Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Barretstown 2019 Dates

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
1. Coxy (Beetle convertible)
2. Trev (bay window camper)
3. Andrew (fastback)
4. Andy BT(bay)
5. Golfgossun (New Beetle Turbo)
6. Declan Burke (Beach Buggy)
7. Duts (1303 Beetle)
8. Aoife Bolger (provisional in her Beetle)
9. Steven Harper (provisional in his Golf Cabrio)

This is shaping up to be one of the best Barretstown events ever! Keep them coming everyone!

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
We'll be leaving the top square in Ballymore Eustace at 6.20PM on Saturday evening so if you can get there before that, it'd be ideal. I'm aiming to get there for 6.

Watch out for speed vans on the Naas to Ballymore Eustace road. They've been known to operate in the area.

Reactions: Coxy

Golfgossun

November 13, 2017
We'll be leaving the top square in Ballymore Eustace at 6.20PM on Saturday evening so if you can get there before that, it'd be ideal. I'm aiming to get there for 6.

Watch out for speed vans on the Naas to Ballymore Eustace road. They've been known to operate in the area.

Top notch, cheers Trev!

KarMc

Club Member
Club Member
June 7, 2017
Galway
1. Coxy (Beetle convertible)
2. Trev (bay window camper)
3. Andrew (fastback)
4. Andy BT(bay)
5. Golfgossun (New Beetle Turbo)
6. Declan Burke (Beach Buggy)
7. Duts (1303 Beetle)
8. Aoife Bolger (provisional in her Beetle)
9. Steven Harper (provisional in his Golf Cabrio)
10. Mike McCartin (1303 convertible)

Will team up with Declan and take the spin up from Galway. Will join yee in Ballymore Eustace and give a help out with the lifts, looking forward to it.

andrew

Club Member
Club Member
April 11, 2013
kildare
Sorry can't make it today as I am unwell and I don't want to take the risk with the kids hope you all have a ball

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
I'll let Steven Harper do the talking here. He wrote a great report on our Eircooled facebook page and here it is:

Barrretstown (Saturday past) the story below

so all 8 vws arrived, signed in and then the madness began!

We all drove past the canteen, lights flashing, horns beeping, us gingerly waving, not knowing what to expect.. only to be greeted by a wave of kids jumping up and down in front of the glass windows looking out at us, like as if they were moshing at a rock concert.

Our job was to chauffeur them from the canteen to the disco.

They came out in waves of about 20 kids per go with their minders. 2 kids per car A plus minder, and we took off. Always obeying the speed limit of 20 km/h and fully ignoring the kids laughing and excitements and shouts of “go faster” in the convertibles, they loved it, it was like a roller coaster with hands up in the air and horns always blowing, and in the the buses it was the same as they told their chauffeur (Trev and Andy) to turn up the tunes! It was a short trip of only 2-3 minutes but the joy and laughter was infectious. We brought the kids to the disco which was in the building located next door on the other side of the courtyard, but we drove the scenic route to get there, (around and around the car park) on arrival they had the red carpet rolled out, loads of staff dressed up in funny outfits and other staff members dressed as The paparazzi photographers, and excitedly taking video and photos, as the kids in style posed on the red carpet for pics and then enter the disco for the night to get high on fizzy orange juice and sweets.

I can honestly say, as we pulled up and waited for the next wave of kids to come out each time, we (the vw drivers) were all laughing and equally full of excitement, it was just so funny and so much fun, we were also like kids again.

Ok back to the kids, they are from all over, grease, Spain, Portugal America and Ireland to name just a few countries. Barretstown run a free program, each being a week long, and it’s all totally free. Well it’s free for the kids and parents, but still requires funding to run it for the year, and so we were constantly thanked for coming up and taking part. Between Barretstown it’s self and it’s hospital outreach they help 6-8000 kids per year which is amazing.

I for one was extremely proud to have taken part again. Yes it’s an evening of my time and it cost fuel to get there and back but to see the smiles and happiness on the kids faces is totally worth. Along with the aircooled vw club, The Porsche club and Subaru club also do runs.

