Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

MLVW show

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
Wouldn't be a bad idea to make a separate post or sticky about this event seeming that it's so near. But hats off to mossy for getting this off the ground. I know that there are costs involved for any show involving the public, but if it starts a good show off that will grow I am up for it. And I do hope that it's a air-cooled highlight.
Point us to the high light, I cant find it. Thanks.

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
Just passed by the venue. I see no vehicle at all, nor any VW classics. Unless they are inside the sheds. No flags signs or any indication that a show is on at all. Weather is pissing down here all day, and plenty of floods on the roads. So I am not sure whether its going ahead or not at the moment.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Just passed by the venue. I see no vehicle at all, nor any VW classics. Unless they are inside the sheds. No flags signs or any indication that a show is on at all. Weather is pissing down here all day, and plenty of floods on the roads. So I am not sure whether its going ahead or not at the moment.
The reports on Facebook are that it's going ahead.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
I see about 12-15 campers at the venue when I was passing, fair play considering the weather. Does eircooled have a stand at it ?
Unfortunately I cant go due to family celebrations for my son who has been nominated for an emmy for his prostethics work on The Last Of US" tv series.

Cant very well sneak off.....yet.;)

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
Got down there after. Its an impressive venue, with great access and great facilities, and everything laid on. It was impressive to say this was organized by Mossy on his own. Hats off mate. A few nice beetles and T2's in attendance. I must say I was shocked at the size of the arena. Best place for any classic car show I would say in the whole of Ireland. Magic.

Last edited:

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Better what next year??
You wont get a better venue than there. So what better are you hoping for ? Weather, yeah hopefully. Anything else?
I wasn't going to say but since you asked...

Better entry price on the gate for day-only exhibitors. It was €30 to get in and display a car. I think that's the most I've EVER paid for entry to a car show.

Better reward/memento of the day for exhibitors. Most shows etc will give you a sticker, dash plaque, memento for your entry fee. I didn't get anything at the gate other than admission through it.

Better mood-setting on the day. Most shows will have some kind of soundtrack, maybe a DJ, maybe just some music piped over the tannoy.

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
Well it was a first time shot at a decent show, so maybe if he had got support from the club as well, that may have been a boost. Its very easy to knock it now, instead of supporting it at the outset.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Well it was a first time shot at a decent show, so maybe if he had got support from the club as well, that may have been a boost. Its very easy to knock it now, instead of supporting it at the outset.

I'm not knocking it. I can make constructive criticism (that you literally asked for) without knocking it. Did I say anything derogatory about the day?

I did support it, I was there on Saturday. Despite the unfortunate weather, I made the trip in the Beetle. I paid my money on the gate, I bought food from the food vendor, I bought coffee from the coffee shop, I bought parts from two of the traders present on the day. Is that not supporting the event at the outset?

I agree it was a first time shot, it was a brave move. It deserved to be supported so I did.

BTW, the club is its members. There's nothing to stop anyone in the club, including yourself, from organising a convoy or building a bit of hype around any event, if they so wish. The mic is open, as it were.

Reactions: darren and Tim

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
I think its fair to say that individual support and club support are two different things. If there was an eircooled stand or banner provided at the outset, then maybe it would have encouraged more club members to go. And even If I had been able to organise a convoy as you say, I wouldn't know who here to contact as the entertainments/show organizer to get the maximum effect from such a post. And when the bickering over posting "eircooled sponsorship" or the lack of it, that didn't do the show any use really.

I see other shows getting plugged here, and would have thought the kilbeggan show might have got a mention earlier. I mentioned it early as you know more than 12 months ago.

As for individual attendance , I broke up family celebrations for my son who has just been nominated for an Emmy award for The Last Of Us, to go to the show on Sunday to support Mossy, I also had coffee and a burger. I nearly forgot, I offered spare parts and new parts I had for someone that was in trouble, and made inquiries for a replacement engine for someone who broke down. Does that make me a saint as well. No it doesnt its what vw owners do.

I'm not knocking anyone that went, but I think the club should have given it more support. Who chooses which shows to support, and not too.

biddlebop

Club Member
Club Member
November 8, 2010
westmeath
I really thought about this and the event was a Volkswagen event and I am in a Volkswagen club. And I naievly thought that as a member of a Volkswagen club would expect a Volkswagen event to promoted endorsed and supported instead of the let's sit back eat the popcorn and watch the man burn attitude. The lad who organised this is definitely getting a burning financial and otherwise. Zero help and even hinderance. This could have been a great weekend if the proper support it would have made a difference. Why can't this club and other clubs come together and showcase our hobby and interests. It's too small a country for stand alone VW shows. United we stand and let's work on events like this together.i know that the entry was high I had to pay for 2 entries and helped out as much as I can. I hope that this club can move forward and meet up with the other clubs and let's organze a good all Ireland show, wherever the location.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Who chooses which shows to support, and not too

Nobody, and yet, everybody.

If you or anyone wanted to promote Mossey's or any other show, start a thread, post the details. If you're not sure who to go to for help, ask publicly and you'll find out.

Nobody is a saint or a sinner here. It's a hobby. To be enjoyed at your leisure. Or not.

Look, it has to be said, a blind man could see that the show was over ambitious especially for its first year. Things like this either need MASSIVE promotion to be a hit in their first year or they need to start small and build up over years. To try to do the divil and all in the first year was very optimistic and I mentioned this to mossey 12 months ago on the phone. I also offered to help any way I could with promotion etc, to try to get Eircooled behind it but it never came to anything. You couldn't have known that.

Basically, there's more going on here than plays out on public platforms.

Reactions: wackerwacker

andrew

Club Member
Club Member
April 11, 2013
kildare
What the fuck###?
There are shows on ever weekend you can only go to one a day and the weather last weekend canceled lost of them (forever young )and lots of organisers were burned 🔥 my two cents...

Reactions: trev

biddlebop

Club Member
Club Member
November 8, 2010
westmeath
Nobody, and yet, everybody.

If you or anyone wanted to promote Mossey's or any other show, start a thread, post the details. If you're not sure who to go to for help, ask publicly and you'll find out.

Nobody is a saint or a sinner here. It's a hobby. To be enjoyed at your leisure. Or not.

Look, it has to be said, a blind man could see that the show was over ambitious especially for its first year. Things like this either need MASSIVE promotion to be a hit in their first year or they need to start small and build up over years. To try to do the divil and all in the first year was very optimistic and I mentioned this to mossey 12 months ago on the phone. I also offered to help any way I could with promotion etc, to try to get Eircooled behind it but it never came to anything. You couldn't have known that.

Basically, there's more going on here than plays out on public platforms.
I did ask on the 30/6/23 for a separate sticky to be made about this upcoming event?