Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Get Insured with Eircooled's Insurance Partner - First Ireland

eyebrows63

Club Member
Club Member
September 4, 2008
limerick
I just renewed my policy with first Ireland, €247.50 for a beetle and a t25 camper .
Wasn’t asked about a cooker or heater .

Reactions: dee

gary1998

Club Member
Club Member
April 21, 2010
dublin
Who's the contact name with firstireland .. .. I rang Carol Nash they said don't cover a transporter cause unless a t2 I said a t3 is third generation t2 then said won't cover cause main policy is commercial and named on the missis policy no good all good sent email they called just have to tax van as private

Last edited:

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
Who's the contact name with firstireland .. .. I rang Carol Nash they said don't cover a transporter cause unless a t2 I said a t3 is third generation t2 then said won't cover cause main policy is commercial and named on the missis policy no good all good sent email they called just have to tax van as private

A T25 is still a Type 2 as well as a T3....... if ya get me?

gary1998

Club Member
Club Member
April 21, 2010
dublin
So update ..rang first Ireland back told them I changed tax book from commercial to private like they told me too .. they then asked for nct I said it has doe .. he says he'll check and call me back .. he calls back asks does van have windows and seats I say it has a seat in back but not for passengers even d'oh they knew it is a two seater van ..they that be grand but you've no windows .. I say what if I put windows in (I won't) he say well then that'll be a modification. Dick heads they cost me 100 euro extra in road tax

gary1998

Club Member
Club Member
April 21, 2010
dublin
So tried to get cover today on a1980 t3 ..she asked does it have nct I say no it's exempt.. they say get nct or we dont cover it

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
From RSA Website.

FAQs on Vintage Vehicles
and Roadworthiness TestingWhat is the definition of a vintage vehicle? This refers to a 'vehicle of historical interest'which fulfils all the following conditions:it was manufactured or registered for the first time at least 30 years ago,its specific type as defined in the relevant national or union law is no longer in production;it is historically preserved and maintained in its original state and has not undergone substantial changes in the technical characteristics of its main components.Are vintage cars pre 1980 exempt from NCT?Yes. Currently private cars registered prior to 01 January 1980 are notrequired to undergo a roadworthiness test. However if the vehicle is being used for commercial purposes, e.g. wedding hire then it will require a roadworthiness test.Why do vintage trucks need to be tested?Vintage trucks can be used for commercial purposes i.e. to carry a load, and this is why they are required to be tested. These vehicles are tested to the standards that the vehicles concerned were originally designed to meet. What are the changes for vintage vehicles that are currently within the scope of testing at NCT Centres?New regulations are:from 20 May 2018 all private cars registered post 01 January 1980 that are over 30 years old but less than 40 the requirement to undergo a compulsory NCT will be reduced to every two yearsfrom January 2020 onwards any vehicle 40 years or older will not require a test

Last edited:

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
Will vintage trucks still need to be tested annually under new regulations?Vintage trucks first registered prior to 01 January 1980 which are being used solely for non-commercialpurposes will not require roadworthiness testing. From 20 May 2018 vehicles between 30 and 40 years of age used for non-commercial purposes willbe required to undergo compulsory roadworthiness testing every two years instead of annually.From January 2020 onwards any vehicle 40 years or older will notrequire a test.Vintage vehicles used for commercial purposes willcontinue to undergo annual roadworthiness testing.What is considered a vintage vehicle which is used commercially? If it is being used to transport passengers or goods for hire or reward it is considered to be used commercially. This document is for general information only. It does not, and is not intended to, provide legal or technical advice or to represent a legal interpretation of the matters it addresses.What colour should indicators be on a 1963 vintage vehicle? Normallythe colour should be amber, however if the vehicle was first registered before 01 July 1964 it can be any of the following:(a) amber -where the indicator shows both to the front and the rear,(b) amber or white -where the indicator shows only to the front,(c) amber or red -where the indicator shows only to the rear.What colour should front parking lights be on a 1963 vintage vehicle? When lit they should have a white or yellow light to the front and red to the rear.Do pre 1980 camper vans require CVRT? No test is required on pre 1980 motorhomes or motor caravans

Zelim

Club Member
Club Member
May 5, 2020
Ireland
Hi to all. In process of getting club membership in this club. I have send my enquiries and send my payment, but no reply. I have purchased classic car insurance from First Ireland and part of a deal was that I become member of classic car club ( eircooled prefered) can anyone tell me if there is a phone number of a secretary or admin who could sort this out for me. Thank you all a d have a lovely day

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Hi Zelim,

It's not an automated process, I'll sort out your membership etc tonight and email you with your membership number. Your welcome pack will follow by post.

Trev
Membership Secretary

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
Thanks again Trev for looking after these on behalf of the club. You always seem to get these sent out within a few days.

Reactions: gerryjunior