Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Dublin Meeting

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Won't make tonight, enjoy. Plenty of pictures please.

EDIT:

Just noticed this thread has over 20,000 views. Its probaly mostly ourselves.
But hopefully a few guests are seeing it too. Well done to Brian Raferty on organising
this and keeping it running.

Last edited:

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah...was mad!!!

Supporting act finished at 9:15pm....10.20pm and crowd were getting restless with no sign of GNR. Alot of booing and even the good auld Mexican wave was going strong in the upper seated areas. 10:30pm and on they come. Halfway through the second song a bottle was thrown on stage and Axel literally stopped the song and said, " If any more bottles get thrown up here we're off ". Fifth song in another bottle (plastic mind you) makes it way on stage and straight away Axel stops everything and says..." Goodnight, thanks! " and everyone walks off the stage. 15mins later some poor woman was thrown out to make an announcement, "Sorry guys we are having TECHNICAL difficulties, we'll keep you informed. Another 10mins later some of the senior organisers came out and said that they were talking to Axel to try and get them back on stage. Finally another 10mins later after (after loads of people left) the lights dimmed and back on they came, but for the remainder of the gig Axels heart was not in it. He basically stood at the back of the stage and sang the songs. The rest of the band members gave it loads mind you!

It was my first time in the O2 but a number of people I was talking to said that drink throwing among the crowd was part of what happens mostly these days, but never at or on the stage. The crowd was mostly an older crowd but as usual there was quite a few "Scobbies" lurking around. I suppose having the Bars open from 6:30pm and GNR only coming on stage at after 10pm didn't really help...lots of drunken impatient people!

Gig finished at 1:10am....a little later than usual for the O2! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
No pics from meet, I only arrived late!! Nice to meet some new faces/VWs anyway!!

As for GNR, i was tempted to buy a ticket last week, I originally decided not to as I didnt think much of the last album, a girl from work was going so I got tempted coz she reckoned they'd play old stuff mostly - kinda glad I didnt go looking for tickets!!!

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
No pics from meet, I only arrived late!! Nice to meet some new faces/VWs anyway!!

As for GNR, i was tempted to buy a ticket last week, I originally decided not to as I didnt think much of the last album, a girl from work was going so I got tempted coz she reckoned they'd play old stuff mostly - kinda glad I didnt go looking for tickets!!!

They played ALOT of their old stuff which was great...probably 60% old 40% new. Some of the new stuff isn't to my liking either...but the old stuff sounded really good live...i was impressed. Possibly because he wasn't jumping around and just standing still that the vocals sounded better! :)

Still a good gig...and the added walking off stage section will make it more memorable. :)

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
I know it's over a week away but who's coming to the next Dublin meet? I couldn't make the last two so am definitely going to make this one. I should have the Bug with me for one last time after spending the last month rebuilding the engine... rebuild thread to follow, I'm doing a Liam - posting after the job has been completed :)

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
I'll be there, it'll be my last one before I start bringing the Seat Leon back.
Its going into hibernation next week.