Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Formular Vee Festival held at mondello park on 21st and 22nd july

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Think my cousin is hoping to be out for this,so Ill be there to support him if nothing else..:)

jdman

Club Member
Club Member
August 21, 2011
naas
Hi thats a interesting looking vee its an english version, the wheels are a give away as the english vee's run 15 inch wheels and the irish ones run 13 inch as for the chassis dont know the make. I think its a marauder, there were only a few built i think only 2 were made, would need to see the rear suspension as it ran an interesting zero roll set up. As for a race engine the english vee engine is a very heavily modified engine that will rev to 7300 rpm from a 1300cc motor. I know where there is one ready to go if you want one, they also run a beetle box. If you want any info on building message me as i race these and have built a few.

loadsabuses

Club Member
Club Member
May 8, 2009
kerry
yes the vee i have came from the uk
. i got it off vzi last year somtime . as i said i know absolutly nothing about it but paid £350 for it thought it was cheap at that . it came dissmantled (kombi noise brought it over inside a t25 camper lol ) it came with all body panels + moulds for making new panels . all steering parts and rear susspension . everything for the engine except the crank case . i didnt get a front beam/ gearbox or wheels .(not a fan of centerlines ) at the moment its just another pile of parts in my shed :-(

jdman

Club Member
Club Member
August 21, 2011
naas
i would have had the wheels always handy for racing, the beam needs to be cut and lowered to fit the car, what carbs did it come with. It wasnt a great car when it was new i believe the guy who came up with the idea spent more time crashing it than racing it. You would have to spend quite a bit to make it run again, probably cheaper to but a spare car and transfer all the bits. As for the festival your welcome to race if you want, there are cars for rent that weekend just get your licience and bring the money. If you send a pic of all the bits could let you know if you have good stuff.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Stick a lowered beam in and a 1600 motor an get it out for the festival, I see some have only one sway away adjuster welded into the beam, dunno why only one?! It'd be a bit of crack, drag it over the Le Bug show at Spa Francochamps in August, they've an aircooled only track day all weekend on the F1 circuit, race prepped bugs an early Vee's on track all weekend!

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
There was a guy this year at Bonneville with a Formula Vee with a race 2180 which only ran 135 on the long course He was way bummed when he heard that I ran 139 mph, he told me before he knew who I was.

jdman

Club Member
Club Member
August 21, 2011
naas
Spa in a vee that would be a long lap I race it in a bike engined single seater and 7.2km still feels a long way but with 80bhp you would need a calander for the laps.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
That makes perfect sense Trev, I shouldve know better considering, plus I never bothered asking.......

@jdman - hah, spectating was a long task too, it felt like there was about 5 cars on track it took then so long to come aroung and to be honest they looked so slow, only a few Turbo'd Bugs looked qiuck through Eau Rouge! - Still left my mate raging he didnt drag one over- we didnt know at the time!!! - We got a lift around in a Bay Pickup during the aircooled parade lap, took hours, awesome on a sunny day!!!

Any talk of parade laps for aircooled cars at the Festival similar to the Classic Car Live?

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Heres the link to my Spa Picture Thread!

http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/showthread.php?6688-Le-Bug-Show-2010-revisited!!-My-pics!&highlight=Le+Bug+Show+pics

I took pics of this Vee and it was nice, early and in good condition but others werent in great nick so I didnt bother!
P1110034.jpg

P1110035.jpg

Parade lap
P1100900.jpg

P1100970.jpg

P1100984.jpg

jdman

Club Member
Club Member
August 21, 2011
naas
i raced one of those historic vee's before it was intersting, the bike engine car was mighty through eau rouge.
IMG_2437.JPG
It has a gsxr-1000 putting out 180bhp the whole car weighs just 350kg thats mighty quick, even still it was a tiring race around spa 25 mins felt longer.
No television or pic truly shows how steep eau rouge is you could hardly walk up it.

Last edited:

jdman

Club Member
Club Member
August 21, 2011
naas
it a leastone formula 5 he also builds the vee,s in the earlier pics i posted. He is based in kildare and his chassis has won the irish and UK vee championships more time than i can count. He also builds my irish race engine went to see the stripped motor at the weekend new bearings and the crank to be balanced for starters and not checked the top end yet, the bills start to mount and i have not driven it yet.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Ah cool, I thought it might be a Leastone! David Sheane is my uncle but im not into 4wheels in that sense, Ive been to busy racing bikes to get involved with cars, my Dad raced Vee's back when they started but went onto rallying so Im more into that! Bikes were cheaper and I figured when I retire I can switch to 4 wheels!!!

Good to see the Vee's getting a push again, will the UK Vee's be over, Id really like to see their cars!!

sam

Club Member
Club Member
December 4, 2006
Kildare
Since Mondello is only 3 miles down the road i think the bus and beetle Will go to this. Can camp on Friday night in my parents if anyone wants to and convoy together.