Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] Need a Bug engine ASAP

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
If I'm going to have a realistic chance of selling the Bug then I need to have it running. Does any have or know of anyone who has an engine to throw into it. The existing engine is great apart from one of the cylinders i.e the carb, dissy, exhaust system have all been overhauled so I could merge the two..... Let me know, cheers.

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
Why cant you repair the faulty cylinder. At least you,d know the strength of the engine then.

tim

That's true but I have no time or money to strip it down, buy the parts and rebuild. Though, it may still happen

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin

Cheers man, well spotted. I called the guy and he say's it was out of a Splitty, was taken out of it 3 years ago. It was replaced with a T25 engine and gearbox. Unfortunately he doesn't know it's history.... it drove into the garage on it but has been sitting on the garage floor since then. Hard to say what to do.... I guess I'd need a compression test to see if it was worth it.

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
I think I should just get the engine out of mine, see what's wrong and fix it, As Tim say's, I know the engine is good and I'd prefer to sell it with a reliable engine.

RattyOval

AKA Deckie
Admin
November 21, 2006
Ballytoooooole .............
Yeh, could be. Only problem is, I'd like to be able to keep the silencer I just put on my Bug which is a twin port.... that looks like a single port and the exhaust is different.

You could use your inlet manifold on that engine to make it compatable with your exhaust
If that engine has no endfloat and runs its well wort the money
Those 1500 sp engines are every bit as good as tp 1600. some say better

Edit:
Also if it was taken out to convert to a T25 engine (guessing diesel) Most lightly done for the encomony and power not cause it was fucked

Last edited:

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
Also if it was taken out to convert to a T25 engine (guessing diesel) Most lightly done for the encomony and power not cause it was fucked

Yeh, I got the impression that it was running fine before it was removed.

If I was to head down with a compression tester I would need it to run for a while first right?

To get it to run where it is (on the ground), what's the best way? Battery connection obviously, but what about petrol? Any tips?

RattyOval

AKA Deckie
Admin
November 21, 2006
How do you turn over the engine?
I have a few solutions.. Hee Heee

or

Electricity: All you need is a 12v to one side of the coil and an earth.
pipe from bottle of petrol into carb or fuel pump

If the engine hasn't ran in a few years it may take a little fiddling to get it going
Carb probally has dirt in it if its sat for 3 years with no filter on it
points probally need cleaning, Plug leads could be focked also

IF you can get it turning over at all (not running) you should be able to get a compression test done

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
Hehe... whistle while you work with Deckie, LOL

Nice one though, cheers. I think I might check that engine out.....

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
I'm not sure what to do about this engine... I need some advice.

1. Is it 100% that this 1500 will fit in my Bug using my twin port manifold?
2. If I wanted to use my carb and my dissy, will they fit no problem?
3. Is it worth the risk, going to Roscommon and if it has no endfloat, buying it but not starting it up?
4. Is there anyone in the club near Roscommon I could throw a few quid at to have a look for me?

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Just ring caddy, see what he has for sale. At least you'll be gauranteed a good engine. Then you and the buyer
will be happy.

RattyOval

AKA Deckie
Admin
November 21, 2006
Michael there is nothing wrong with a good second hand engine

1. Is it 100% that this 1500 will fit in my Bug using my twin port manifold?
My understanding is that you manifold is twin hotspot not twin port ...

2. If I wanted to use my carb and my dissy, will they fit no problem?
they should be good if they work well togehter now both carbs are the 30-31 size you should swap jets between them

3. Is it worth the risk, going to Roscommon and if it has no endfloat, buying it but not starting it up?
Roll the dice man
You could turn it over with a racket a good few times listening for noises and trying to gauge does the resistance change at any point.
After all this turning check it for end float so ur sure its lubbed up

4. Is there anyone in the club near Roscommon I could throw a few quid at to have a look for me?
Can't help here

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Michael there is nothing wrong with a good second hand engine

Sorry thats what I mean, ring caddy and see if he has one for sale. 1500 would be great in
it too, I'm not byaist at all though. Their great me and Aidan where racing on the way back
from Mondard on the M8. Legal of course!

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
Sorry thats what I mean, ring caddy and see if he has one for sale. 1500 would be great in
it too, I'm not byaist at all though. Their great me and Aidan where racing on the way back
from Mondard on the M8. Legal of course!

Mick was racing and I was disappearing in his rear view mirror :) - great engines those 1500s. Makes my 1200 look very weedy.

Saw you joining the N7 this evening Michael - could have sworn I saw some dust on your car - did you not wash it today? :ROFLMAO: