Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1971 Westfalia Camper For Sale

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
This van is now in Dublin and will be transported to Squire Georges allotment in Galway some time this week or early next. It will be for sale as is (i.e. perfect in every way) for the next month or two, and then failing a sale it will be sprayed and made all shiney (i.e. murdered) over the winter and sold to the surfer dash yuppie crowd early next year. If you want the coolest early bay in Ireland then buy it before George and I turn it into another Pat the Baker advert van. All details are above, but really the important bits are it is free from any rust that a worn facecloth wouldn't remove and it drives like a dream.

George bailed me out on this one when money got tight so it is a joint project and you can deal with either of us. I believe if we get €8950 (including plates and engineers report) we would be happy to let it go, but after the winter the price will be that plus cost of 'restoration'.

€8950 ONO

george

Club Member
Club Member
March 20, 2007
Galway
www.gacurley.com
Guys,

This van is now in my place in Galway, it was collected yesterday.

Now when it comes to selling vans, (as ruairi will vouch for) i don't pull any punches, the van is what it is, I'm not going to hide anything as you will see it yourself if you decide to look at her.

First impressions, she is a good solid van, you can tell that she is original, everything is there is just needs a good clean and after that it comes down to personal choice.

Mechanically she seems to be very good, I brought her for a spin when she got to galway and I'm very happy with her, I would have no worries about driving her anywhere.

Body work. Now this comes down personal taste, I don't like the rat look, if it was my bus I would spray it asap but thats me. Around the front screen is the worst and that is solid, I attacked it will and screw driver and it didn't even make a mark let alone going through it. The body is very very straight, one or two small little dents but for the year its very straight. The front screen is cracked and the window rubber is perished.

Biggest positive about this is it looks 100% original, no one has messed with it over the years. Besides the years of dust it looks exactly as it left westifilia in 1971.

So thats my assessment of the bus. As Ruairi mentioned, I helped him out with this, I never really wanted this bus and with the beach buggy project I don't want to take the project on for the winter BUT I will if i have to. So if anyone anyone want to take a look or make a offer I would consider it, if not it will be back up for sale next summer with a shiney coat of paint and all the dust cleaned out of her.

BTW if anyone does want to take a look let me know and we can arrange someone. PM me for a phone number

George

Last edited:

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
That is my dream van - pity my starting my own business dream kicked it in the ass this year - this time next year Rodders - this time next year. Someone rescue it before George takes out the spraygun thoough - pleeeeeeeeezzzzeeee :D

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
As far as I recall the only thing not OG on that Bus is the 30 Pict carb on an adaptor plate, that's how I build my 1600cc Dp engines when I want them to make good power and get better fuel mileage. It's the same configuration that my Green 71 Pop Top had and Dave said it was one of the best running 1600cc engines he's ever driven. It's now in the PDOD and just made it's second trip to England. The starter Button is not OG either but I like it, sort of an anti theft device, it worked so well when Ruaii was over for Shasta and I went to show him the Bus I turned the key and forgot aboutr the starter button and said it must have a dead battery. I remembered 3 months later and went out and it fired right up. Again as I recall this bus drove very sweet and maybe from sitting the front rotors will need to be driven some to remove the light coating of rust to seat the brake pads. Best of luck selling guys.

george

Club Member
Club Member
March 20, 2007
Galway
www.gacurley.com
Britt,

she still drives very very well and no problem with the brakes and yes the starter button is very good anti-theif device - it took me about 20 minutes to find out how to start it, and I had the key!!!

George

george

Club Member
Club Member
March 20, 2007
Galway
www.gacurley.com
right lads - van is going away to be sprayed sunday.

forget the price mentioned already - if anyone wants the van in its current state make me a offer all i can do it say no. right now i would just like to get my money out of it.

george