Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1965 VW Bus.

vdubber

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
June 5, 2007
Cork
There's a guy from Portugal interested in my bus. He seems genuine enough. He wants to decide a price etc before he comes over to collect it. He says he wants to know the year of first registration and maybe the V.I.N for his insurance.

Should I be worried, or is this standard?

69bug

Bugless
Club Member
Put yourself in his shoes. If you went to the UK to buy a car, you'd want the reg number etc if you were to drive it back ! We did it when we bought the oval.

As Ross says, cash on collection. If he's travelling over from Portugal, he must be somewhat interested.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
does he sound like this fella?

5680_fonejacker.jpg

vdubber

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
June 5, 2007
Cork
jesus. he's on about the 10,000 euro limit travelling through europe. he really does sound genuine on the phone, but wants my IBAN number to transfer some money into my account and then to give me the balance when he gets here. I assume that's bad isn't it? I said I'd have a think about it.

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Sounds legit to me. If the deposit clears (ask your bank) and he lodges the balance when he gets here there shouldn't be a problem. You can be too cautious, and lose the sale. I know when I bought my westy I had to go a long way to show I wasn't a scammer, but there is a limit.

philk

Club Member
Club Member
October 22, 2008
Wexford
www.goldmedalsafetypadding.co.uk
If you give him a set of bank details i wouldn't have thought he could withdraw from your account or screw you over. A quick call to your bank would tell you ___ like Justin said
If a % of the value lands in your bank then youre laughing....if he dont turn up then you'll piss your self (well i would).
If he offers a value to be transfered to you just be clear that it aint refundable if you can

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
jesus. he's on about the 10,000 euro limit travelling through europe. he really does sound genuine on the phone, but wants my IBAN number to transfer some money into my account and then to give me the balance when he gets here. I assume that's bad isn't it? I said I'd have a think about it.

Have a chat with your bank - should be fine as its standard to get an IBAN and even address details for a transfer.

If you're really worried, then ask the bank if you can cap the amount & frequency of withdrawal transactions temporarily - normally there shouldn't be anything bigger than your mortgage leaving your account in one go.

If it was me, I'd be very reluctant to transfer money into an unknown seller's account before I'd seen what I was buying so maybe its a good sign. But again, talk to your bank and see if the transfer in would need to be cleared and if so, how long it would it take. You don't want him turning up on your doorstep unexpectedly just after the transfer with 3 or 4 grand cash because he 'got a cheap flight at the last minute' so that he's off with your bus before the electronic transfer clears.

69bug

Bugless
Club Member
The IBAN number is required to transfer money in Europe, it's a series of numbers and letter than uniquely identifies your account. Using this prevents delays when he sends money to you. The SWIFT address/Bank Identifier Code (BIC) should also be used by him on his payment instruction again to ensure that the payment reaches you in most effective and cost efficient way.

When I bought my Split I went down this route of IBAN and BIC to send money to the owner.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Why not open a seperate account if you don't want to give him your regular account details? Anytime I've bought from the US or UK I had to lodge money into the sellers account and wait for it to clear before I could take the car. Once I gave Val the price of the car in Sterling cash and he paid the seller when he went to collect the car in the UK. I know one guy who had the buyer send cash into an account and wait for it to clear then he asked him to collect the car on a week day so he could lodge the cash in the bank there and then - that meant the bank could also check that the notes were the real deal. Other people have gotten photocopies of passports but at the end of the day it's your Bus if he really wants to buy it he'll work with you.

Madaboutbugs

Club Member
Club Member
January 20, 2009
Kildare/Kilkenny
Iban is made up of your sort code and bank account number the ie in it is obviously Ireland it's standard for cross border electronic funds transfer. There's no way anyone can empty your account with your account details it's save as houses. Just don't give personal details, credit card numbers etc. He will need your branch address. One point to note is once off large. Transactions especially cross border are flagged for money laundering purposes you could get a call from your bank, the flag amount is 15 k and over for domestic tranactions less for cross border. Another point to note is that cross border payments cost make sure he takes the charge on his side! Cross border payments will generally clear t+1 that's the day after he makes the transfer the bank can be asked to confirm the receipt. Once it's in your account there is no way for him to get it back without your consent. Safe as houses don't worrie good look with the sale!! Smashing van