Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] trailing arm for a balljpint beam

chewy356

Club Member
Club Member
April 4, 2012
Meath (Ashbourne direction)
need one trailing arm for ballpoint frontend, doesn't matter which one or condition. just need to hold torsion leaves for machining.
meath or north Dublin would be great an I will pick up.

thanks for reading.

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
need one trailing arm for ballpoint frontend, doesn't matter which one or condition. just need to hold torsion leaves for machining.
meath or north Dublin would be great an I will pick up.

thanks for reading.

Any chance of a picture of that old thumper:D

Cant help with the trailing arm tho.

stump

Club Member
Club Member
April 25, 2011
dundalk ireland
Hey Chewy..

The best way to drill them is on a milling machine or a proper drill press. As they are hardened steel, the leaves will try and move when the drill hits them. You need to drill them SLOWLY, with a centre drill and then a drill with the correct angle to secure the grub screw.

It is a 15 minute job with the right gear. If you get them up to me i will drill them out for you.

Cheers, Paul.

chewy356

Club Member
Club Member
April 4, 2012
Meath (Ashbourne direction)
cheers for the offer Paul. There is a local lad here who does bits for me, he has a a full on machine shop out the back of his house with 30ft long lathes and all sorts and I get him to do a few bits for me. Caddy posted pics a while back of doing the machining of the dimple and he used an old trailing arm to hold the spring plates tight, and then drilled through the grub screw hole - seemed like a good plan, so was going to give my guy the old trailing arm and let him use it the same way.

Tim, I don't seem to have a decent picture, at least I cannot find one on this computer.
photo_zpsba35c051.jpg

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
Picture is great, the old AJ.. brings back many memories. I had a good few of the old singles myself. used to do a lot of work on them back in the day. Not too many around now though.
Nothing like the sound of a single cylinder thumper......

Nice one:D

AntiGrav

Club Member
Club Member
June 15, 2007
Wicklow
Picture is great, the old AJ.. brings back many memories. I had a good few of the old singles myself. used to do a lot of work on them back in the day. Not too many around now though.
Nothing like the sound of a single cylinder thumper......

My brother back in New Zealand used to have a Matchless G80. Amazing machine. 500cc single wasn't it? He still has a Norton Electra packed in grease in his garage. There were some great bikes in the neigbourhood - Norton , AJS, Indian, Triumph. When I hear an old British bike, it is like listening to music :D