Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Car] Bargains on DoneDeal

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Yeah, mine were welded closed (kept the trim) but the when they are the recess usually remains. It would take a bit of work to get it that smooth.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
It would be easier to plate it over completely rather than try and keep the indentation like the standards. Most people looking to close it off plate them over and then smooth it with filler and they'd be as smooth as that one. Did yours still have the indentation?

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Yeah, half-moon plates is the standard method (without the black trim), no?

goShmh.jpg

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Yeah, they're on all standard Beetles. VW were so feckin miserable in the 70's they wouldn't even give vents on their base models. They even left the recess to show you what you couldn't afford :D

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
Yeah, pre-'71 is right but those vents are often welded closed too which isn't a bad thing because they're only rust traps.

Are you buying Tim?

Nope, dont you know there is a recession on;).

Might ramble over that direction next week for a tyre kicking session though. I know a type 2 that might be making its maiden voyage over to that part of the country, so I might be riding shotgun then:cool:

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
Priced to sell... Never understand why people put that in their ads!
tumblr_mdra8o8jEo1r3d02ro1_500.jpg

Still though, if it is only surface rust as your man says and it runs, it could be a nice cheap early T25 for someone and they're getting rare now!