Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

HOTVWs feature car- 1956 Oval Rag

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Advertising on behalf of Greg. Please email him @ greg@tunedperfection.com
Car is in Canada. (but if I win the Lotto it will be inLimerick :lol: )
Cheers, Coxy.

This car was featured in the January 2007 issue of HotVWs magazine. It is located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I built it to be my ultimate bug, after seeing Randy Gates' beetle at the classic, and other feature cars in the magazines. I am personal friends with Pat Downs of CB Performance and he built me the motor. It took a year while I waited for the fuel injection prototype system to be ready. The car is getting fitted with a Peloquin LSD this winter (over Christmas) as well as the new fuel injection system from CB (a few new hardware items, and new software). Other than that, the car is ready to go. Drives great on the street at 12 pounds of boost, and has run an 11.94 at the track in the 1/4 at 16 pounds of boost. Here is my official description of the car:
This car was built by me as my dream car. No expense has been spared in it?s creation- if I wanted it I bought it. I am only selling it because I have accomplished all that I wanted to with it. It has been featured in Hot VWs magazine (January 2007 pages 78 through 81), it has run in the 12?s, and can be driven anywhere on the street. I have a new project to focus on, a 1959 Beetle convertible, and so I am choosing to sell my ?56 to finance the ?59. Here are the details:

Overall:
1956 Beetle body on a 1966 pan. Body is an original sunroof model- the roof was not grafted in. It sits on a 1966 pan due to the ball joint front suspension that has superior handling as compared to a king and link pin, and is easier to work on. Plus this is the pan that came with the car when I bought it. Car is therefore licensed as a 1966 and has the ownership reflecting such.
Everything on this car is new. Read on for specific details about each component.

Body:
The main body, hood, and decklid were all acid dipped to remove all paint, filler, and rust. New pieces welded in include the rear bumper mounts, body mounts, lower quarter panels, driver?s side front door post, and rear heater channel section on the passenger side. New windshield, original Sekurit glass in all other windows. Pop-out windows were installed with new glass to frame rubber and new frame to body seals. New rubber around all other windows with new stainless molding. All of this came from Wolfsburg West. New stainless side and hood molding as well. New hood handle with new locking decklid handle. NOS passenger door handle, and original drivers door handle keyed to match the ignition. Aluminum running boards. All 4 fenders are aftermarket and the fronts have had the bullet turnsignals welded in. I measured off a friends original front fenders and assure you they are in the correct spot. Conduit is in place for the headlight wires and was bought from Wolfsburg West when it was available. Rear fenders had all holes migged closed and I drilled new holes so the taillights would be in the correct position as measured from an original oval. Doors line up really well when shut and the gap is uniform. Vent window frames were rechromed. Sunroof has all new rollers from Wolfsburg West and original Golde handle which has not yet been rechromed. NOS wipers where the arms and blades are one piece. Hood is a newer hood with the 4 tab section grafted in. It is stronger than an original 4 tab hood and does not twist when the hood it propped open on just the drivers side. Flames are painted under the front hood. Underside of the hood handle and the hood latch have all been chromed. Aftermarket apron with the H section grafted in and filled in exhaust holes. Aluminum T-Bars by Craig Parks replace the bumpers. W decklid has flames painted on the inside and has conduit for the wire to run through for the license plate light. It also has a clear plastic lense on the backside of the license plate light. Decklid has a one piece aluminum standoff for increased cooling and airflow for the turbo. Vents under the rear window received ample amounts of paint. Fenders have new fender beading and are held in place with stainless Allen head bolts. Fender beading in the front is held in place under the front lip with aluminum clips. Fenders were fitted with the running boards in place and cut and spliced so that the gaps are uniform front and rear between the running boards and the fenders.

Pan:
The 1966 pan was sandblasted and painted with a tan urethane. One rust hole was patched. Has new floors on both sides that were replaced before I bought the car. The clutch cable tube has been reinforced in the 3 spots, and 2 fuel lines run through the tunnel. It has an access hole behind the carpet at the front for easy clutch cable replacement. All the washers that go between the bolts and the pan to secure the body have been chromed and the bolts are stainless Allen head. It has a Gene Berg mid mount for the 091 transaxle welded in place. New body to pan seal, new rubber everywhere on the pan (where battery cable exits, brake lines enter and exit, clutch cable and throttle cable exit, etc).

Suspension:
Narrowed front beam 3.75? with avis adjusters. New ball joints, new torsion arm to beam seals, CB Performance front disk brake kit with 2.5? dropped spindles. All painted a light beige. New TRW steering box, new tie rod ends, urethane steering coupler. Rear suspension has Sway A Way adjustable spring plates, Jaycee aluminum spring plate retainers, 28mm Sway a Way torsion bars, CB Performance disk brake kit with e-brake. Transaxle is an 091 6 rib case built by Rancho. See specs below. Transaxle is painted light beige to match front suspension. It uses a Gene Berg solid rear mount to mount it to the frame horns. Rear suspension uses Airspeed limit straps. Competiton Engineering shocks on all 4 corners (90-10 in front and 60-40 in the rear). All brake lines are new, with stainless braided flex lines. Master cylinder is a dual circuit with a Volvo reservoir mounted on it. TCI roll control (line lock) and Wilwood proportioning valve are used for the front brakes, and both front and rear use 2lb Wilwood residual pressure valves. Front and rear alignment have been professionally done on a rack. Calipers have been painted black on all 4 corners, and the outside lips of all 4 rotors were painted silver to resist rusting. Wheels are MWS BRM replicas, all 15? by 5.5?. Front tires are Yokohama 185/55/R15 and rear street tires are Yokohama 205/65/15. Spare tire in the front is a 145. Race tires are M&H DOT slicks mounted on MWS rims. In all there are 7 rims with this car. All tires are mounted so that the center letter of the manufacturer is lined up with the valve stem.

