Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Car] Wanted: CHEAP!! Mk2 diesel golf

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
I want to get a Mk2 Golf diesel for the work run every day. I am hoping to spend less than a grand on something running thats not falling apart. Anyone know of anything, preferably in/around Leinster?

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
try to find a pre '85 one, for the cheap tax and the nice early features like the quarterlights in the front doors, mirrors halfway back along the doors, small bumpers etc

Would you consider a Jetta? Don't have one, just asking.

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
No, it has to be diesel, not only for the cheap tax but for the fuel economy and reliability as well. It will be my daily. I am not too worried about what it looks like so long as it's not an absolute heap, so a 1985 model would be wasted on me. Otherwise I'd be looking for a Mk1 GTI.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I am not too worried about what it looks like so long as it's not an absolute heap, so a 1985 model would be wasted on me. Otherwise I'd be looking for a Mk1 GTI.

I was suggesting 1985 for the cheap rolling 30 year tax. The early features are just a bonus.

You didn't say whether you'd consider a Jetta or not. Or a diesel B2 Passat for that matter. Or a diesel Lada for that matter...

Last edited:

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Would you not pick up a MK4 Golf Ross?

You should might even get a TDI for small enough money. Great on fuel.

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
I have my heart set on a Mk2 golf to be honest. Apart from anything else I like the shape. My first car was a Mk2. What I meant about the tax thing too is that later golfs were all 1.9, whereas the Mk2 was a 1.6. If I could get a 1985 diesel golf I would go for it if it was in reasonable nick. I might at a push consider a Jetta. What's it like?

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
0619914-Volkswagen-Jetta-CL-Turbo-Diesel-1984.jpg

Golf_Jubile_AVG_88.jpg

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
I have my heart set on a Mk2 golf to be honest. Apart from anything else I like the shape. My first car was a Mk2. What I meant about the tax thing too is that later golfs were all 1.9, whereas the Mk2 was a 1.6. If I could get a 1985 diesel golf I would go for it if it was in reasonable nick. I might at a push consider a Jetta. What's it like?

What you spend in tax you'll save on the diesel, 1.6 very sluggish...plus you'll still have an nct every year!

gary1998

Club Member
Club Member
April 21, 2010
dublin
i agree with trev look for a b3 estate much more practical all rounder
and with a half decent coilover kit will handle as good as the golf not that you'll be doing track days
or any fast and furious stuff

Last edited: