Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

6th January 2007 :: Club Launch

Claire

October 24, 2006
Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo
launch001.jpg

First convoy and first missing car....keep up at the back Eamonn!!! :lol:
Myself and Molly were in Daisybus the orange camper :)

launch006.jpg

met up with Declan and Nora in Claremorris and took another wee break to meet up and chat :)

launch002.jpg

This is Mary and Joe's hitop bay

launch004.jpg

Tom and Harry's wheels for the day

launch005.jpg

Eamonn drove the black bug

launch007.jpg

Here is Dave with his 2cv....all the way from Cork :shock:

launch008.jpg

Ruairi and family came in the dormobile camper :)

Jeez...did I not get a pic of Ross's bus :shock: ...I remember the dixie horns though :)

Claire

October 24, 2006
Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo
launch012.jpg

launch011.jpg

launch010.jpg

launch009.jpg

We got to Clonbur safely and warmed ourselves nicely by the cosy fore in Burke's pub :) Soup, toasties etc were enjoyed by everyone as we got to know each other and had a good old chat :) and the kids played :lol:

Claire

October 24, 2006
Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo
We also had a visit from a representative from the magazine "Irish Vintage Scene"
http://www.irishvintagescene.ie/

Keep buying the mag :) we will be featured in it in the near future 8)

It was time to head off on a leisurely drive around the loughs and then on to Partry, Ballinrobe and Claremorris....there were another few stops on the way...all social ones :lol: ...no Garda checkpoints! :lol:

launch013.jpg

launch014.jpg

launch015.jpg

launch017.jpg

We drove on to our lovely hotel... the newly opened 4 star McWilliam Park Hotel.......drinks first by the cosy fire and then into the restaurant for our beautiful meal :) :) :)

launch018.jpg

launch019.jpg

eircooled was officially launched today January 6th 2007 :)

We welcome all new members to our forum and to our club and meetings and get-togethers...we will be even more sociable when the weather improves and we can stand about outside longer :lol: :lol: :lol: chatting and admiring aircooled motors 8)

We had a beautiful 4 course meal with great company...old and new friends! :) and then sadly had to go our separate ways at the end of the night....adults got tired and kids got cranky :lol:

launch022.jpg

launch023.jpg

Our next meet is at Tom's workshop...all are welcome 8)

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
Great launch - fantastic. Fair balls to Deckie and 2CV for coming from so far. Oh yeah and Airhead - even if he was 28 hours late and still hasn't gone home yet :)

2cv

:)
It turned out to be a fantastic day, despite the weather letting us down on several occasions... Nice turnout!

One problem though... I think i've been bitten by the vw bug. Loved the vans. I want one :p Few problems to overcome: first have to find the money for it, and then find a place to keep it :)

See you all soon!

Dave

Claire

October 24, 2006
Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo
2cv said:
It turned out to be a fantastic day, despite the weather letting us down on several occasions... Nice turnout!

One problem though... I think i've been bitten by the vw bug. Loved the vans. I want one :p Few problems to overcome: first have to find the money for it, and then find a place to keep it :)

See you all soon!

Dave

Hi Dave,

could be bitten by worse :lol:

look forward to meeting up with ye again :)

2cv

Next meeting, i'll be there again with good old faithfull Cecile :) Won't make it for the workshop, because i'll be in Glasgow... Would love to be there though. Even though i don't have a VW (yet!!!), i'd say this could be very interesting...

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
2cv said:

Dave

I heard at least one person saying that their next car (It think that would make 11) would be a 2CV. I won't say who in case his wife Claire eats the head of him.

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
DSC04245.JPG

The motors.

DSC04253.JPG

The dinner.

DSC04257.JPG

The youngest member (must get the €25 from her this week).

DSC04262.JPG

The cake again.

Thanks to Claire for organising everything for the launch.

Tom

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
athy
was such a great day :) - shame Hugh (shuggie) couldn't be there

the sun might even shine on us and the cars the next time we meet up 8)

@Ruairi - didn't get the 2cv yet but will try my best before the end of the month :wink:

S

Suze

Looks like ye had a great day!! Pity I missed it :( :( I'm back at work today but been sick for the last week. Looking forward to the next meet :)

2cv

Eircooled nearly lost it's only 2CV yesterday :(

I left Galway last night at around 7.45 to drive back to Cork. As I went through Ennis and got onto the dual carriageway, i noticed a strange smell from the engine and i saw flickering lights. Of course, I pulled over onto the hard shoulder immediately, opened the bonnet and what did i see but a sea of flames. :( I immediately took all my belongings out of the car and took a t shirt from my suitcase and started putting out the fire, which i managed to do in the end. My left hand is burnt as a result, but at least i managed to save the 2CV. I called the AA and they towed the car away, even though it was still driving, but i didn't want to take the risk.

I stayed over at a friend's place in Limerick who also happens to be a doctor, so he took care of my hand.

This morning as the car was being towed back to Cork i took a closer look at the engine. What had actually happened was one of the heater hoses that conducts the heat from the heat exchangers to the bulkhead had come loose and fallen onto the engine and caught fire. Because i managed to put out the fire quite quickly, there is hardly any damage to the car (bar the distinct smell of rotten barbeque in the car) :D

None of the wiring has been damaged so basically all it needs is a bit of a clean up and a new heater hose. This time i will do the smart thing and buy the aluminium aftermarket hoses instead of the cardboard original ones. Oh, and i will also invest in a fire extinguisher!!!

Conclusion: car is fine and in a couple of weeks the hand will be fine as well. So all is well again in Eircooled land :)

I sincerely hope that i'm the only one with a horror story like that this weekend :)