Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

expensive?

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Hmmm depends what work and how good ;) But its more than you'd need to spend doing up your bug. Or are you thinking of buying a restored one?

george

Club Member
Club Member
March 20, 2007
Galway
www.gacurley.com
in short yes, no 78 bug no matter how good it is, is worth 9k in the current climate. in really nice condition i would say about 6 would be the ceiling and even then they would be waiting a while to sell it, but thats just my opinion

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
The chassis will still be under warranty, that's worth a lot to some buyers.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Its probably cheap compared to what it cost!!! I woman came to my Dad recently looking for work done to her bug that wasnt running right, she had only had it restored (not by Emilio) and the supposed recon motor was running on 3! Well it wasnt as clean as that car and cost more than 10k for the resto!!!!

Still way too dear for model, when you can pick up a proper vintage bug for less! It continues to baffle me what people pay for 70's beetles! Perhaps its due to the lifelong dream to own a beetle that people are willing to pay that, the same way the nmost people at car shows will walk past my 54 Oval and dismiss it as 'just another beetle' even though its propably on of the oldest cars at the show!

Last edited:

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
some people don't see the differences, even when pointed out. A few years ago, I had my bug when it was silver and a silver New Beetle parked beside it, Caroline's granny couldn't see any difference...

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
sp_0910_02_v6..jpg
Faaaaaaag!

Greatballsoffire57

Club Member
Club Member
February 2, 2008
Laois
I had my '61 in town today. When I came back to it there were 2 women standing beside it and one of them asked me "Is that the 1996 Beetle I saw for sale on the paper?"

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I had my '61 in town today. When I came back to it there were 2 women standing beside it and one of them asked me "Is that the 1996 Beetle I saw for sale on the paper?"

and then you said "sure it is, you buying?" :ROFLMAO:

Tsar, feck 'em, newbies are cool, I'd get another tomorrow. Mine (well, the compaany car) was a 1.9 tee diddley eye. Lovely solid car on the road. The seating position was great, loved it...

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Trev, I've never had any interest in one, I was looking for a daily as Ive been hacking around in the T4 without a DOE and I want to do a few bits for the ticket plus start converting it etc! I had bought a MK2 Gti but it too needed work before it could be used daily so that was a silly move (shifted it on Sunday!), I had been tempted buy the 67 that my mate ended up with and then I decided to look for an E class Benz and drop it! I got a phone call for my Dad to say his job where trading in a Newbie and it all happened rather quickly!

Its a 00 2L with 58k on the clock. It needs manning up alright, Im looking for a set of wheels but after that I wont touch it!!! It starts first turn and will be reliable, if tirsty but at least I dont have any interest in spending money modifying it!!! I got it for a decent price so shouldnt loose on it even if I keep it a year!

RattyOval

AKA Deckie
Admin
November 21, 2006
Ballytoooooole .............
Ive had a couple of people driving new beetles wave at me!

A yoke like below appeared close to me
there used to be little wave when i was in my beetles but then when I got the bus there was waving flashing of lights tooting of horns and probally screaming and jumping on the seats. All while i looked the other way. :(

Then one day i seen them stopped outside my house gawking in. I live in a cul de sac they had no reason to be there bar annoy me. Thank fuck they didn't get out.

Haven't seen it about for a few months now. maybe they realised they looked like tits. ( i've jinxed it now, I'll probally meet them on the road on my way home)

This is what the yoke looked like
vw-samba-yellow-white.jpgvw-samba-yellow-white-interior.jpg