Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Parts] 1500 engine

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
:) although isn't the vintage tax the same irrespective of engine size..?

Yea. Both my bus and bug were €52 last year. That's a flat rate on classics once they're not your daily driver.
I just got my renewal on friday. Gone up to €56 this year. :(

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Yea. Both my bus and bug were €52 last year. That's a flat rate on classics once they're not your daily driver.
I just got my renewal on friday. Gone up to €56 this year. :(

it's irrelevant what the car is used for, once it's gone past 30 years old, tax rate drops to the flat rate :)

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
it's irrelevant what the car is used for, once it's gone past 30 years old, tax rate drops to the flat rate :)

Are you sure? Does that mean Twisted bug will get his tax for €56 when he tried to tax his coffee bay even though it' a commercial?

Genuinely, I thought if your "classic" was your daily or if it was being used for commercial reasons it wouldn't qualify for cheap tax.

Pre 1980 cars as daily's still need nct's and still have to pay full whack for insurance....... don't they? Or did I dream this too? :)

Last edited:

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Are you sure? Does that mean Twisted bug will get his tax for €56 when he tried to tax his coffee bay even though it' a commercial?

Genuinely, I thought if your "classic" was your daily or if it was being used for commercial reasons it wouldn't qualify for cheap tax.

Pre 1980 cars as daily's still need nct's and still have to pay full whack for insurance....... don't they? Or did I dream this too? :)

I'm not sure on the story with commercials but fairly sure the use of the car doesn't have anything to do with the tax charged. It might have a bearing on insurance alright i.e. annual limits, etc.

andrew

Club Member
Club Member
April 11, 2013
kildare
Exemptions from NCT

Since January 2010, vehicles registered before January 1980 are not required to be tested.
Cars permanently based on islands that are not connected to the mainland by road do not have to be tested.

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle Testing/CVT FAQs updated March 2012.pdf

Q.

I have a goods vehicle taxed privately; does it need to be roadworthiness tested?

A.

All goods vehicles must complete a commercial vehicle roadworthiness test in a commercial vehicle
test centre, regardless of how it is taxed. The motor tax category has no bearing on how a vehicle is tested

Testing is based on the type of vehicle whereas taxing is based on the use of the vehicle.

twisted-bug

Club Member
Club Member
June 11, 2011
dublin
i miss out on the 56euro tax,think its 330 i gotta pay:(.as for testing so far it does need to be tested but nobody seems to know weather it goes for a doe or cert of roadworthiness,as long as it passes either i dont care.

twisted-bug

Club Member
Club Member
June 11, 2011
dublin
am kinda hoping for the doe,they might be more used to seeing campers. the guys in the 2 vtc places i went to were pretty clueless.

58Panel-Youny

Club Member
Club Member
November 26, 2009
wicklow
i miss out on the 56euro tax,think its 330 i gotta pay:(.as for testing so far it does need to be tested but nobody seems to know weather it goes for a doe or cert of roadworthiness,as long as it passes either i dont care.

The cert of roadworthiness is what you get when you pass the DOE....

Sorry.... I mean the cert is what you have to BUY after you pay for and pass the DOE... :p

Another little money scam courtesy of our government...

Marathon Man

November 1, 2006
Tallaght, Dublin
www.myvws.org
So, if it turns out to be a '1500 case, with a 1300 top end' rather than a 100% genuine 1500, what advantages or disadvantages are there to it...? And what gearbox will or won't suit marrying up to it?

.... meanwhile back on topic...! :) I have a standard 1300 already, so as above would a 1500-1300 bastardisation give me any advantages?? Other than possible better oil flow...!!!