Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Looking for a spacer

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
Does anyone have a single spacer for sale?

It's a 10mm spacer and diameter of the central hole is 80mm and the outer diameter is just over 150mm.

I don't need a 10mm, 6mm would do or anywhere in between. I'd take two of them if they were thinner and replace the other side too.

If no one has any, where's the best place to get them?

Cheers in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF6557.JPG
    DSCF6557.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 76

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
For what car? I have a pair of 6mm Halfords spacers here but they won't fit a beetle wheel, they only go up to 120 odd PCD.

I also have a pair of 5-stud only that go up to 5x130.

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
What's the internal diameter of those 6mm ones Justin?

It's for a 1300 '73. Has disk brakes fitted, not sure if that affects the diameter...

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
78mm. But it's the outer diameter you'll get caught on, these are only 145mm.

Have a look at the caliper and see if you can tickle it with a grinder to fit.

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Maybe.. the caliper will just clip the wheel at one point, depending on where that is you might be able to grind it back.

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
I have 3mm spacers here that you can have free if you want to try? I had the same problem because of a disk caliper. Bought them in Halfords and widened the holes to fit. There was a slight rub against the caliper so I ordered 6mm from vw heritage instead. Might be worth a try on yours.

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
I have 3mm spacers here that you can have free if you want to try? I had the same problem because of a disk caliper. Bought them in Halfords and widened the holes to fit. There was a slight rub against the caliper so I ordered 6mm from vw heritage instead. Might be worth a try on yours.

You've been PM'd

RattyOval

AKA Deckie
Admin
November 21, 2006
Ballytoooooole .............
I had the same problem
Mine were only just rubbing i didn't know there was a problem till i heard a little tick tick when the wheen was spining

I had some Galvinised washers 30 - 40mm in diameter
Poped them in and they spaced them out about 2mm perfect
went and bought a handfull in the local builders providers for about 2 euro
Job done

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
I did consider doing the same, I only need 4mm to get my caps on but something told me it would be a bad idea, not sure why.

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
I can't see any reason why it would be any less safe than spacers, it is after all just putting a bit of metal between the wheel and the hub. Anyway, I have some spacers on the way, thanks to Rez... hopefully they'll fit.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
jeez, I'd be inclined to stick with spacers over washers. The wheels have a large mounting face for a reason, and the spacers are sufficiently large for the same reason: to evenly distribute forces from the wheel to the hub and to evenly distribute the forces of tightening the nuts over the wheel and the hub.

If it was the "done thing" you can be sure you could buy washers in the aftermarket and they'd all be doing it.

I realise you might have proven to yourself that the washers work but for peace of mind I'd pay out the tenner or whatever the spacers cost.