Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Car] Bug Query

bug eireann

Club Member
Club Member
July 19, 2010
Midlands
Hello again Lads'n'lasses,

Still searching for a Beetle....and saw these on CarsIreland and was hoping you might be able to offer some advice/details on them. If I get the chanve I might go to look at one (all........or none) next week.

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=565397&r=s.php%3Fm%3D93%26w%3D1%26g%3D0

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=528716&r=s.php%3Fm%3D93%26w%3D1%26g%3D0

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=562795&r=s.php%3Fm%3D93%26w%3D1%26g%3D0

Does anyone here know these cars (or own them for that matter). Any history/information would be great - how do they fare moneywise (I know a car - like anything else is only worth what someone will pay for it - but the "Restored Beetle" at €7995 seems waaay over the odds - have emailed the garage for information on what work was carried out).

I'm leaning more towards the 1967 Baby-Blue car...but why would the seller mention having trouble with fuses...are these just not replaced easily (or is that a really dumb question). Any particular bits I should be on the look out for on a 67 car? I'm sorta concerned that it needs "TLC" on a car that has had a "professional rebuild and rreconditioned engine".

As above, and info. would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

G.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
The 1st one looks like it could have a lot of filler in it and the shut lines are shit.
The 2nd one looks to be very nice but that's been for sale for a good few months so there might be a reaosn for that and I would have someone here check it out with you. There may be nothing wrong with it and maybe it was previously overpriced and that may be why it didn't sell.
The 3rd one is a 1200 1978 Betle with €400 wheels - nothing special so not worth the asking price. It looks nice but not €8k nice. I don't know why he's showing a pic of the speedo because it's not from a 78 Beetle so the mileage is wrong.
The 4th option is to buy Kongomush's Beetle for sale here @ €2,400. It's a genuine Irish car with a traceable history, is cheap to buy and with a secondhand motor in it you'll be laughing. There are plenty of 1200 motors for sale at reasonable prices - again, bring someone with you to make sure the engine isn't fooked or at least look for endfloat. I reckon you could have Higo's Bug on the road for €3k.

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
If I was in the market for a bug and was openminded as to the era of the car (I reckon that you are as you've posted a mix), I'd go for this:

http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/showthread.php?6483-ZIP347-is-up-for-sale!

I'm not just saying that because its 'local' to us here but because its very much a case of what you see is what you get and I'd see it as being underpriced.

I don't know the other cars so I can't really comment fairly except to say that 8k is very serious money for a late bug and I'd be suspicious of value when buying off a showroom floor. I'd also be concerned about any seller who says that an issue is easily fixed yet hasn't fixed it themselves before sale - its a sure sign that its not that easily/cheaply fixed. I'd suspect that the '67 is blowing fuses which is a whole different ball game. I can't really comment on the '69 - you'd have to have a good look around it to see what its really like. The underside of a bug is as important as the bits you see so you'd need to check out the bulkhead, sills, heater channels and rear quarters. Any bubbles (rust or just moisture/reaction) coming back on a bare metal respray would concern me so I'd be looking for them too.

Edit: Coxy types a lot faster than me so sorry for any duplication - its not a conspiracy - honest!

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
As Coxy and Horizontal say... buy my car... lol.... no, seriously, buy it...

I'm sure someone here has an old engine lying around which could be thrown in an a morning.... I just have my hands full at the moment and I'm skint!

http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/sho...is-up-for-sale!

Here's another teaser

IMG_0018.JPG

DSCF6516.jpg
[/IMG]

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
I agree, looks like a great buy. Motors do come up for sale now and again, or you could ask Caddy to sort one for you.

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
I'm not getting paid for this honestly, only in Carlesberg!

Hugo's car, is a little gem. Its Irish, its a lovely colour not only in pictures but in the flesh.
The headliner is in great condition and the overall interior is in a very condition as you can
see in the pictures. We went for about 10 miles or so, from cold. It was a pocket rocket,
(that was till he fucked the engine, sorry Hugo had too!! LOL).

