Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

tenasaurus shaking

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Must check.... :ROFLMAO:

Could have an oval set up for drag racing stashed away somewhere, just waiting to be assembled... Memory is fuzzy.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Right, this is where I need the most advice an help before the next drag day. I need to sort the tranny mounts. I could get the power down even with our rachet strap tranny mount it was jumping around. The box takes the later mounts, 72/3 on.

The nosecone mount is the big heavy one, do I keep this stock?

The mid mount I can fabricate but can't find good pic of how the rubber blocks go to the frame horns, some seem to need brackets welded on.

The rear mount, do I loose the blocks an solid mount?

Traction bar - I can't us the above option as I cut off the rear valance/bumper mounts.

G

here`s the oneonone mount i got recently, there`s a pair of solid mounts for racing and rubber mounts for street.

the two brackets weld on to the outside lower frame horns. there are much simpler lighter homemade versions of these knocking around. pete shaddocks car is a good example but can`t find a pic, there was a feature in vowo couple years back that show petes set up

GetAttachment.aspx

here`s a home made one something like the pete shaddock one

297762.jpg

i was told if you use a mid mount and one of these below that you won`t need a traction bar

solidmnt1.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyMickey

Club Member
Club Member
July 7, 2009
Cork
I Have a Gene Berg Traction bar for sale! I had it on my 77 cabrio, and took it off when the cabrio was sold.Its almost new!

Last edited:

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
I was looking at the one I have there today. I don't know what the wall thickness of the tube is but the plate section is not 1/4" like the one in your link above. It is around 3 - 4mm max. Won't be back to the garage until later in the week, I'll take proper measurements of the various thicknesses then.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
I put the car on the lift last night. I only have around 8mm of stud an 7mm of thread so any more than 3-4 would mean replacing the gearbox studs. I also had a look around the car.
I have a late style front mount (73 on) do I leave it stock?
I've no way of mounting a traction bar as the rear end is cut off so what options have I?
Do I solid mount the front of the box or use poly bushes? If its solid do I run the risk of twisting the frame horns?

G

yeah it`s a heavy bastard alright. one like this could be made thinner i`m sure as it`s much smaller and solid mounted doubt it would flex

297762.jpg

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
I took the gearbox out of the oval chassis yesterday and could have a good look at the mid mount that is there. It is exactly the same as the one in Barry's pic above. It is welded directly to the frame horns, no rubber mounts. The plate is 6mm thick.

I also had a closer look at the other mid mount that came off the 67. The rectangular tube section is 3mm wall thickness. The plate section is 4mm thick. It bolts to the gearbox as normal and there are rubber mounts either end. But instead of the mounts locating in metal brackets welded to the frame horns, these ones just sit up under the frame horns and are tightened against them. Seems a bit of a half-assed way to do it, but is better than none I suppose.

Strangely the oval's gearbox has solid rear and mid mounts, but no front mount whatsoever. Another less than legit feature of this car.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Tsar had those bushes resting on the frame horns not clamped ( i think) it did zero fro his launches, the nose cone really needs to be tied in to stop the thing acting like a pivot flapping around all over, i have the mount as described ala berg inter mount, outboard weld in tabs on the frame horns that the rubber bush scrwews into, i have never had tramping issues, i guess ive just been really lucky.