Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

So........ I was wondering......

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
go back to bed pat!!

Ever see a wind sock? Wide at the front, narrow at the rear, designed to catch the wind? Same rule apply...

220px-Anemoscopi.JPG

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
back to the wind sock. It works by catching the air in a big gulp at the front and stopping it from having such an easy exit at the back, thereby SLOWING the wind down by creating drag. I think you'd just be creating a big bloody sail for yourself pat.

also, you'd have all that lovely turbulence and drag inside the van as the wind passes over your interior and tries to pile out the rear screen. Ever see the open topped cars that go on speed trials?

TurlockSwapmeetJanuary2013_09.JPG

tell ya what, next drag day, you run a flat out pass then come back and kick out your front and rear screens and run again. Let us know how you get on :ROFLMAO:

broz

Club Member
Club Member
June 8, 2011
glanmire
I read that the beetle has more drag than the split screen bus, strange considering its straighter front

Lazy Dog

Club Member
Club Member
October 14, 2008
Maghermore, Wicklow.
www.lazydays.ie
Yeah, but my bus isn't a sock.

Surely a big hole at the front and a big hole at the rear (as in no tailgate) should let air pass through, no? No interior, just the driver who, potentially could 'streamline' himself over the steering wheel.......:D

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Wouldn't that just create more turbulence?

Old beetle has a drag coefficient of 0.38, same as an MX5. 50 years of progress, eh?

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
I had the Ghia at the strip last year with no windscreen or rear window so I feel well qualified to offer an opinion...

...yes, the car felt less draggy on the trailer and when I pushed it around the carpark...

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Ok so you've removed your front and rear screens, Fitted a tonneau cover to the inside of the car or van to sweep the air straight through.But would the airflow over the roof and the airflow through the vehicle clash at the rear screen, giving you positive lift at the front therefore making the front of the car light and unstable at speed??

Btw, I have no idea what I'm talking about . It's the wine thats making me type.;)

Last edited: