Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Stanford Hall - Sunday 4th of May 2014

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Anybody going to this?

stanford%20hall.jpg

One of the best Vdub shows I've been at last year, http://www.stanfordhallvw.com/

Fly: Best to fly into Birmingham airport, about 30 minutes on the train from the airport and a ten minute trip in a taxi £12, or a 40 minute drive if you hire a car.

Drive:
Holyhead is the closest port, 3 hours to the show from there - Stenaline working out the best on price at the moment.

IMG_0254_zps355f17cf.jpg
IMG_0505_zps31b9bb0a.jpg

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Wish I could have made this, spotted a few pictures of today on Facebook.

10294454_581134435319206_5282369170341304146_n.jpg

Nice isn't it? familiar looking '65 bug behind it too.....

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
I headed off at 5am from Tipp and headed for the ferry. Weather was great and the car was running perfectly. Beag had even fitted a ciggy lighter hidden under the seat for charging satnavs, phones etc. Cheers Beag (y)

You can't really see from this pic just how much smoke there was but as I drove up to the sign, which at one point was covered in smoke, it said 'smoke SLOW DOWN' ......no shit Sherlock :D

When I looked over and saw the single decker bus on fire I remembered that I forgot to bring the new fire extinguisher I bought from Jon White a few weeks earlier :mad:

The weather couldn't have been any better and all the traffic jams seemed to be on the other side of the road (y) 300+miles later I got to the hotel and parked Landfill beside some early Cabriolets, Split Buses etc ..........just your normal car park companions!!!!!

After checking in I headed off to find a power wash to blast the thousands of dead flies off the front. A vintage Cobra club roared past which looked and sounded great in the sun and then every few mins a Splittie or an Oval or even a Split Beetle would pass by. Surreal to see all this going on in the streets.........then some fella from Cork and his English mate drove past roaring abuse out the window of their car. Thankfully they redeemed themselves by helping to clean the car. Cheers Wayne & Martin ;)

Unfortunately the cleaning didn't go very well at all as we went for food & beers and that was that for Saturday!

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
On Sunday I got up not as early as I should have and made an effort to polish Landfill, knowing that people were already at Stanford Hall polishing and detailing for the last few hours. In between talking to other owners and generally enjoying the early morning sun.......and the hotel brekkie, I did manage to clean it. In through the Secret Garden Gate and onto the grass. Every aspect of this show makes it feel someway special.........we better get our shit together for Jumpstart 2015 :eek:

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie

This immaculate 1967 Beetle was the car that came first in the 57-67 class and is just flawless and period perfect in every way. Landfill came 5th, losing points for having Shultz on the pan, tyres not cleaned in the treads :)confused: ) and although I had cleaned the interior mats I hadn't gone into the level of detail I should have (hoovered at least!) and they let me know that if I had (bothered my arse basically :D) less points would have been deducted! The judge was a really nice guy and it was the first time I had gone into a concours line-up to have a car judged so it was interesting to see what he looked for and what he asked....................I'm sure he wanted to ask where my cleaning bitches from Volksworld were :p

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
The owner of the Cabrio has owned it from new. The story goes that they looked at buying an '03 Karmann but demand outweighed supply and they were told they would have to go on the list and wait. They forgot about it and presumed they wouldn't get a new Cabrio so they went and bought another car in another garage, only to get a call from the VW dealer a few days later to say THEIR Beetle had arrived in! They nearly shit themselves but luckily a family member needed a new car at the same time and took their other one and they got their Cabriolet which they still own today.

Cal Look fans might recognise this one as it was owned by a guy called Zach in the US. It's an all OG EMPI GTV so is very rare. It wears (mostly) OG paint. Zach wasn't going to sell it until he got t-boned at a junction and couldn't face restoring it. A bodyshop in the UK bought it and did a sympathetic restoration, keeping much of the OG paint and stripes.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie

This was one of the VWs from the hotel car park. Owned by twins from up north, they won their class this year after always coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th for the last number of years.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie

I met this Oval on the M6 and followed him for a while which was no bad thing as the paint and chrome just glistened in the sun. Looking at it driving along and moving between lanes, there is no way drivers in modern cars, with a multitude of brake lights, traveling at speed could see or even understand what was sticking out of his car when he went to indicate!

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Remember Campervan Crisis? Well, this is Dypsy, the Split Bus that featured in it.

It's pretty rusty now and one of the side windows is about to fall out due to the holes around the frames. There are loads of rather large filler cracks and rust coming through which is a real shame as they worked their arse off to get it done on time and within their budget.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
And that was it for Stanford Hall 2014, time to load up the car and hit the minty highway back to Ireland. I really enjoyed it, it was on my 'to-do' list of shows for many years and since going a few years ago it has been my favourite show. There is a campsite beside the grounds now and was full so anyone thinking of going should book now.

So from the sunny grounds of Stanford Hall to
this last night on the M7 :mad:

I knew I was home :D

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
I even saved all the petrol receipts and recorded the mileage so Trev can go wild on the MPG figures as he does so well :D

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
One of the cool things about Stanford Hall is the history people have with their cars. Like the guy I mentioned earlier that bought the Karmann Cabriolet new, Clive Dixon bought this GT Beetle 38yrs ago and has maintained it ever since. He has a 1303 in Cliff Green AFAIK that he brings to the show every other year. He still has the original GT Beetle badge on the back shelf.