Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

show of hands

loadsabuses

Club Member
Club Member
May 8, 2009
kerry
the Baja will get a bigger engine. and i have it in the head to build something else type 2 based again it will be using as many parts as we can find laying around to keep the costs down only difference is unlike the Baja it wont be built in 3 weeks lol

VDubbin

Club Member
Club Member
November 17, 2011
Limerick
Have to say, the enthusiasm is contagious! I couldn't make it to eh last one, but there's no way I'm missing the next one, even if I have to push the car the length of the country to get there!

30hp class sounds perfect!

58Panel-Youny

Club Member
Club Member
November 26, 2009
wicklow
I've always got great plans floating around in my head, but without an unexpected windfall, I can't plan on any more upgrades to the van or engine for racing.. (for now :)).
At the risk of sounding boring, I still do have a (cost free) plan though.. its to try some serious weight reduction to see how that effects my times next time out, with keeping all other things equal. For the next day I get racing I plan on whipping out the kitchen unit, sink, cooker and gas. When I get to the track Im also going to drop the 2 big heavy steel bumpers off the van, and remove the massive truck mirrors too.. I've no idea how much, if any, difference this will make, but I plan to find out :D

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
JohnnyG said what I've known/missed for years!
Ive been to Volksworld once an never went back even though there's the annual Irish pilgrimage to it. The year I was there I felt there was something missing, when I was outside leaving the show a gnarly Ghia floored it up the roads an that's when it dawned on me that I was missing the noise! Years of Santa Pod an Avon/Shakespeare drag based shows, I just love the noise of hard revving flat fours. These days I head to Euro show were I get to see that show cars driving around the campsite, not behind bunting.

People slag me for ragging the Oval around, KVinyl is the same with his Porkers, technically you can't over rev a 1600, you all enjoyed it this year so you don't need to get too carried away to enjoy next year.

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
JohnnyG said what I've known/missed for years! I've been to Volksworld once an never went back even though there's the annual Irish pilgrimage to it. The year I was there I felt there was something missing, when I was outside leaving the show a gnarly Ghia floored it up the roads an that's when it dawned on me that I was missing the noise! Years of Santa Pod an Avon/Shakespeare drag based shows

Stanford Hall is a must see show for Vdub people, cheap to get there and a super event to add into the mix.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Been there too Mikey, nice day out when the weathers nice but not the same as a weekender.

Also thinking back, we always seem to have good craic doing parade laps at Mondello shows an although I didn't go to Jumpstart, pics showed you all had the craic driving your Vw's around the kart track!

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Been there too Mikey, nice day out when the weathers nice but not the same as a weekender.

Also thinking back, we always seem to have good craic doing parade laps at Mondello shows an although I didn't go to Jumpstart, pics showed you all had the craic driving your Vw's around the kart track!

it's funny, I was chatting to a guy after Fermoy this year and said that I found it a bit jaded (no disrespect to the lads who organised it, great show as always, I'm the problem here :D) and felt that I might have had my fill of static shows. I actually had a genuine moment where I thought maybe my obsession with cars and motors has reached it's peak...:blink:

Was chatting to the same guy on Monday after the drag weekend and quote "I'm hooked after the weekends outing, just the change needed from the monotony of static shows. When I think on what i enjoyed most this summer it was easily the track session around Mondello and tearing down the drag strip on Sunday"

Apart from the fact that I'm quoting myself the best part for me after the weekends racing is that it's after rekindling this buzz again. I had an absolute ball on Sunday, still buzzing after it actually, which is the same way I felt after tearing around the track at the Mondello show. We're not going particulary fast or taking corners very well but it is getting a chance to drive our cars as we don't normally do - you can't do that at a static show! It's that bad that I've even started to look at future dates for Santa Pod, etc...I I probably may not go but I wasn't looking at that event last year...! Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still go to most of the static shows anyhow but if there is a date clash with a 'racing' event I know what'll win out every time...

All we need now is access to a 1/4 mile strip in the south or midlands for another meet sometime around April - next August is way too long to be waiting for another Aircooled Drag Day!

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
You should head over to Spa, aircooled track days all weekend long on the most famous F1 circuit outside Monaco. I'm itching to get a car there, it's the same every year but next year there's a chance.

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
I had a blast going to Martin Murray's this year in the 924 on the backroads. I even beat my own PB. :D

The best part of any show/meeting/weekend etc. is the drive and the craic, the park and polish bit is always a chore IMHO.

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
All we need now is access to a 1/4 mile strip in the south or midlands for another meet sometime around April - next August is way too long to be waiting for another Aircooled Drag Day!

Newlands Cross, tomorrow morning 6AM? :p

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
let-the-games-begin-demotivational-poster-1225904326.jpg