Absolutely a brilliant evening out, if you get a chance please do it next time ( 1-2 more dates this year check this page for details)

65806426_10157226110523407_961977953095254016_n.jpg66222523_10157224973373407_7336165137864196096_n.jpg65377217_10157224973438407_5725844133222809600_n.jpg65827344_10157224973523407_9087323123778322432_n.jpg64296730_10157224973478407_4812667535574958080_n.jpg

Reactions: rolheine

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
I think Steven summed it up brilliantly. It was great craic. My Barretstown almost didn't happen. I got as far as J13 and my Beetle lost power so I coasted over to the side of the road to see what was wrong. It seemed hot and I thought there was a smell of burning oil. It was a hot sunny evening so I had no choice but to sit and wait for it to cool down a little before I could go near it.

IMG_5088.JPG

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Duts arrived.........

IMG_5091 - Copy.JPG

....................and laughed at me :ROFLMAO:
IMG_5092 - Copy.JPG

Trev followed and he laughed too!

The cabrio fired up again so we decided to go as far as the next exit to look at it off the motorway. When we got there I said let's keep going and we did. It limped along to Ballymore Eustace where Duts changed the coil for one from Trev's Beetle but it didn't really change anything. the only thing it did show was that despite Trev saying "the coil IS hot Duts, you might want to give it a minute to cool down" the stubborn f**ker kept going and couldn't understand how he nearly lost the skin on his hand :ROFLMAO:

IMG_5093 - Copy.JPG

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Anyway, we continued to Barretstown and it was running really rough but it was running so we did the run with the kids and afterwards we drove (slowly) back to J14 for fuel and food. We decided to motor on as it wasn't too bad so perhaps it overheated slightly. It got me home so that's the main thing. I took it out on Sunday morning to see how it would run and it ran fine so I took it to the Charleville Show but just outside the show it got rather ill again! I was at the show so I might as well enjoy the show while I'm there!

Thanks to Charles Gillman and John Filby, my Beetle is back running as it should. they couldn't figure out what was wrong but they wouldn't give up until it was 100% again. More of that in the Staff Projects section of Volksworld Magazine but what I will say is they saved my ass!

Last edited:

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Some go-juice before the off! IMG_5095.JPG

Duts doing what Duts does best!

IMG_5097.JPG

Lined up along the lake and ready to surprise the kids with our cars in convoy.....

IMG_5099.JPGIMG_5100.JPG

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
another great night out. If anyone is on the fence about going to a Barretstown event there's no need to be, just turn up and join in.
you'll get more out than you put in. Or your money back :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: andrew

rolheine

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2009
Dowra Co.Leitrim
Coxy,
what did they do to fix the engine of your Cabrio?.
I am curious because I had problems with my Beetle last week as well - it was rather hot weather, and both on Wednesday and on Thursday after 1 hours drive both ways the engine lost power, did not want accelerate properly in 4th gear around above 40 miles per hour and even died at a red light, and I had to wait 10 minutes, then it started again and worked fine, but after half an hours drive back it started to act up again (the same happened last summer on a hot day, but since then till now no problems at all - at the time I guessed it was caused by bad petrol, I guy I know who works in a garage in the Sligo area told me at the time that they would have a lot of cars in with problems caused by bad petrol!).

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Tappets! Everything else we thought of because it was giving all the signs of bad fuel then when the carb was changed we thought spark and finally we removed the valve covers and there was no movement at all. We still can't figure out how it started at all!

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Please Note Today's Barretstown Disco Run Has Been Cancelled

As we saw on the last Disco Run, thanks to a brilliant response and turnout of VWs on the night, we were done in record time so hopefully we can match that turnout again.

If you have a modern T25, T4, T5 or even T6 Campervan please come along because the kids love campervans. Last time we had everything from a Beach Buggy to a New Beetle Turbo so come one come all (y)

Time is to be confirmed but I would imagine it would be slightly later this time being a Friday so perhaps a 7:30pm start. As soon as I find out a definite time I will let you all know.

Friday July 12th:

1. Coxy (1979 Convertible Beetle)
2. Duts (1973 1303)
3. Trev (Bay Window Westy)

The next Barretstown Disco Run is this Friday, July 12th.

Last edited:
Reactions: andrew

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Friday July 12th:

1. Coxy (1979 Convertible Beetle)
2. Duts (1973 1303)
3. Trev (Bay Window Westy)
4. Mikey (1970 Beetle)