and back to Ireland on a regular basis and there are enough of us here who can vouch for him.........apart from his fashion sense, that's awful!
If you were hoping to actually view something in Dec then you are very much narrowing your market and may end up having to take whatever is available so I would look back through the threads and you will see that Horizontal, Krissovo, Ruairi etc have all bought from pics sent by Britt and they are very happy with their plug & play VWs. I have bought from pics previously and have been lucky to have Britt there to check the Beetles out for me before paying the seller.

krissovo

Club Member
Club Member
August 9, 2010
Cork
For that money I would expect as minimum a fully documented resto (receipts for replacement parts, 100's of photos showing all work). Engine with history and anything missing and I would walk away. Under €8k I would be less fussy but i would need to know the body is solid and nothing hidden under a shinny paint job.

As Coxy said I bought from photo's and very happy with what I got for my money. I could turn this bus around with two/three days labor easily and would happily drive around Europe for a road trip. That was my plan (well Ireland anyway) but I slipped a disk in my back so I guess I will take my time now :-(.

There is thread here with the Inspection that I did on her last week, http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/showthread.php?6885-Krissovo-s-77-Bay-resto-thread

For about €350 of new parts many of which I doubt I really needed (all new brakes for piece of mind, complete new ignition components, CV boots and seals, fuel lines, filters etc). A complete service and some minor engine work that I have highlighted in the thread if I used a local mechanic would cost about €450 - €700 so around €1k all in, plus the cost of the bus obviously.

Brian Raftery

Administrator
Admin
October 25, 2006
Kiltimagh Co. Mayo
Was just wondering what price range i should be looking at because the only decent ones i seem to see are in England like this one http://www.vwcampercrazy.co.uk/search_detail.asp?AccountID=12033&AdvertID=4008
but they all seem a little pricey.

Here's a guide
under €5,000 its a project
Under €10,000 a lot of work is done and its driving well, but probably needs more work to finish.
Under €15,000 its full restored and ready to go around Europe in!
Over €15,000 over priced, but probably worth if it is done to a high standard on the interior, engine, wheels etc

EvilMonkley

Club Member
Club Member
June 19, 2010
Geneva
Here's a guide
under €5,000 its a project
Under €10,000 a lot of work is done and its driving well, but probably needs more work to finish.
Under €15,000 its full restored and ready to go around Europe in!
Over €15,000 over priced, but probably worth if it is done to a high standard on the interior, engine, wheels etc

Cools thanks yeah i was thinking and looking at around the 10000 mark maybe i have to stretch my budget a little.