Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Eircooled Soapbox Derby

Alan B.

June 22, 2011
offaly
There's a berg style kart here but my young lad would kill me if I hacked it up. Also, I noticed when I took it apart.....
For research purposes, the two front wheels and only one of the rear wheels have round bores with bearings, one has a square bore to accept a 20mm square tube and that tube slots onto the axle. Weird set up. Heads up for anyone using a kart for parts

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
There's a berg style kart here but my young lad would kill me if I hacked it up. Also, I noticed when I took it apart.....
For research purposes, the two front wheels and only one of the rear wheels have round bores with bearings, one has a square bore to accept a 20mm square tube and that tube slots onto the axle. Weird set up. Heads up for anyone using a kart for parts

yeah, the smaller version of a berg cart that I sold to Deckie was one-wheel-drive. Presume from your description that Bergs are too?

Alan B.

June 22, 2011
offaly
these are the DIY spindles i was talking about,
stumbled across them last week and thought it was a nice idea.
1j9heo.png

thats the best i can do with the pics as im not registered to view the images full size.
bt basically its a female threaded t pipe fitting,
and a couple of threaded brass nipples to pass a bolt through for the steering pin.
then on the last opening, a length of threaded rod with some nuts to lock it in place.
a piece of angle or strap can then be used on that section to attach steering rods.

Alan B.

June 22, 2011
offaly
think the buggy im working on at the min was built by that lad.
has loads of stuff around the place. old bug shells and that.

i did spot an old iron bath on there and couldnt help but think of cutting a 6 inch strip out of the middle and welding it back together.
up end it and ya have an instant streamlined racer body ha ha.

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
March seems to be filling up fast what with the rescheduled agm, paddy's weekend, the volksworld show, and did I read somewhere about another swap meet at Ruairi's?

Should we run this on a date in April instead? Weather might be finer too.

Alan B.

June 22, 2011
offaly
Thought I'd throw up my scaled down cocept of what I want to build, no prizes for guessing my inspiration...
Still waiting on steel as I've no roof bars and the fuckers wouldn't deliver

2vajqd4.jpg

Last edited:

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
this isn't going to happen, is it?

anyone want to buy a racing gokart with no engine? Stick a Hayabusa into it and you have something to chase the kids around the garden with...

DSCF2382_zps24c91fca.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
this isn't going to happen, is it?

Well I suggested the 21st of this month and got zero responses, positive or negative!

Ours is half there but if there was a solid date/time/location to work towards it might light a fire under us. Won't be ready for the 21st at this stage though.