Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

So........ I was wondering......

Spink

Club Member
Club Member
September 19, 2010
Lisburn
IVe read the same, that a bug has a higher drag coefficient than a bus. Ghia is the best.

Robbed off the samba:

COEFFICIENT of DRAG
For Volkswagens

U.S. Beetle…………..0.48 (0.46 per Wikpedia.org)

Super Beetle…………0.47

Ghia………………….0.40 (unconfirmed) Type 141 top speed is basically 8 miles per
higher compared to Beetle with the same motor!

Pre 67 Bus…………...0.43 (0.42 per Wikpedia.org)

Type 3……………….0.48

Type 3 w/wing………0.34

Vanagon…………….0.44

New Beetle………….0.44 (0.38 per Wikpedia.org)

Rabbit……………….0.42

Scirocco……………..0.39

Porsche 924…………0.31

Porsche 356(1951)…..0.28

ARVW………………0.15 (1980’s Diesel VW Streamliner)

Tatra…………………0.37

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
I've just gone over this on a Bonneville thread. CD is not the only thing to think of, frontal area is more important at the speeds that we are driving. Too lazy to explain further.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
I'd say, no, because youre creating more turbulence as the air tries to move into the cavity left by the window, rather than the single wave of eddies over the top of the roof you now have 3 sets, above, below an over the dash. The 2 sets of eddies going inside will fight againt each other, creating more turbulence ,increasing the pressure (an drag) inside the cab. That's before you add in the restrictions like your head, seats, lower tailgate, window edges/pillars etc.

plus if it worked, everyone would be doing it.

Brian Raftery

Administrator
Admin
October 25, 2006
Kiltimagh Co. Mayo
The 2 sets of eddies going inside will fight againt each other, creating more turbulence ,increasing the pressure (an drag) inside the cab. That's before you add in the restrictions like your head, seats, lower tailgate, window edges/pillars etc.

plus if it worked, everyone would be doing it.

Who's Eddie?
Imagine having two eddies in the back of the van! the weight of them would defeat the purpose of taking out the windows!!
Mr-Ed-cropped-250-enhanced.jpg mr-ed.jpg

Last edited:

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
Laminar flow is what's needed to reduce drag. You'll only increase drag caused by reduced laminar flow because of the shape of the cars interior. If on the other hand you had an interior that was shaped to increase velocity and reduce pressure (a divergent duct) then yeah you'd gain, but otherwise no. Read about venturis. Smooth everything out on the outside of your vehicle to reduce parasitic drag and let the shape of the vehicle do the rest. Believe it or not it's an entire field of study in itself and I've only scratched the surface (excuse the pun) in my own studies in aircraft maintenance! :D

darren

Club Member
Club Member
January 21, 2007
Kildare
images

Simple...