Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Parts] 2.1 aircooled engine.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
hi everyone.
i'm thinking of selling the complete engine from my beetle.
dont have all the details of it to hand,but il try remember-
it was built by Laurie Petty.only has abut 1000 miles since build.
cant rem the exact crankcases-machined for 94mm barrels.
with long stroke crank=2110cc.
mild cam-cant rem.the make.
041 heads
total seal rings
uprated oil pump+external filter.
solid pushrods.
009 distributer,petronix ignition+bosch coil
deep sump.
kennedy clutch
big bore,ceramic coated exhaust system.
inc.all tin-wear-could do with a coat of paint.+altenator.
genuine weber idf 41-chokes machined to same as44s.inc linkages+filters.
recently dynoed at 93 bhp.+compression tested.recent oil,filter+plugs.
some spares too.
i have the complete details written down at home,if anyones interested.
its still fitted to the car-so you can test it if u like-runs perfectly usually,tho it is smokey on start up sometimes-mabey coz i dont use it regularly,or mabey needs valve seals or something? also starts to run badly sometimes-seems to be after taking a corner/junction hard. i couldn't figure this out,but think mabey its a float sticking in d carb??
ring 087 3147920 if interested.
was thinking about 1300 euros.
need to sell in the next couple of weeks,to pay for subaru turbo engine!! can deliver anywhere in ireland

p0x

Club Member
Club Member
November 15, 2006
Cork
....also starts to run badly sometimes-seems to be after taking a corner/junction hard. i couldn't figure this out,but think mabey its a float sticking in d carb??

I got a Laurie Pettitt 1776 on Weber DCNF's with about 1600 miles on it so far. It also hesitates after cornering hard, dunno wtf causes it & been meaning to get onto him about it for a while now, but it has improved a lot with the miles going on it. Other than that, its a brilliant motor. Doesn't look pretty but loads of torque & sounds gorgeous - As Roadcow said its a lot of engine for 1300euro!

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Losing fuel in the carbs?

Yes, sounds like the chambers aren't filling to the right level and a hard corner forces the fuel up one side. I remember a few years back I was testing a bike engined off-road buggy. We were doing donuts and could only manage 2 or 3 circles in one direction before having to turn the other direction so the fuel in the carbs would be level stopping her from bogging down! :)

Nice motor for the POS! :)

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
Pox those DCNF's are not supposed to do that, actually they were marketed where you could drive them on the street and come up to a stop and slam on the brakes and have a perfect idle. In both cases stated above it's fuel starvation on hard cornering, float level maybe a bit low, or fuel pump is weak, but most deffo fuel starvation as Mr. Oval says.

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
Yes, sounds like the chambers aren't filling to the right level and a hard corner forces the fuel up one side. I remember a few years back I was testing a bike engined off-road buggy. We were doing donuts and could only manage 2 or 3 circles in one direction before having to turn the other direction so the fuel in the carbs would be level stopping her from bogging down! :)

Nice motor for the POS! :)
Mac and Coxy actually bought this engine between them as a Christmas present for me. Can't wait to drop it into my beetle............. Thanx lads, you really shouldn't have !!! :looool:

beag

Club Member
Club Member
July 16, 2009
Tipperary
Mac and Coxy actually bought this engine between them as a Christmas present for me. Can't wait to drop it into my beetle............. Thanx lads, you really shouldn't have !!! :looool:

Dougal if I could once more remind you of the image below

417.gif

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Shhhhhh Beag, the young fella's sleeping. Don't wake him up because he'll be like a dog when he realises he was actally dreaming! Maybe his dreams will move back over to the usual Jedward area and he'll forget the motor!