Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

show of hands

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Theres not a chance in hell id race at Tullow, if you look how sketchy my car was on the run down on my final run you can gaurantee itd be in the field on its roof at tullow

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
All the locals round here drag or drift at Tullow, there's no timing an just co.council style roadworks traffic lights. Full Scanger Chavs in Hondas, but then again the Jap brigade are everywhere. I was thinking of testing/setting up the car there for the next drag day but they're nearly closed for the season. The drag an drift on alternate weekends.

As far as a proper event, nor a hope. I had thought of it before for VW show as the loads of empty warehouses for a show&shine an fields for camping, but after Sunday, the drag facility just wouldn't cut it.

Empty airports are what we need.

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
Empty airports are what we need.

There are a handful of abandoned airstrips about but most of them appear to be only around 1/3 mile long total. Wouldn't be adequate room for pits, fire up lane and run off. Unless you only ran 1/8 mile.

Looks like the old RAF/Irish Air Corps field at Gormanstown with a 1/2 mile tarmac strip would be suitable, but seems like it's still occasionally used for air to ground firing exercises by the Air Corps... so that's probably out!

It'd be really accessible though, just off J7 on the M1, beside Mosney. Might be no harm in asking...:D

Last edited:

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
Is that on a closed road?

What is it that makes it only suitable for bikes?

Edit: OK, just seen the part where they all stream back down the strip!

Last edited:

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
guys there is enough room at my house, and daves and im sure shanes, if you sign up to the shift junkies open drag thenwhy not just come along with us for some seat time.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Ben's right, if you want to race there's regular drag days all year long, if its organizing an aircooled only event, that's different, but if Ben & Dave run again it will be August next year I guess. Is there room for 2 a year? I still think there's the need for a VW show in the East, there's a big gap between Limerick an Fermoy on the calendar perhaps it could do both.

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
You'll need a fast car! Feck back to square one.

I'd like to dis-associate myself from those times set on the strip.It was in fact Mikey who took my name in vain.I warned him not to make a bollocks of me.:p:

If it was my car I would have easily ran sub 13s.Sure it'll do 140mph ye know..:p:

Last edited:

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
This is what I plan to do, take advantage of this great offer. I want to get some seat time with the small engine then strap on the larger one. Also want to lull the Jap. stuff into a sense of security and then rip off a low 12 sec pass.

guys there is enough room at my house, and daves and im sure shanes, if you sign up to the shift junkies open drag thenwhy not just come along with us for some seat time.

colin

Club Member
Club Member
January 10, 2008
Monaghan
I'll certainly be setting the car up for another drag day.
The day was the best craic I've had in years.
It will be a turbo setup, and I think I'll keep it as a 1600 with just a few mods.
HD valve springs and a full exhaust system, might even invest in a few barbed oil fittings and keep the oil inside the engine this time.

It's great to see such interest by everyone to build something more potent, but I was very impressed by some of the group 1 cars, they can really shift.
I predict 'The Arena' will be buzzing with activity this winter.

My car is already in the shed being stripped down, it needs a few bits'n'bobs and generally a good going over.