Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

tenasaurus shaking

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
the cars engine was shaking badly at drag day , like a Hotpoint on spin with concrete blocks inside , PS don't try that !

pulled the motor Saturday and found both transmission mounts in several pieces , so we solid mounted the transmission , will see if its cured on 21st September.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
I cant actualy believe nothing broke, oh wait!!! It nearly went up in flames LOL!!! Cant wait to see it back out now!!

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
I was going to ask this question, why it was shaking so much. I also noticed how there was some wheel hop off the line with Tsar's car. The gearbox in my car is already solid mounted. But would a traction bar or kafer cup brace be a good addition to the rear suspension setup of a drag bug? A traction bar seems handy enough to fabricate.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
The single most improvement you can make is by fitting an " intermediate" mount, this bolts to the gearbox behind and below the gear cluster housing ( not the nosecone ) coupled with a traction bar ( which cost buttons to fabricate ) this is a great setup on the cheap, i have a kafer brace but not fitted it as it envolves cutting some body work, the car hooks good with no fuss, will pull 1.9 60ft on the van treads. These are cheap ways to really tighten up the rear end that from my experience WORK!!

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Use it with a home made traction bar and it should help you no end, beware of the internet, youll be spending fortunes on shit you dont need, keep it simple.

colin

Club Member
Club Member
January 10, 2008
Monaghan
Is it the traction bar that is hanging on two threaded bars underneath the engine? How does it work?
Does it prevent the engine moving downwards under hard acceleration, stopping the shaking.

What about torque bars mounted from the frame horns to the shock mounts. Do they solve the same problem?

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Justin, i run the one on one intermediate, it is pretty much a copy of the berg inter mount.

Colin, the traction bar helps prevent the engine from moving downwards but not rotationaly, the inter mount keeps the nosecone from moving around too much, i have broken nosecones before in my old 1914cc 64 on the street so i know how that feels!!!!

The torque bars work differently, they tie into the framehorns, the idea is to prevent bent framehorns on hard launching cars that produce a lot of horsepower and torque. ive managed up to now without one so if your car is light enough and running anywhere near the 12's i would say there is no real need for a torque bar, built box and slicks may change that scenario as with that combination you can launch the car putting far more stress on pretty much everything, check out Daves car, he has torque bars tied into the frame horns and cage, all adjustable and all handmade.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
i did a template for Dave, if he still has it, ill post it down and you can make your own.

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
Is it the traction bar that is hanging on two threaded bars underneath the engine? How does it work?

Yes. From what I've read it is approx. 35" length of 1.5" square tube with a 1/8" wall thickness. Hangs below and supports the engine under the oil pump area. There is a dense rubber hockey puck looking piece between the bar and the underside of the engine. The square tube hangs on two L-shaped rods, which in turn hang from brackets bolted to the inner wings or bumper mounts depending on who makes the kit. I've also seen some where the rods just hook into holes in the inner wings, but I think I'd prefer the strength of the brackets. The one in the pic below is a Berg bar I think. Looks very simple to fab.

G

i bought a used oneonone , one just recently for peanuts. they seem easy enough to make mind . the rubber block parts are just standard anti vibrate mounts can be bought cheaply

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
i bought a used oneonone , one just recently for peanuts. they seem easy enough to make mind . the rubber block parts are just standard anti vibrate mounts can be bought cheaply

What did you do with the one I sold to you? Can you remember? :D

G

here`s another idea for stopping flex in the frame horns. the 2 vertical bars connect to a horizontal bar above the luggage floor, the horizontal bar is tied into the rear inner wings.

supposed to be the ultimate set up for eliminating wheel hop

solidmnt1.jpg

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
:D

I'm sure I bought one, and I'm sure I sold it, yeah. I thought it was with the oval that never happened..