Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

VAGE Show 'n' Shine - Fermoy 2014 Official Show Thread

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Coxy, make sure not to wear your patent leather slip-ons tomorrow, remember, the red ones you wore for your confirmation?

Wear a stout pair of boots with good strong laces. You'll need the laces to repair your throttle cable when it breaks ;)

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I hope to fuck my beetle doesn't let me down. It hasn't been on the road in 5 years (from memory) and there's only a handful of miles on the engine since I put it back together.

IMG_20140810_105824_zpsa279bfc0.jpg

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
sadly no :(

I didn't even get out of the county. I was about 20 miles from home along the motorway when I felt a slight hesitation, like a miss. Very intermittent but then going up the next hill there was no power there, foot to the floor, decelerating. Not good. Thankfully the next exit (Abbeyleix/Ballacolla) was only half a mile ahead so I got off the motorway, switched off and went round the back to be greeted by plumes of smoke. With my heart in my mouth I opened the lid. Praying it wasn't a fuel fire. Thankfully the it was just oil burning off the engine. Lots of oil. Once the engine had cooled down it was lights out, seized
icon_sad.gif

I don't know where the oil was coming from yet but there was good pressure reading on the gauge and the idiot light hadn't come on. So I don't know exactly how it's seized.

Anyway, I have the afternoon free now so I'm going to pull the engine and see what went wrong...

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Didnt mean to thank for the above post Trev.Slight hesitation and deceleration on slight incline sounds so familiar unfortunately.:(

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
I was totally lazy yesterday and didn't take any photos but thankfully my partner in crime was snap happy all day so he'll fling some pics up here and the rest on Carbs & Chrome later on.

Great show with a nice turnout of aircooled VWs.......who walked away with a nice stash of prizes too (y)

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
who walked away with a nice stash of prizes too (y)

so who won what? I presume Ruby got best in show, it should have anyway. I saw that Happy Campers got 1st and 2nd for best van, and deservedly so. Any more prizes won in this parish?