Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Trip to Germany

Trip to Germany

• Total voters

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
normal.jpg

The last club trip to Germany (Wolfsburg) was a huge success.

I would like to organise another one if I may be allowed.

Place I suggest is http://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/porschemuseum/

normal.jpg

Time I suggest is about 12 months from now to allow people save etc.

We could also do Wolfsburg (VW museums * 3) again if people fancied it.

If we do it you would be looking about around €600 per person and 2 days off work. Probably try and get deposits in by the end of Jan and then maybe take payments months or something?

The ethos in Eircooled is if you don't like it do it yourself and do it better, but that is a bit of a cop out for a trip like this so if I organise it I will be doing it to the best of my abilities and will be promising good value for money, well researched hotels, and a decent itinerary. Eircooled can hold the money and pay the travel agent or whoever directly.

If there is any interest I'll start getting times, costs, and details together.

normal.jpg

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
Just to be clear - when I say two days off work I mean a Friday and a Tuesday - we would probably go for a B/H weekend - 5 days (4 nights) in total.

paddymac

Club Member
Club Member
January 13, 2009
Cork
In 5 days, hmm done mizen to malin now a return to Wolfsburg, sounds like fun in a beetle. I'll never make it. :eek:hhwell: Enjoy

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
If you have the time and you're travelling between Stuttgart and Wolfsburg then I strongly recommend that you take in the Sinsheim Technology Museum:

http://www.technik-museum.de/museum_sinsheim_english.html

There's a world of stuff to see there including a Concorde and the Tupolev equivalent (you can go into both) and a serious range of cars. There's a big wartime military display if you're into that too. Its a fascinating place with something for everyone.

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
It is 3000km return and all motorway. I drove 2200km to the South of France a few months ago and it was 13 hours each way and boring as feck and I was doing 85mph all the way. Cost about €400 in diesel and tolls. Do that in an aircooled and you are looking at €1000 in petrol and about 18 hours each way. Sounds like hell to me. I proposed a roadtrip to the artic circle before and no-one was interested. It tis about the same distance but at least it would be interesting and you might see something other than Texaco stations and McDonalds. However we could organise to meet-up in Stuttgart - some could fly and some could drive - wouldn't make any odds.

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
My question also! If so I'll be looking for a LWB T-4 to convert.

You mean bring one home? Might be tempted to do that myself. Maybe we should fly over but book no return flights and bring 3k each. It would be like a Top Gear challenge - who can get the best VW back from Germany for 3k!

RattyOval

AKA Deckie
Admin
November 21, 2006
Ballytoooooole .............
I proposed a roadtrip to the artic circle before and no-one was interested. It tis about the same distance but at least it would be interesting and you might see something other than Texaco stations and McDonalds. However we could organise to meet-up in Stuttgart - some could fly and some could drive - wouldn't make any odds.

I was on for that trip

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
It is about the same distance to Sweden as it is to the artic circle from the entry point in Sweden - if you know what I mean. Let me rephrase - when you get to Sweden you are only half way there!

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
10 people interested so far - would make it worthwhile. Any less than that would be too cozy for me!