But it ran as sweet as a nut and was really nice. The steering was tight, it drove like an early
70's beetle should. Its your money, but with €2,500 Hugo's way.

Your going to have a car thats known in the scene, well kept after, Irish regged, and if you look after
it theirs no reason to see many years driving out of this little beauty.

Congrads on your purchase.

p0x

Club Member
Club Member
November 15, 2006
Cork
I'd say ye frightened him off lads!
Of the three adverts, the '67 looks the best car, but as has been mentioned earlier, its on sale for ages & various problems still haven't been sorted before sale. Wouldn't be arsed with the other 2, the mint green one is, well, a bit too mint green (alloy wheels???) & I'd always be a bit suspect about a maindealer of any sort selling a vintage/classic car.
Hugos is a nice honest irish car reasonably priced.
You'll get plenty support, sympathy, advice & pisstaking here all the time.

And if there was any problem with it, you can come on here anytime & shame Hugo...

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Did you read Deckies link?

Cathryn said:
I used to own JOT356E (Jottie)! Made a pig's ear of it though, didn't know what i was doing, got loads of work done at Charlie's before selling around 4 years ago. What I would do to see that car again!

Ouch.

duts

Club Member
Club Member
January 31, 2010
Laois
i'd have hugos beetle in a heartbeat if i had the cash, ya keep an eye out for a good car at a reasonable price and as soon as one turns up ya haven't a rex! these boys call a spade a spade so ya can take they're word for it.

duts

Club Member
Club Member
January 31, 2010
Laois
fair enough good point, but i did say hugos was number one anyway so in your face rez!!!! lol

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
Sticks and stones may break my bones...................but chairs get tied to clubhouses!!!!! ;)

duts

Club Member
Club Member
January 31, 2010
Laois
at least i wasn't locked up in the loft gettin kitkats pegged at me? plus i didn't call ya anything, with your sticks and stones

beag

Club Member
Club Member
July 16, 2009
Tipperary
I saw the bug kongomush is selling before he bought it and I have to say at €2500 its a steal, If it was me this is the one I'd go for.
Buy an engine for it and away you go.

bug eireann

Club Member
Club Member
July 19, 2010
Midlands
Lads - thanks for the replies.......and glad to see there is no bias on the forum!!!

Thanks for your advice on both.....on closer look the Mint Green one is out (just isn't grabbing me - interior/exterior colourwise alone) ...as is the dealer based one, as said above, a main dealer selling such a car is "unusual" at best - but perhaps more importantly........I don't have near (make that "anywhere near") that colour of money to spend!

Got a long email back from the seller of JOT - it is now a 67-D reg and, as you pointed out above Deckie, he told me he had had a query from a "previous lady owner". He said it was "tatty" before being restored by two brothers who "moved on to restoring VW's professionally". He also stated that

(QUOTE):
"Seemingly NONE of the previous owners ever connected the heater channels which carry warm air from the engine bay to the cabin through little tunnels under the runner sills... anyone who knows anything about Beetles will tell you that this design fault (pumping hot moisture-laden air through freezing cold steel tunnels on cold mornings causing condensation which leads to rust and inevitably structural damage), is the primary cause of old Beetle's being written off. The pristine heater tunnels, structural soundness and lack of rust are actually the primary selling points for this car. Thank god my brother never connected the heater either."

Which brings me on to Hugo.....your car looks stunning - to be honest I love the colour and overall look of the car.....you "teaser" pictures above are just that. I'm very interested, but one slight "issue" might be explaining to the missus that I'm buying a "non-runner". That said, I'll give you a call over the weekend (sending you a pm after I post this)......if I can get it into the garage without her knowing, then I could "talk around it" from there (Damn, how do I get it there.....?!)

Anyone know who would repair/rebuild the engine? (and estimated costs!?). Where could I source a reconditioned engine?I'm not a complete moron with the spanners, but it's mainly "routine work" I would undertake....I would have to factor in this price to the overal cost. (The floor welding I can get done locally).

Soooo, I'm not frightened off - but me head is fecking sore trying to figure out the options!

Thanks for all the replies above - they are much appreciated.

G