Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Eircooled goes to Germany. July or August 2012.

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Hello guys and gals, this has been discussed over and over again. Why don’t we go to the Volkswagen museum in Germany and maybe drive? Well I’ve been thinking about it for a good while, and decided I’ll act and start organising a trip to Germany. If the feedback is good and people want to go, we’ll go. If not, we won’t bother simple as.
Here is the plan:

Of course it will be air-cooled, I’ve looked into different routes and found out getting the ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg in France is the easiest on the pocket and our machines. It would also be only one ferry for those who don’t like travelling via the sea. I looked into driving through the UK, and their wasn’t any gains in going that route. France is such a nice country were we can enjoy small towns on our trip. We will set off over 10 to 12 days (dates to be confirmed later this year). Doing approximately three to four hours driving a day, tracking over 250 miles per day. We will be taking a steady pace in convoy of 55/60 max, unless people want to be stuck on the hard shoulder at some point.

What roads will we travel? Mainly secondary and primary roads seeing small towns and villages, allowing us to get a bite to eat and loads of wine. We’ll have to go on Motorways at some point and also to make time up if we get lost. We’ll be staying in campsites all the way, which will be pre-booked before we leave so everyone gets somewhere to park their homes.
When we get to Germany we’ll be staying in a hotel for one or two nights, with a very safe indoor carpark and height issues won’t matter. Yes you heard that right, you’ll be fine getting in under her.

Not everyone will be able to drive their classics to Germany, fair enough. Although we would hope that you would jump on a plane to Germany and join us in the hotel for some drink and banter. Followed by two days viewing in the two museums in Germany. That way no one is left out of the experience.
What will this cost? Bottom line. I’ve priced it up, we’re hoping to get a camper on the ferry (overnight ferry BTW you can sleep on board) for around €300. Steep I know, but remember that’s your accommodation in a sense. Add another €300 for petrol on top of that, along with another €250 for campsites and the hotel in Germany. So all in all about €800 for your accommodation and travel, not bad for ten days away from home.

The biggie, this is attainable. Its over a year away, plenty of time to save. Plenty of time to get our machines into order to do this travel. It will bring great publicity to the club, but more important it’ll be the club at its best again, we will try combine it with a show or two if possible.

NB: This is only an idea, prices are not exact due to booking restrictions, dates are not decided, its only a teaser to see if this is a runner or not.

Who’s in?

1) vwbeetle1500

Last edited:

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Fair play Mickey! There are lots of logistics to consider but starting now is the perfect time. I think you may find the ferry in July/Aug is a lot more expensive than €300 but certainly better than driving across the UK.

I think this would be a smashing trip and would be well up for it! :)

Who’s in?

1) vwbeetle1500
2) knk

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
If it's not in September ( Bonneville for me) I think I'll join in, would be a good trip in the Syncro as a support vehicle. I could bring tools and offer a warm place to ride for those with Big engines and no heat! :^)
Now with enough notice I may ship over a Ghia for a personal driver too.

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Deadly, great to have you onboard skipper ;) < sorry I just had too.

Well I'm doing a fair bit of research and it'll be fairly well planned out, thats why we need the year.

Its come up in the last two AGM's, and didn't want to bring it up this year with no progress.

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
A legendary roadtrip!

1) vwbeetle1500
2) knk
3) horizontal

Edit: just seen Britt's post - I'm flexible around the actual month

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
@ Britt. Date not set yet, we'll sort out dates with whoever puts their names down. September could work cheaper for ferry but not people with kids.

EDIT: Good to have you on board Aidan.

Last edited:

Eamon mc evoy

Club Member
Club Member
May 28, 2009
kilkenny
yep put my name down! dono what ill be drivin around then.. but it will be "aircooled"
niceone, greatwork!!!

be a deadly road trip:)

Last edited:

krissovo

Club Member
Club Member
August 9, 2010
Cork
I am a definite maybe, if the bus is anyway reliable by then chalk me down. Due to my job (and the bus) means I cannot confirm until probably March/April.

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
1) vwbeetle1500
2) knk
3) horizontal
4). Eamon
5) Krissovo(maybe)

Really impressed lads with the feedback, wasn't expecting to get this good a reaction.
@Eamon, good to have you on the trip.

@Krissova, good to have you on the trip, understand about work and the bus. Two things, the month before we set sail
I would kindly ask all to use their aircooled as a daily if possible. Any troubles will arise then. Secondly try book your
ferry with us before January, so you don't get screwed on costs. I will be bringing a spare 1600 engine working, if anyone needs it
on the trip.

Eamon mc evoy

Club Member
Club Member
May 28, 2009
kilkenny
1) vwbeetle1500
2) knk
3) horizontal
4). Eamon
5) Krissovo(maybe)

Really impressed lads with the feedback, wasn't expecting to get this good a reaction.
@Eamon, good to have you on the trip.

@Krissova, good to have you on the trip, understand about work and the bus. Two things, the month before we set sail
I would kindly ask all to use their aircooled as a daily if possible. Any troubles will arise then. Secondly try book your
ferry with us before January, so you don't get screwed on costs. I will be bringing a spare 1600 engine working, if anyone needs it
on the trip.

spare engines on roof-racks!!

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
spare engines on roof-racks!!

Hah no not on the roof, maybe Britt might have room in his syncro?
Also Britt, could you find me a 1600 for the next container ? PM me a price and I'll send the money on.
We might have a workshop rebuild on it if anyone has space to do a workshop.

Kieran53

Club Member
Club Member
October 13, 2008
Cork
A legendary roadtrip!

1) vwbeetle1500
2) knk
3) horizontal
4) Kieran53

Would definately be on for this. Sounds like it would be a great one.

Tom

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
athy
eircooled did this 4or 5 yreasago good laf ,,, but we did not drive there we got the plane overe .... would love to do this ,, but i think i will be changin napis ....

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
BTW Ross you'll be glad to know, we're not going near Paris. Doing the road map at the moment.

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Just got a 10% percent discount on the fare and cabins, anyone going closer to the time. I will need
your full name to get this. And then I'll get the token number for you.

The list as it stands.

1) vwbeetle1500
2) knk
3) horizontal
4). Eamon
5) Kieran53
6) Krissovo(maybe)
7) Ross & Aoife

Last edited:

shuggie

Comrade Secretary General
Club Member
October 27, 2006
SLIGO
Its a long way at 26 MPG - in 2007 we flew as club to Berlin stayed for two nights and took the train to Wolfsburg where we visited the main VW factory museum and also a better VW museum close by, we flew out Ryanair and back with Aer Fungus the trip from Berlin to Wolfburg easily do-able by train in one day.

Looked up Aer Fungis website flights as of now are €159.49 leaving 7.40 am on 2nd of September back the following Monday morning.