Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Ireland adventure 2015

tonyvw

Club Member
Club Member
June 2, 2009
cork city
hi mr coxy
what about an artical and pictures for the irish vintage of the dutch club trip around ireland
as only you can do

Mart

January 22, 2015
Holland
A few pictures from our trip, once again thanks everyone for the suport
You are also welcome in Holland
IMG_0123.JPGIMG_0132.JPGIMG_0211.JPGIMG_8723.JPGIMG_8765.JPGIMG_8801.JPGIMG_8825.JPGIMG_8862.JPGIMG_9051.JPGIMG_9119.JPGIMG_9365.JPGIMG_9631.JPGIMG_9710.JPGIMG_9717.JPG

Mart

rascal1

Club Member
Club Member
January 12, 2007
Marino, Dublin
As it happens I will be passing through Holland on my way to Copenhagen next week.
We will be camping in Vakantiepark Koningshof on Sunday 23th August and in Watersportcamping, Cnossen, Leekstermeer on Monday 24th.We will be in a Blue and white Late bay Westfalia with front hinged roof.
Give us a wave if you see us.
We met you all in Killarney...
Liam

Mart

January 22, 2015
Holland
Koningshof in Rijnsburg? I live near there,
Too bad I'm not home, I have a bachelor party for a friend he gets married.
When you get to Cnossen Leekstermeer drive, take A1 motorway and I come on the A2 motorway. But you never know. Have a good trip and lots of fun
also on facebook put https://www.facebook.com/groups/791655050845081/

Please note that it is very busy around Amsterdam. It's Sail Amsterdam until August 23

Mart

As it happens I will be passing through Holland on my way to Copenhagen next week.
We will be camping in Vakantiepark Koningshof on Sunday 23th August and in Watersportcamping, Cnossen, Leekstermeer on Monday 24th.We will be in a Blue and white Late bay Westfalia with front hinged roof.
Give us a wave if you see us.
We met you all in Killarney...
Liam

Last edited:

rascal1

Club Member
Club Member
January 12, 2007
Marino, Dublin
Met Jan Wessel, a friend of Mart, when he called to the campsite at Cnossen Leekstermeer. I do not remember his friends name. They were driving a 67 splitty. It was very clean.. They brought Dutch cake so they were very welcome. You know how I feel about cake..

rascal1

Club Member
Club Member
January 12, 2007
Marino, Dublin
Today the van said I am not going any further until you show me some love.We had just gotten of the ferry from Germany to Denmark and were rolling along a stretch of dual carriage with no hard shoulder.Travelling at about just over 100k/hr we coasted to a halt just as we came to a breakdown layby,about 40mtrs long. Last week we were driving at night when we got off the tunnel in Calais.On that occasion Fuse 9 had melted the plastic part of the fuse and no longer made contact.It had not blown just melted. A quick look and sure enough instead of a fuse we had a blob of plastic. Promptly replaced it and away we went.
Parked up in Campsite and cleaned the connections to the Fuse and everything looked fine.Ran the engine with headlights on and in about 10 mins it was melting again. Measured current with metre.With engine running, everything the same it is pulling about 12 amps.
Put back in fuse and it starts to get hot.The 16 amp fuse cannot carry 12A without getting hot.
Then the Danish guy on the other side of the hedge complained that I was too noisy and to stop the engine. This of course took much gesticulating with hands over ears and a sad face.
Not wanting to upset the locals I complied,disconnected the coil and turned on everything again.The fuse melted.. So I fitted a 25A fuse and everything appears to be fine.Tomorrow will tell. I guess I will be abandoning the motorways for a while until I am sure everything is good.
Having to use dipped lights for driving is the issue. Would never have known only for that. Well until I was driving in dark sometime..
Camped in a small town called Sakskobing somewhere south of Copenhagen... 1100 miles down only1500 left.. And only 5 fuses left..

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
I remember I had a similar problem with a beetle I had years ago. If I ran with the headlights on full beam for more than 5 mins the car would fil with the pungent smell of melting plastic, and within two minutes the car would come to a halt , total loss of power. Replace fuse and off I'd go again:)At the time I used to drive from Bagenalstown to Kenmare and back almost every weekend as I was working in Kenmare.It was a race against mother nature to get back to Kenmare on a Sunday before it got dark.:ROFLMAO:
Never got to the bottom of it though Liam, as I crashed it outside kilgarvan one slippy evening, so that ended that.
Whem you get to the bottom of it will you let us know . I'd like to know the fault.

duts

Club Member
Club Member
January 31, 2010
Laois
I remember I had a similar problem with a beetle I had years ago. If I ran with the headlights on full beam for more than 5 mins the car would fil with the pungent smell of melting plastic, and within two minutes the car would come to a halt , total loss of power. Replace fuse and off I'd go again:)At the time I used to drive from Bagenalstown to Kenmare and back almost every weekend as I was working in Kenmare.It was a race against mother nature to get back to Kenmare on a Sunday before it got dark.:ROFLMAO:
Never got to the bottom of it though Liam, as I crashed it outside kilgarvan one slippy evening, so that ended that.
Whem you get to the bottom of it will you let us know . I'd like to know the fault.
I dont know what the problem is either Liam, i just dont have a big long story to tell ya to build up your hopes of an answer like Johnny!

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
unusual that it would melt the plastic before blowing the fuse. Do you have mega wattage headlamp bulbs? Would setting up a couple of relays to run the headlamps via their own circuit be too much of a "trying to communicate your wishes to a sales assistant in a motor factors in a foreign country" debacle?

rascal1

Club Member
Club Member
January 12, 2007
Marino, Dublin
The fuses were originally ceramic and could handle the heat. I have found an old 16 amp which has a ceramic body.. The 25 amp gave up the ghost today.. We were just coming to the centre of Copenhagen and pulled over to get water from the fridge. Val said there's a funny smell and the engine just stopped. Stuck in new fuse and drove on no problem.. If the ceramic one fails I have some blade style fuses which I can pull the wires of the back of fuse box and connect directly..
We crossed the Oresund bridge into Malmo Sweden today.. What a bridge..

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
some bridge alright!
20130720-cruise-4924.jpg