Interior:
Headliner professionally installed, and made by Wolfsburg West. Carpet and door panels are from Sewfine. Front seats are from Driver FX, and rear seat is original, reupholstered to match the front seats. Seat belts are only located in the front and are new Simpson 4 point cam-lock units. Roll bar is from Ron Lummus Racing and is powdercoated. It has the frame tie-ins in the rear and both door bars. Seat brackets are stock, modified with square tubing to sit lower and hold the aftermarket seats. Shifter is from Gene Berg, with line lock button mounted on it. Dash has radio hole filled in and now holds 3 Stewart Warner gauges- oil pressure, oil temperature, and boost. One-off, custom polished aluminum tach bracket holds a matching Stewart Warner tachometer with memory and shift light. Steering wheel is a Flat-4 Empi reproduction unit. Turn signal mount has been polished. All dash knobs, and window crank knobs are aluminum. Inner door handles have been rechromed. Battery box is a stainless steel unit from Rob Roetman holding an Optima red-top battery- one of only about 15 built by Rob. Fuse block is from Watson?s Streetworks and is located under the back seat on the driver?s side. It is mounted to an aluminum panel beside the CB Performance EFI ECU. All wires run through the heater channel to under the front hood.

Engine:
Powdercoated tin, polished throttle bodies, intake manifolds, sump, turbo body. Ceramic coated exhaust, turbo, turbo duct work. Read specs section for all the details. It is not over-the-top and only requires routine maintenance such as regular oil changes and routine valve adjustments. EFI is laptop programmable.

Specifications:
Transaxle Specs- Rancho
Pro IRS bus
Berg T-2 T-1 conversion
Super diff
C/M cover
Gusset case
C/M pinion nut
4.57 R&P
3.10 x 1.87 x 1.21 x .77
Folts swing axle conversion
Weld in trans mount

Engine specs- CB Performance
86mm Chevy journal nitrided CB crank
5.500 CB chromoly race rods, arp2000 bolts
CB dual pattern cam, 308 degrees duration on intake, 318 degrees duration on exhaust, 108 lobe center, 412 lift at cam on intake and exhaust
CB chromoly straight cut gears
CB lightweight lifters
CB/Manton .035 wall chromoly push rods
Jaycee billet push rod tubes
12.5lb chromoly flywheel
Stage3 Kennedy clutch with Daycon super disc
Mahle piston and cylinder kit
044 wedge port heads with LS-1 spring package
CB super case, side outlet full flow
Shadeck 30mm oil pump
CB valve covers
CB HEI ignition
billet crank pulley
CB Programmable EFI with full time wide band oxygen sensor
36h-p fan shroud kit powdercoated beige
Geers polished oil filter

For more details visit my web-site at www.tunedperfection.com
Or pick up the January 2007 issue of hotVWs and flip to page 78. And also see it in action on page 85.

For all the build pics go here:
http://www.german-pride.com/Joomla/i...g2_itemId=2306

Asking $40,000 CDN. Will work with buyer to ship anywhere worldwide.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
1956Oval2387Turbo-Canada1.jpg

[/img]
1956Oval2387Turbo-Canada2.jpg

1956Oval2387Turbo-Canada.jpg

[/img]
1956Oval2387Turbo-Canada3.jpg

1956Oval2387Turbo-Canada4.jpg

[/img]
1956Oval2387Turbo-Canada5.jpg

Brian Raftery

Administrator
Admin
October 25, 2006
Kiltimagh Co. Mayo
40,000 CDN = ?27,500 a New Beetle :NewBeetle: is only ?25,000 I know it won't stand a chance in a race against the oval or in the looks dept. but is the oval really worth that much for a car that you probably can't drive every day to work etc?

If only I had a spare 40 grand [-o<

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
I suppose if you look at it as a standard Beetle then no would be the answer but if you were to ever try and build one to that spec you would find it would cost a lot more. I think the main thing that shines through is the quality of the work. I don't think there is anything this side of the pond that has been built to that spec. Having seen cars at Volksworld show and Bug In, the only one that comes near to this standard is Russell Ritchie's Split Beetle that he bought for $50,000 earlier this year.
If I could afford to buy this car I would. 2.4ltr turbo with an amazing detailed resto as well as all the right mechanical upgrades to make it safe with all that power.
..............anyway, with your new garage couldn't you buy it and give it pride of place :D

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Would have to agree with Coxy on this - it's a hell of a lot of money to spend on a beetle but if you were to build this yourself to this level of detail it'd probably cost you an awful lot more. :shock:

It's funny but there is a good share of great quality cars (ex. magazine cars, show winners, powerful race cars) becoming available for a fraction of the build cost or the sum of the parts that go into them. At the same time the individual, new parts still cost a fortune if you decided to go the route of building a car yourself.

There are 2.7RS replicas fetching stg?50k and upwards over in the UK which is a small fortune for what is essentially a replica of a great car - yet, if you decided to try and save some money and build one yourself it would undoubtedly cost you a hell of a lot more... :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Don't you think it would look sweet beside your Porsche(s) and the type4 powered bug Padraic? Go on, treat yourself........consider it an early Fathers Day pressie to yourself!!!!!

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Brian Raftery said:
Coxy said:
..............anyway, with your new garage couldn't you buy it and give it pride of place :D

Well I'm looking for a few things to fill up the garage with I think my beetle looks a bit lonely in there on its own. :)

I have plenty of Beetles crying out for dry storage and that should fill the space perfectly :lol:

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Coxy said:
Don't you think it would look sweet beside your Porsche(s) and the type4 powered bug Padraic? Go on, treat yourself........consider it an early Fathers Day pressie to yourself!!!!!

will you take a trade in? :p