Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

a new forum sub section

a new forum sub section

• yes

Votes: 23 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
I totally agree with the Stock 1600 class. We have adapted something like it for Bonneville this year. It's to help keep the costs down and let more people run. I'm just over the top with everything that I do can't help it I guess. Maybe that's why my back yard like like scrap heap challenge. I'm lucky in that I have access to VW parts everywhere. I will make this promise. Anybody who buys specific DRAG parts I'll ship then over for FREE in one of my Buses.
The stock 1600 class needs to be an "Honor" class, in that nobody is going to check if you are cheating. I'd say stock carb must be in place and fan belt must be on. We'll let you put on any exhaust ( everybody likes to hear a stinger) but that's it. Just my .02c

is boosting allowed i.e. turbo or charger?

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
I think we're loosing the run of ourselves here lads.The format last sunday was spot on.Why change it?

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
How about keeping it simple? - When you see the last orange light, go as fast as you can in a straight line. Then come back and do it again. Faster.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I like Justin's approach. Just rag the shite out of whatever you have.

You'll find your level and find some others at that level to race against. As mentioned before, I had great craic racing against Kvinyl, Kobat and Kombinoise. Even though the four cars were totally different animals, the times were within a second or so of each other and it made for some great neck-and-neck racing. It was way more fun than watching the tetanusaurus or that mk2 Golf disappear off into the sunset IMO.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Shouldn't we be having this conversation in the new motorsport section?

Current classes worked very well, 1600cc, under 2000, over 2000. You could possibly add an up to 1300 class.

The under 2000 is a class that could be very interesting with so many combinations, an cheaper too with smaller carbs being more affordable.

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
once the testosterone has calmed down about i think a normalish service will be resumed, lets not worry about next year just yet, although adding this sub section gives eircooled a new added dimension, time to start coming up with a cheap combo of modifications that will really wake up a stock 1600, good job weve got access to a dyno then ;-)

CulmoreDubClub

Club Member
Club Member
June 9, 2011
Derry / Donegal
I like Justin's approach. Just rag the shite out of whatever you have.

You'll find your level and find some others at that level to race against. As mentioned before, I had great craic racing against Kvinyl, Kobat and Kombinoise. Even though the four cars were totally different animals, the times were within a second or so of each other and it made for some great neck-and-neck racing. It was way more fun than watching the tetanusaurus or that mk2 Golf disappear off into the sunset IMO.

Run what you brung, Neck and Neck is the way to go....... I loved the day out, I for one am feeling a little stupid now for not ringing the fastbacks neck a little further, I made 4 passes up the strip but I really didnt want to break her and wasnt fully aware of how much abuse a little aircooled motor can take.....lol....!!! She had to drive home.... I think the secret to a good days racing is getting paired with someone roughly the same as yourself and thats where the banter starts...As a total novice though I didnt understand this at the time and found myself sitting beside the legendary Frank Knightly in the Baja...lol....the pics show the total anialation...lol.....i have learned.......Top Class day...

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
its nearly impossible to get good pairs matched for racing unless there all stock 1600's . if every car was weighed and dyno'ed then it would be easier to pair up.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
its nearly impossible to get good pairs matched for racing unless there all stock 1600's . if every car was weighed and dyno'ed then it would be easier to pair up.

but after the first or second run the pairs seem to find themselves.

On paper, a front engine, front drive diesel mk1 Golf, a front engine rear drive Porsche 924, rear engine rear drive Porsche 356 and 1776 (?) oval wouldn't be obvious bedfellows in terms of performance but on the day, there was little or nothing between the four.

Last edited: